Ladder test

There's more than one ladder test method. I did it for velocity through the chronograph. Not on target. I was looking specifically for a velocity node. visual on paper at 300 introduces the human element with room for error. I eliminated that part of the process. I'll group shoot at 200 and 300 next to make sure the rifle likes the load then start validation.

Why not do both? Shoot at 400 yards through chrony. That's what I do, then you have visual and chrony verifying your results for the flat spot in velocity

I did it for velocity through the chronograph. Not on target. I was looking specifically for a velocity node.
In no way is this ladder testing.
So you never shot, or intended to shoot, a ladder..

This 'ladder test' thread serves only to cycle the forum

These guys called it a form of a ladder test so that's what I went with. Didn't mean to confuse anyone. You seem a little upset by my terminology but I couldn't
care less. I may have made a mistake but the term ladder test for this form of testing makes sense to me. In your interpretation of a ladder test you're looking for a flat spot on the target which would translate to a flat spot in velocity right? I did the same **** thing without the target as a visual reference. I used the chronograph as my reference. The end result in my mind is the same. With a ladder test you are looking for a velocity node which creates a flat spot in trajectory. I did just that. What am I missing that the paper would tell me that the chrono didn't?

In no way is this ladder testing.
So you never shot, or intended to shoot, a ladder..

This 'ladder test' thread serves only to cycle the forum

Last edited:
The guy I'm shooting with told me that he had seen a 1/2 to 3/4 moa variance with the magnetospeen on heis rifle so I decided to not pay much attention to accuracy while using it. Keep in mind this is the first time I've ever done any in depth load development so I'm learning along the way.

Why not do both? Shoot at 400 yards through chrony. That's what I do, then you have visual and chrony verifying your results for the flat spot in velocity

Last edited:
The way you did it is fine. In fact it might even be better, I know more than once I retested and re-retested a load cus the paper didn't agree with the chrono or vice versa.

The way you did it is fine. In fact it might even be better, I know more than once I retested and re-retested a load cus the paper didn't agree with the chrono or vice versa.

Thanks. That was my concern. If I missed on my shot execution or something it could have skewed the test on paper so I eliminated the human element in hopes it would be a more accurate reflection of the test.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.