Ladder testing

Just another suggestion, but if you can get Quuckload, try tuning your load to the OBT (optimal barrel time). I've done this with 2 different rifles now and amazed with the results. Have a M38 in 6.5x55 that was always throwing a flyer. After many different attempts at trying to fix the gun (stock, crown on the barrel, etc...), I was convinced the barrel was shot out. Once I started getting better using Quickload I was able to tune the load to hit on the OBT node. The gun now shoots .4 inch groups consistently. All I do now is tune the load for temp swings larger than 20 degrees.

I am getting really frustrated with the information being given with the use of acronyms. What the heck is OCW?. Post in front of mine wrote out what his acronyms is. I want to use all the information given but so often it is written in a foreign language.
Please put the information out there in a manner that makes sense and is usable to the rest of us unwashed and obviously ignorant loaders.

The "round robin" aspect is the only part of the OCW, that I am at odds with. It is my observation that over the course of so few rounds, the effect of fouling is inconsequential. The effect of breaking your solid shooting position after every shot is immediate.

Therefore I allow proper cooling between groups, but shoot all rounds within a group from a single solid position.

I am getting really frustrated with the information being given with the use of acronyms. What the heck is OCW?. Post in front of mine wrote out what his acronyms is. I want to use all the information given but so often it is written in a foreign language.
Please put the information out there in a manner that makes sense and is usable to the rest of us unwashed and obviously ignorant loaders.

Not to be condescending, but Google is your friend. Until such a time as we get an acronym decoder stickied (maybe a good idea mods?), your best bet is to type in a search on your favorite search engine. "OCW reloading" will get you all you could need and more.

It isn't optimal, but this is a fairly technical hobby-oriented forum. You aren't going to escape the jargon.

Having been a reloader for over 45 years I did not realize that acronyms were the only way to describe something. I have a fairly decent understanding of reloading but don't understand the need for acronyms that may have multiple meanings when dealing in a technical situation.

Having been a reloader for over 45 years I did not realize that acronyms were the only way to describe something. I have a fairly decent understanding of reloading but don't understand the need for acronyms that may have multiple meanings when dealing in a technical situation.
Well, I guess you can write out "Optimal Charge Weight" every single time if you want to. Feel free to write these out also:
Full Metal Jacket
Hollow Point Boat Tail
Soft Point
Protected Point
Round Nose
Lead Round Nose
Wadcutter
Semi-Wadcutter
Hollow Point
Small Rifle Primer
Large Rifle Primer
Small Pistol Primer
Large Pistol Primer
Combined Over All Length
Base to Ogive
Failure to Fire
Failure to Feed
Muzzle Velocity
Feet per Second
Foot Pounds
Inch Pounds
Sectional Density
Standard Deviation
Extreme Spread
Milliradians
Minutes of Angle
Grains

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.