Ladder Test Results - 30 Nosler - 215 Hybrids

By looking at that I would say I would want a .210 FB based on looking at theirs and the bearing surface of .510" of the 210. 215's being shorter a .200 FB and with the 230's a .230". It's just my personal preference. Their diagram measurements are little misleading.
The misleading part is where they put the diameter at 0.295" (as opposed to 0.300" or 0.308" diameter).

I used Berger's bullet specs to set my freebore based on where I wanted the bullet to sit in the case and its relationship to the lands.

I can say with a pretty high level of certainty that APR really only uses the SAAMI Reamer on their 30 Nosler haha - mainly because Jimmy over there can not even find the print for the 230 to see what the freebore is 😂

He thinks their 230 reamer is around .190 - .210 FB and his best estimate is .196.

I mean I guess at the end of the day that is still better than SAAMI at .110, right?

Can someone explain what the real benefit of having this additional freebore is?

I can say with a pretty high level of certainty that APR really only uses the SAAMI Reamer on their 30 Nosler haha - mainly because Jimmy over there can not even find the print for the 230 to see what the freebore is 😂

He thinks their 230 reamer is around .190 - .210 FB and his best estimate is .196.

I mean I guess at the end of the day that is still better than SAAMI at .110, right?

Can someone explain what the real benefit of having this additional freebore is?
The real benefit is getting the base of the bullet out of the powder column and also getting the bearing surface of the bullet at or above the neck/shoulder junction of the case.

This does a couple of things: gives a bit more case capacity and also help alleviate any issues if donuts form at the base of the neck (something I've yet to deal with).

If I were to shoot a longer bullet than the one I set my reamer up for, I would have gone with more freebore.

The real benefit is getting the base of the bullet out of the powder column and also getting the bearing surface of the bullet at or above the neck/shoulder junction of the case.

This does a couple of things: gives a bit more case capacity and also help alleviate any issues if donuts form at the base of the neck (something I've yet to deal with).

If I were to shoot a longer bullet than the one I set my reamer up for, I would have gone with more freebore.
Appreciate the response! I guess that makes sense. So, would you agree that the .196 estimate (he does not know for sure lol) is better than the SAAMI of .110? I know ideal for 30 Nosler is around .200 - .220

Appreciate the response! I guess that makes sense. So, would you agree that the .196 estimate (he does not know for sure lol) is better than the SAAMI of .110? I know ideal for 30 Nosler is around .200 - .220
Personally, I don't know that 200 to 220 is ideal. In my opinion, what is ideal is depending upon which specific bullet you plan to shoot. For my application 200 to 220 would be too much free bore.

.196 is certainly better than SAAMI spec.

Personally, I don't know that 200 to 220 is ideal. In my opinion, what is ideal is depending upon which specific bullet you plan to shoot. For my application 200 to 220 would be too much free bore.

.196 is certainly better than SAAMI spec.
As long as the gun likes the bullet, pretty much strictly Berger 215's - heck I have bought 1,000 of them for this rifle lol.

Last edited:
The Berger 215 will have a pretty good jump (slightly more than ~0.030-0.050) at 0.200"-0.220" freebore if you load the bullet bearing surface at the neck/shoulder junction.
So do you think this is to much freebore for a Berger 215? From many other online, .200 to .220 seems to be the sweet spot for this bullet

So do you think this is to much freebore for a Berger 215? From many other online, .200 to .220 seems to be the sweet spot for this bullet
Too much freebore? I can't really answer that. Lots are doing 0.200"-0.230" freebore Personally, for that Berger 215, I'd prefer less. However, seems a lot are doing more, as would I if I were shooting the Nosler 210 ABLR, or the Hornady 212 ELDX, or the Berger 230.

Well I can finally add this info, my BTO after consistent measurements with a modified case is right at 2.780. I will load some new ammo and see what I get for numbers. Lessons learned on trying to be cheap and doing it without a modified case.

I will take some additional measurements and see what I can come up with for added info

Well I can finally add this info, my BTO after consistent measurements with a modified case is right at 2.780. I will load some new ammo and see what I get for numbers. Lessons learned on trying to be cheap and doing it without a modified case.

I will take some additional measurements and see what I can come up with for added info
Those numbers seem to be much closer to @Longtine88s. I am guessing that both of you have the SAAMI reamer, but idk

Those numbers seem to be much closer to @Longtine88s. I am guessing that both of you have the SAAMI reamer, but idk
I know for a fact mine is based off of my conversations with the guys when I specd it out (which oddly seems like a vastly different experience than you are having for some reason). When I talked to Robert about that specifically I agreed that the SAMMI chamber was fine and if I didn't get the performance then I would have them recut a deeper throat.