Laminated gun stocks

Bad Bill

I have a question does any one know anything about Stockeys Gun Stocks or Boyds Laminated gun stocks. I have read bad reviews on both company's. I like stockeys because they have a better selection of colors over other companys but i don't want to waste money on a peice of junk, i would rather spend more money and get a quilty stock for my Ruger MK|| 308. Thank's for any help givin.

I have a question does any one know anything about Stockeys Gun Stocks or Boyds Laminated gun stocks. I have read bad reviews on both company's. I like stockeys because they have a better selection of colors over other companys but i don't want to waste money on a peice of junk, i would rather spend more money and get a quilty stock for my Ruger MK|| 308. Thank's for any help givin.

I'm Not taking sides but hear is my take on this.

First= Stockeys has been the best company to deal with of all the stock makers/suppliers I have
purchased. And I'm Talking hundreds. If he has the stock you want he will have it on your door
in 4 or 5 days.

Joel Russo stocks are fabulous and he is a man of his word (He meets the delivery date he gives
you) just like Stockeys

Generally I have been pleased with Boyds quality but the delivery is sometimes slow and if they
have to make it it can be up to a year before you get it.

If you order from someone like Midway or Brownells and they have the stock you want there
shipping and service is normally good.

Other stock makers have been hit and miss on schedule and quality.

I prefer Laminate stocks over all other types/material of stocks. Special purpose may require
something else but given the choice I use Laminate stocks.

Nothing against other stock types/material ,I just prefer to use what I have posted after a lot of
heart burn waiting on a stock and then having to repair or reject it.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks J E Customs for your help it is greatly appreciated and i would like to ask another question, what do you recommend aluminum bedding or glass bedding or is there much differents between the two and how much differents does it make between having one bedded and none bedded. Every where i read everbody is talking about having there stocks bedded and im not a target shooter but would like to get into it and where im going with this is i have a few rifles and non are bedded and my favorite shooter is a Browning A bolt 7mm Mag and it is factory and bought in the 80's and at a 100 yards it will bullit hole with the rite ammo and that is factory ammo so just wondering if bedding makes that much differents. Thanks again.

IMO, ACCURATE INNOVATIONS has one of the better laminate stocks available. good to deal with and a variety of stock options to choose from.

I have had 3 Boyds laminates and have been very pleased with the quality vs price. If you want a really top notch stock I would go with one from Joel Russo though.

Stockys is good to go for a retailer too, if they have it in stock you will have it in hand in short order.

If you want a high end custom stock, then Joel Russo is the way to go. No doubt on that.

However, for under $300 the Stocky's stocks are great. I have the LR Bobby Hart model on a 6.5x47 that cannot be beat for the price. Laminated, clear coated with recoil pad and 3 sling studs. Mine has 1-2 very minor specks in the clear and that is it.

I will say do not order it pillared. Go ahead and have your smith pillar it. My pillars were loose and would not do that aqain.

BH

Thanks J E Customs for your help it is greatly appreciated and i would like to ask another question, what do you recommend aluminum bedding or glass bedding or is there much differents between the two and how much differents does it make between having one bedded and none bedded. Every where i read everbody is talking about having there stocks bedded and im not a target shooter but would like to get into it and where im going with this is i have a few rifles and non are bedded and my favorite shooter is a Browning A bolt 7mm Mag and it is factory and bought in the 80's and at a 100 yards it will bullit hole with the rite ammo and that is factory ammo so just wondering if bedding makes that much differents. Thanks again.

Even though a stock has an aluminum bedding block/Chassis it does not fit your action perfectly
(100 %) because it is machined to a standard and most actions if not all are not perfect.

These inserts are advertised as a no bedding needed system. Some times they will shoot well but
99% of the time bedding will improve the fit and accuracy.

The plus to them most have pillars built in and all that is nessary is bedding.

If a stock doesn't have pillars I install aluminum or stainless pillars and then do a full action bed
and float the barrel.

The type of bedding to use is up to the individual but I like the bedding with metal in it (Like
Steel Bed).because of its durability and ease of applying.

The main reason for bedding is for consistency shot to shot.

J E CUSTOM

They guys for all the info it was helpful and i will have more question's before it's over, but i just found out my wife wrecked my King Ranch Diesel so i might have to hold off on building me a gun LOL. Thank for the help.

I have had experiance with both, the boyds stock from Cabelas on a Ruger MK11 30.06. Great fit and look, however I had to free float the barrel as the wood pused heavily on the right side. I ordered a LH thumbhole from Stocky Stocks for a Remington 7600 270, in bone grey. The fit finish and color are outstanding. Delivery was fast.I have pics if your intrested

I have 2 Bobby Hart LRT stocks that I got from Stockys. One for my Rem 700 338 Ultra mag to hunt with so I don't mess up my Joel Russo stock and one for my Rem 700 SPS Tactical in 308. I could only find one tiny flaw in one of the stocks, other than that finish and fit was perfect. I did end up Devcon bedding both of them, probably didn't have to, but that is just me.
I wouldn't get the aluminum bedding block ones just like JE said. Bed them yourself.
I highly recommend these stocks.
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.