Lack of elevation travel in Burris Veracity

DNADave

I just returned from the range after sighting in a couple of my rifles. I had issues with two and want to ask about one in particular.

I was sighting in my 300 Wby Mag after mounting a new Burris Veracity 4-20x50 with 30mm tube. Windage was slightly off and easily corrected, but elevation was WAY off. I could never get it lower than 12" high at 100 yards. I know it might be cool in some circles to say their rifle is sighted in at 605 yards when shooting Nosler 200gr partitions, but that's not what I'm after. This same rig with a different scope (Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 30mm tube) was sighted in fine with no issues, still lots of lower travel in the elevation adjustment.

Am I left with either using a different scope or putting in shims as my only options? Looking to the wisdom of this group for help.

Check the zero stop. When we mounted ours the zero stop was set halfway through the total travel so it was hitting way high and felt like the adjustment was bottomed out.

Adjusted the zero stop, got it zeroed and killed an elk with it.

There was a part of me that was secretly hoping this might be the case but I wanted to check here, first. I'll have to check that later this evening.

just turn is sideways and make the windage point up .. :D then probably have to hit the end with a ball peen hammer to the right until its dead on ............ arrival

ya im betting that stop is in there and probably in the clearest part of the glass .. i didn't do math but is the a 20 minute rail or rings on there already

Last edited:
:) I guess I'd have start in the normal configuration, aim to get the windage set, then with the rifle stationary rotate the scope to get the elevation set.

Does it have the short, MADS style turret? Remove the turret cap, do your zeroing, then put it back on with the 0 on the white line. You are then zeroed and your zero stop is all set also. Pretty slick system IMO.

It does have the MAD turrets. I removed the cap and there was indeed more travel down. I adjusted it the amount I measured from the target plus the guess I made as to how much below the target I aimed. Now I just need to get to the range to test if I made enough adjustment.

Thanks, guys!

Dusty, I'll keep your idea in the back of my pocket if all else fails. :)

I was given a Burris Veracity for the same problem you had . I read the owners manual and the problem was fixed the same way you got yours fixed . I like the scope fine now with it's first focal plan redical .

I just returned from the range after sighting in a couple of my rifles. I had issues with two and want to ask about one in particular.

I was sighting in my 300 Wby Mag after mounting a new Burris Veracity 4-20x50 with 30mm tube. Windage was slightly off and easily corrected, but elevation was WAY off. I could never get it lower than 12" high at 100 yards. I know it might be cool in some circles to say their rifle is sighted in at 605 yards when shooting Nosler 200gr partitions, but that's not what I'm after. This same rig with a different scope (Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 30mm tube) was sighted in fine with no issues, still lots of lower travel in the elevation adjustment.

Am I left with either using a different scope or putting in shims as my only options? Looking to the wisdom of this group for help.
Did you bore sight visually or with bore laser initially? Could you have a 20-30MOA mount/rings mounted backwards???

That was one issue I found yesterday: the rubber bore pieces on my laser bore sighter aren't up to the job. Each of the four rifles I sighted in was way off in a different direction at 50yds. I'm not the greatest bore sighter, but this was a new level of low for even me.

Time to upgrade.

That was one issue I found yesterday: the rubber bore pieces on my laser bore sighter aren't up to the job. Each of the four rifles I sighted in was way off in a different direction at 50yds. I'm not the greatest bore sighter, but this was a new level of low for even me.

Time to upgrade.
We all have our forehead thumping moments. They are what keep our friends smiling. I'm beginning to think that's why they keep me around. :) :) :)

you need the long range bases that will allow you to get the elevation you need !

The Burris XTR11 5 X 25 all come from the factory with no down adj....you have to follow the manual to move the zero stop and make your down adj. May be the same on this model

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.