Lack of supply of 300 RUM Brass

dvor

As everybody knows it is difficult to find 300 RUM brass which I need for my 338 EDGE. Since having my rifle made by Jim See @ Centershot Rifles, I have not been able to secure any amount of new brass needed. Seems by the time I get notified that it is in stock and can get to place an order, it is already out of stock!
This is the response I got from Remington regarding the brass shortage.

Mr Devore

At this time we are devoting all available components and resources to manufacturing ammunition.

Currently we are operating at over 100% capacity at our ammunition plant and turning out millions of rounds per day. We apologize for any inconvenience, but we are doing everything possible to meet the demand. Please keep in mind that not all of our ammunition is produced every month.

To keep up with demand we have built and addition to our ammunition plant of 65,000 Square Foot. We will run brass periodically to attempt to keep up with the growing market for now we suggest purchasing loaded ammunition or seeing if there are some other sources that still have our brass for reloading purposes.

Thank you and best regards,
Remington Customer Services

This isn't what I was hoping for. I can't imagine people buying a large amount of $60/box of ammo. I can't see firing loaded ammo from my 300 RUM for the brass, plus I need new brass, not once fired.
But this is what is happening, like it or not..... :(

This isn't what I was hoping for. I can't imagine people buying a large amount of $60/box of ammo. I can't see firing loaded ammo from my 300 RUM for the brass, plus I need new brass, not once fired.
But this is what is happening, like it or not..... :(

If you can find some 375 RUM, it works also. I use it for all of my 338s.

The only other option currently is to buy the managed recoil ammo (Same quality brass) at far less
price per box. (I have bought it for less than $40.00 dollars a box) I have caught it on sale for $32.00 a box. That is still high for primed brass for the 338s but not to bad if you have a 300 RUM and are able to use it as is.

Remington Managed-Recoil Ammo 300 Remington Ultra Mag 150 Grain

The 7mm RUM ,300 RUM and the 375 all use the same brass so if you can find a supply of any of these you can use them.

Good luck.

J E CUSTOM

This is why I won't buy a rifle anymore unless the brass for the chambering of the rifle is made by Lapua. It limits me on which rifles I buy and the brass is expensive but it is top notch quality brass and I know I can get brass immediately or within a month or so if needed. Remington and Winchester have realized that they can make more money selling loaded ammunition and it seems like they have left the reloader out to dry. I also like Norma brass.

I bought a bunch of full power 300RUM ammo loaded with the 200g A-frame for 32$ a box. That's close to what brass is.

At least you can buy loaded ammo to pull apart.

I havent't looked lately as I had a pretty good supply before the "run on the bank". Actually traced to record firearms sales, not hording. I have about 100 peices for each of 3 RUMs and an Edge.

I just kept looking and would snag what I could when I could.

Got some loaded ammo for the brass that shoots so well I use it.

Keep looking, it will pop up. Of course don't pay the hoarder prices.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/Item/0011510188?Tk=DFBR in stock as of 8:45am PDT 6/22/15

Thanks for all the info on alternative cartridges to make the 338 Edge from. Is there a preference on which is better? Neck up from 7mm or down from 375. Any disadvantages or advantages either way?

Thanks for all the info on alternative cartridges to make the 338 Edge from. Is there a preference on which is better? Neck up from 7mm or down from 375. Any disadvantages or advantages either way?

I like to neck down if possible because there is no neck thinning and also when wildcatting, all you have to do is neck size until the parent cartridge will chamber with ,002 to .004 thousandths of crush.

This holds the case in place and gives a good fire forming the first time. also the accuracy is greatly
improved while fire forming. You can also use full house factory loading and not risk Squibb loads or seating the bullet long, touching the lands and dealing with possible over pressure.

With brass being hard to find any of the recommended brass will work, I just prefer to size down.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you gentlemen for the advice. I will start my search for 375 RUM and 7mm RUM if the 375 is unavailable. I have always necked up for some reason and not down. I will try it that way and see how my results turn out.

So this may be off topic but which is more powerful in term of pushing like a 300 grain 338 bullet? With all things being equal like barrel length, twist rate, both having the same free bore, etc etc. the 338 edge or the 338 lapua improved.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.