Labradar vs magnetospeed v3

Labradar or magnetospeed

• Total voters
I have been using a V3 for a few years and my #1 complaint is I can NOT evaluate a group off of the rifle I am chronographing while the V3 is on it. I have seen tight groups while shooting with the V3 on only to take it off and the groups go to hell. The V3 is IMO a very accurate chronograph but I don't ever consider the groups I shoot while it's hanging on a barrel and that does give an advantage to the labradar.

Attachments

• 20210427_183007.jpg
    20210427_183007.jpg
    969.8 KB · Views: 131
I got my labradar, trigger and external battery don't see any other way if money isn't an issue. All you have to do is aim it and arm it. Me and a buddy were shooting 500-600 and it was picking it up just fine. Also nice to leave at the bench and run a whole bunch of different guns. Trigger made all the difference shooting suppressed. If not shooting suppressed trigger isn't really necessary

I have a labradar and I love it. It works great.
That being said I think the magneto is a better choice if you wish long term support. First of all since it initially came out, with the exception of a couple of firmware updates nothing has been done to improve the product. The app itself was updated by apple today because it was too old. The latest firmware doesn't work with the app and if you need to get a hold of customer support or you have some issues you're up for a surprise.
Hopefully Labradar will come good and continue to support their product. A good move would be to make a recoil trigger std in any future version.

Hopefully Labradar will come good and continue to support their product. A good move would be to make a recoil trigger std in any future version.

Yeah it is beyond me they don't offer it when you are paying $500+
I email them a few times on various topics - their response varies from crickets to telegraphic and ambiguous. My personal suspicion is that they have a great product and are milking the cow as long as possible. No real plans to develop the business into something more.
anyway I don't really want to rant just to bring awareness.

You would be much better served with the Magnetospeed Sporter

Thank you. Although set up is awkward and lighting is not always ideal, I can swap rifles with the ProChrono and also it doesn't affect my POI. The new ProChrono DLX connects to my phone via Bluetooth so it gives me the FPS, ES and SD right into their app on my phone so I don't need to look at the little screen on the chrono.

I have a Chrony Beta, Magnetospeed and Labradar.
I used the Chrony Beta for 20-25 years. It is a PITA to set up, especially since it is so far in front of the muzzle. Ambient lighting makes it kinda finicky too... but , I will say once it's set up properly, I can count on one hand the number of times it gave an erroneous reading or didn't pick up the projectile. Can't attest to extreme accuracy as I did not compare it to another unit more than a couple of times.
The Magneto Speed was my second chronograph. I found it accurate, once set up I got reliable data. My issue with it is it is also a PITA to secure to a barrel and KEEP it secure. I don't care how tight you secure the fabric strap on a magnum barrel, between the heat and recoil you had better check it every 2-3 rounds.
I also found that the weight hanging on the end of the muzzle not only affected my POI but also changed my group size. Had someone on here make the comment that it could not change group size. Wait one, isn't that exactly what a harmonic balancer does?? The problem was it made my groups smaller on my main rifle, when I removed it, the groups opened up 1". The spacing is critical enough that I would miss the occasional shot. Another con is when switching between rifles, different size muzzles and suppressor diameters there were not enough combinations of spacers to get an exact fit.
I got frustrated with that enough I bought the Labradar. A gunsmith I was talking to from this site told me it was a complete game changer. I really like it, easy to set up and use, the only problem I've had so far is the unit picking up muzzle blast from other shooters in close proximity. Admittedly, it was my fault not having it set right for muzzle blast sensitivity.
This far along, I am extremely satisfied with the Labradar, have not used the Magneto Speed since...
just my .02

I also found that the weight hanging on the end of the muzzle not only affected my POI but also changed my group size. Had someone on here make the comment that it could not change group size. Wait one, isn't that exactly what a harmonic balancer does??

Hopefully you didn't think that's what I was saying in Post #65. It certainly can change both. I stated that for my rifles, with a suppressor already attached, I have not had the issue of group size or POI change. Glad you're enjoying your Labradar.

About a month ago I shot beside a guy using one and they are really very interesting. He had the idea that I leave my Magnetospeed attached and shoot over his Labradar to check velocities. It wasn't catching my shots through my suppressor. Too bad, it would be neat to gather that data.

Bob

Bob,
the remark I was referring to was in a different thread some time ago. I agree with your thoughts on the effect of the suppressor.
My only point was that if anything is hanging on the muzzle or even touching the barrel between the chamber and the muzzle, definitively has the potential to alter the harmonics changing group size and or POI. The Browning BOSS muzzle brake/tuner and the Limbsaver device both come to mind as examples.
If it improves or degrades it remains to be seen..
I do agree with Carlos88 about the Magnetospeed being useless to evaluate groups, and since I like to collect data and correlate velocities to POI, the Labradar becomes the better choice for me.

Jim

At the opposite end of the world we pay $1250 for the Labradar without anything, no case no tripod nothing! However, we are accustomed to being ripped off in terms of firearms stuff downunder!:(