laminated stock options

shade mt

couple years ago i purchased a custom 7mm rem mag..it is built on a 1909 argentine action..and has a custom 26" barrel. And a very nice thumbhole stock the first time i shot it off the bench at 100 yds the first shot hit right around an inch high. Cool i thought its sighted in good. I shot the second shot and looked back through the scope..nothing...looked like it didn't even hit the paper. I thought to myself..good grief, don't tell me this thing is junk. I settled in touched off another round...same thing ...i was miffed...till i walked up to the target. I had shot a 3 shot one hole group that from a distance through the scope looked like one hole..even up close you had to look to see the 3 separate holes. Wow! awesome right?...actually no..I hate the stock..it looks nice..but it fits me terrible. I can't snug my cheek down on the comb. and when i throw the gun to my shoulder i have to adjust my head to get a clear scope picture...it is the absolute worse fitting gun i own. I am considering a laminated stock. But i want something that looks good...And i don't want to have to do a lot of inletting and i in no way want to sacrifice this guns accuracy....so any advice on where to find a nice laminated stock?

i guess another option would be a drop in synthetic stock..i prefer a nice wood stock. But i will say i really like the feel and fit of the hogue overmolded stocks, and i think you can buy them aluminum pillar bedded. I may go that route if they fit up ok...i'm open to suggestions...this gun shoots waaaaay!! to good to be sitting unused because of a poor fit.

couple years ago i purchased a custom 7mm rem mag..it is built on a 1909 argentine action..and has a custom 26" barrel. And a very nice thumbhole stock the first time i shot it off the bench at 100 yds the first shot hit right around an inch high. Cool i thought its sighted in good. I shot the second shot and looked back through the scope..nothing...looked like it didn't even hit the paper. I thought to myself..good grief, don't tell me this thing is junk. I settled in touched off another round...same thing ...i was miffed...till i walked up to the target. I had shot a 3 shot one hole group that from a distance through the scope looked like one hole..even up close you had to look to see the 3 separate holes. Wow! awesome right?...actually no..I hate the stock..it looks nice..but it fits me terrible. I can't snug my cheek down on the comb. and when i throw the gun to my shoulder i have to adjust my head to get a clear scope picture...it is the absolute worse fitting gun i own. I am considering a laminated stock. But i want something that looks good...And i don't want to have to do a lot of inletting and i in no way want to sacrifice this guns accuracy....so any advice on where to find a nice laminated stock?

If it is a check piece problem, I would look at adding a cheek piece to the stock to get the proper
fit instead of changing stocks. There is something about that stock that the rifle likes and I would
be afraid to change it and risk loosing accuracy.

It wont look as good with an added cheek piece but it would accomplish what you want. (Accuracy
and Fit).

I have done this on several rifles in order to raise my head to the proper height for the bid 56mm
scopes with high mounts.

If you are using a 50 or 56mm scope(Objective lens) they require high mounts and chances are
that the rifle stock you have was made when 30 to 40mm scopes were the norm and the stock
does not have enough height in the cheek piece.

That is another option,change to a 40mm objective or less scope.

It would be a shame to go to all the trouble of changing stocks and hurting the accuracy, (It Is
a possibility).

J E CUSTOM

J E custom

actually after posting this thread i was thinking exactly that same thing..it would be a crying shame to mess around changing stocks on a gun that shoots and looks so good. I had a hunch that the problem could be solved simply by different scope mounts or scope. so i decided to finally spend some time tinkering I noticed that the weaver scope on the rifle had a longer than usual eyepiece.. sliding the scope forward as far as i could still required me to back my cheek up on the stock..i had a cheap simmons laying around that had a shorter eyepiece.I mounted it and.....problem solved ...1/4" made a big difference..so i will be looking to purchase a quality 40mm scope with a shorter eyepiece than the original weaver scope. thanks

probably won't change the mounts unless i have to.. Almost all my scopes have eyepieces that are shorter than the older weaver scope thats on it..seems like a new shorter scope will solve the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.