Ladder Test for MZ?

LanceS4803

50cal inline, 209 shooting BH209.
Working up a new load with heavier bullets, and want to get serious this year about accuracy. (All past MZ kills have been at less than 50yds. Not too worried about long range accuracy.)

Has anyone done a ladder type test for optimal powder charges? With a smokeless rifle you are usually shooting dozens of shots at 0.2gr increments to find the node.
How the heck do you do this a MZ? I guess 80 to 120 in 5 grain increments? With only one shot at each weight, that's still 9 shots, and you still haven't fired multiples at each charge weight.

Tips or past experiences?

Which bullets?

I tried 100, 110 and 120 grain increments (weighed equivalents) of BH 209, 3 shot groups of each. You'll see a best load; if needed you might then do 105 or 115, but that's all there is. Even with the 100/110/120 you'll see a pattern.

For whitetail I used to shoot 250gr Barnes MZ (beautiful expansion!). Worked on mulies, too.
Switched to 260gr Scorpion PT Gold, which performed fine on whitetail.

But, going for elk now and want to go heavier.
Picked up some Barnes 290gr Spit-Fire TMZ and 300gr Hornady SST.

I do like the Harvester crush-rib sabots, so will hope to continue using them.

I would suggest you work up your most accurate charge for the bullet energy you expect.
I've done Satterlee tests with BH, but one has to remember, its a black powder substitute with many variables. Even changing lot numbers can make a significant change.

50cal inline, 209 shooting BH209.
Working up a new load with heavier bullets, and want to get serious this year about accuracy. (All past MZ kills have been at less than 50yds. Not too worried about long range accuracy.)

Has anyone done a ladder type test for optimal powder charges? With a smokeless rifle you are usually shooting dozens of shots at 0.2gr increments to find the node.
How the heck do you do this a MZ? I guess 80 to 120 in 5 grain increments? With only one shot at each weight, that's still 9 shots, and you still haven't fired multiples at each charge weight.

Tips or past experiences?
Good question. Contact Western Powders. They should have good advice as they do tons of testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.