Laminate vs. Synthetic Stocks

Is there any difference between the two in terms of affecting the rifles performance? Is the preferrence of one over the other merely a matter of cosmetics?

I'm simply curious.

[ 07-20-2004: Message edited by: Newbie_71 ]

To split hairs, the good synthetics (ie McMillan) is a touch more stabil due to climatic changes.
However, the laminate is mostly epoxy with a little bit of wood pressed in there. But basically both will work well with proper bedding.
Like you said basically a cosmetic thing...

Hey Chris, whrn they make the blocks of laminated wood that the stock blanks are cut from how big are they? Is it a 4'x4' piece or is it smaller more like 1'x3'?

The reason I am wondering is I want to know how hard it would be to have a stock that has the lamination layers colored to my color patern. Would this be simple and maybe slightly more expensive than a regular blank or would this be difficult and very expensive?

I have built a lot of stocks using Richard's Microfit blanks; with great success! They are heavier than synthetic, but they are also more rigid, and more comfortable to me personally. The laminated stocks won't shrink or expand even in severe temperatures, and they are water proof. You also have a much greater opportunity to customize the stock to exacting standards to fit you! As soon as I can figure out how to put pictures on this site, I'll post some of my stock builds. Good Shootin'

Give those guys a call (Richard's and Elk Ridge) both are good stocks. Give Bill Shehane a call also. Between one of those three, you should be able to get the colors you want.

Do you have to pillar bed the laminated stocks?

How do they stand up to Ultramag recoil?

[ 07-21-2004: Message edited by: dwm ]

Thanks for the help guys but custom is custom. When I get around to putting together my dream gun I want things to be very unique. This includes the very layers of the laminated stock. It will not be a complicated thing to accomplish. On the contrary I am surprized that none of the stock makers offers the idea that I have yet.

I do believe that any of those stock makers will make what I want if I am willing to pay for it. I was hoping some one here knew if the laminated wood was made in large blocks or blocks that were about the size of two blanks laid out forend to butt (L7 for example).

I will call sometime and ask the stock makers. Thanks though guys.

Another good source of stocks and colours is Richards Microfit, Bill Shehane.

Chevy and Ford discussion. Both work wonderfully when properly bedded. Lam stocks are 1/3 the cost of high end sythetic stocks, come in different colours and styles.

Jerry

4ked Horn - We get our blanks 35.5 x 12 x 3.25in (to fit two stocks) made with the colours we ask for, each lamination is about 2mm thick. Some unusual colors are very expensive to add but there is usually a very similar standard colour. Delivery time is quite long on custom colours as they have to make it the ship it to NZ. When you have an idea of what you want get in contact, we will sort you out....
wink.gif

Almost all laminated comes out of Rutland Plywood in NJ and they can make up almost any color pattern to include the Indian Blankets depending on how much you want to pay. However, it has to come in big sheets that the stockmakeer must order and then cut the blanks out. So it had better be a color he can sell otherwise he is left holding another 6-10 stocks that will not sell.

All must be pillar bedded and no differnce in POI and durability if properly sealed.

If you want to go laminate, call Bruce Baer in PA. He has 25 stock patterns, a duplicating machine and can mix and match butts and foreends etc.

My last Light gun stock was $245 and inletted.

That is hard to beat.
www.geocities.com/cmsqd1/BAER (717) 349-4077

BH

Bounty Hunter,
Good point, I forgot that Rutland controls the laminate world.
Gonna have to check out Bruce's selection also, I need a couple of light gun stocks too.

MikeCR

Bruce has had trouble with his webmaster and his site does not show much. He is looking for someone else to redo it AGAIN. This will make the third time he has had to go through that.

Just about pick a color and he can do it. Any style also.
BH

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts