Labradar vs magnetospeed v3

Labradar or magnetospeed

• Total voters
Like several have posted, I have/use both. I was so disgusted with the LabRadar because the mic missed about every 3rd or 4th shot that I was about ready to throw it in the trash. The support at LabRadar was of little help other than asking me to try different settings. Really tough (and costly) to develop new loads when data for a shot is missing. A person here on LRH recommended a remote trigger switch and that helped.........except if used with an AR15 or other semi-automatic. Releasing the bolt to load a new round triggers the LabRadar and then you have to manually delete that shot or the data is not correct.

With the MagnetoSpeed, I have found it to be 100% reliable. No missed or extraneous shots. No picking up shot data from the guy shooting next to you.

I have tested load development with both the LabRadar and MagnetoSpeed on an AR15, .243 Win, 6BR, 6.5 CM, .30-06 Spfd and .338 Lapua Mag. Your mileage may vary, but is see no measurable difference in POI. Any difference I see is due to the shooter (me). When developing loads, I shoot for best speed node first and change seating depth for groups so if there is any POI shift, it really doesn't matter.

So the net/net for me is reliability and I have to give a slight advantage to MagnetoSpeed. The cost is slightly less so another nod to MagnetoSpeed. The third nod goes to MagnetoSpeed since it weighs less and is not as delicate as a LabRadar unit. At our range I have seen 3 LabRadar units with substantial damage after falling off the bench. The MagnetoSpeed has an unbiblical cord that attaches to the bayonet that is short enough that it catches the control box before hitting the concrete.

Anyway.....my 2 cents worth. YMMV.
Uh...that "unbiblical" cord....would that be only for sinners or Muslims??? :) :) :)

I made my own forearm mount for the V3 recently and do like the way it works. Since I have been using it on this mount it has been much quicker and more solid too. I am now looking at making a more variable mount that will adjust for more guns, and in ways the wiser and m&k cannot, all while being much more ridged. I think the V3 Mag speed with a mount is the simple, reliable solution, and is small enough to carry in your pack when traveling. Lab radar can provide a lot of info, and is a high end instrument, but I am surprised to hear how many issues people are have with it. I was thinking about getting one, but I have decided against it. I shoot most of my target and development rounds over the Mag speed to get as much data as possible out of every session, and it works 100% of the time!
My vote is for the Magnetospeed.
Ding...ding....ding.....we have our MacGwyer winner!!! Well, done.

We've used both back to back, MV's we pretty much identical, but where the Labradar shines is ease of use, especially on multiple rifles, handguns, arrows. We run a long range company and I can get 20 student rifles MV's in about 20-30 minutes.

Both are great options. Labradar has more features and options but Magneto V3 is way faster and easier to set up.

Plenty of well written reviews and comparisons out there from people using both, some of them are above.

I don't worry about group sizes when I'm using the magneto because I have already developed the load to be the most consistent and I am merely recording a 5 or 10 shot string to use for my ballistics calculator.

Can't go wrong with if you are ok with the very limited cons of either tool.

No problem.

Battery:

Tripod:

Outside of Fort Worth at a private club.

And a Pelican 1520 case to put it all in!

Mine, pre-tigger: I set an orange speed square inside the case before I close it, that's my fancy aiming device.
View attachment 264577

Where I got the idea from:
View attachment 264576
QuietTexan...nicely done. Another approach, I bought a like new Dell laptop computer case at Goodwill for $3. Holds LabRadar, base plate, stand, and all accessories. Featured adjustable padded dividers like many camera cases. Provides great padded protection, carry sling, easy access, and great organization of gear. Fits like it was designed for it. Have since picked up similar cases for friends and our gun club LabRadar units. I prefer the soft case design over the hard case. Should one prefer the hard case and fitted approach ala your excellent rendition, a Harbor Freight Apache 4800 X-Large case would be somewhat more cost effective than the Pelican ($63 often at -20% vs $154), and is more than robust enough for the application. For one application preferring the Apache hard case, I drilled a hole in the center of the case lid to mount the LabRadar branded stand using the case in place of the LabRadar metal plate base. Avoided the plate cost and weight. No issues reported with raised height or stability. Plugged hole during transit/storage with an easily removable rubber plug. Can't beat Pelican, but the Goodwill computer case, or the Apache, might be right for our more cost conscious friends.

Last edited:
After a bit of research, I decided to take a look at the Apache 4800 at the local Harbor Freight store. Most of the stuff in there is fairly low end so I wasn't expecting much. To my surprise, the case was dimensionally identical to the Pelican 1520, designed to be a near mirror image, and is way over built for my needs. It also has 4 layers of foam including 2 layers of pinch foam. It has 4 heavy duty latches, a relief valve and is waterproof & lockable.

I'm sure it's no Pelican but it is more then is needed to secure the Labradar and plenty of associated equipment. My mini-tripod easily fits with plenty of room for batteries, cables, triggers, etc. I walked out with one.

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas.

As mentioned by some others, aiming the Labradar is not a big issue, I don't see the need for aiming devices. Also, I've never had mine triggered by someone shooting next to me. The only problem I occasionally have is it not triggering. This is usually due to either having it too close or not close enough to the muzzle. For my 223 without a brake I have to put it a little bit in front of the muzzle and of course off to the side about 12 inches. Other guns with brake just behind the muzzle. I think I'm going to get the trigger device everyone talks about.

I use to use a regular camera tripod and it works ok but is a pain to transport and setup and is bit wobbly. Now I use a bench top mount. I took a piece of 3/4" HDPE I had laying around, drilled it in the center and each corner for 1/4" bolts and inset a 1/4" nut in each of the corners. I am able to adjust forward tilt (elevation) and cant with the bolts in each corner. I just attach the base directly to the Labradar via the 1/4" bolt. set the base on the bench, aim it and start shooting. Setup is simple and I rarely have to adjust tilt/cant unless the bench it tilted. Takes less than 5 minutes to setup.

One of the ranges I shoot at has baffles to block errant bullets that are only 5-6 ft off the ground and they mess with the Labradar signal. I am able to tilt the radar downward slightly under the baffles so that the radar doesn't reflect off them.

Labradar mount 2.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm going to get the trigger device everyone talks about.

View attachment 265113
Yes. Get the recoil/impulse activated triggering device with the magnet for attachment. Will make your use of the LabRadar simpler, with no missed shots, unless you forget to arm it or attach the magnet to the action. Which I occassionally I have done...

My experiences with my Magnetospeed have been great! I think I've had mine for probably 8 or 9 years. It was the original model. Before they started offering options. I don't think it has ever missed a shot. I have not suffered POI shift or change in harmonics causing group size variations. I believe it is primarily because I shoot everything with a suppressor screwed on to the muzzle. With 12 - 16 ounces of suppressor hanging out there already, the slight additional weight of the bayonet has not caused me problems. I bought additional blocks and glued them together to fit my different suppressors. When I want to shoot a different rifle, I move the suppressor to it and already have the bayonet mount dialed in. It works for me.

Bob

I currently have a magnetospeed v3 and while it works very well for my current needs I've got some extra cash and have been contemplating a labradar. I like the idea of being able to chrobo hand guns and archery. For my rifles, I don't really shoot for groups while chronoing so I'm not sure it will give any advantages for that. Please vote and also leave comments on what you think.
Welp. I may not get a Labradar after putting this together. There's a video on YouTube that has something similar. I decided to go with the no drill method. Little more expensive.

I'll add a list of parts and prices tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20210414_205159.jpg
    20210414_205159.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 97
I currently have a magnetospeed v3 and while it works very well for my current needs I've got some extra cash and have been contemplating a labradar. I like the idea of being able to chrobo hand guns and archery. For my rifles, I don't really shoot for groups while chronoing so I'm not sure it will give any advantages for that. Please vote and also leave comments on what you think.
I have a labradar and I love it. It works great.
That being said I think the magneto is a better choice if you wish long term support. First of all since it initially came out, with the exception of a couple of firmware updates nothing has been done to improve the product. The app itself was updated by apple today because it was too old. The latest firmware doesn't work with the app and if you need to get a hold of customer support or you have some issues you're up for a surprise.

Attachments

• 473CF2B1-4C7D-483E-8FEF-722A355C6567.jpeg
    473CF2B1-4C7D-483E-8FEF-722A355C6567.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 74
Welp. I may not get a Labradar after putting this together. There's a video on YouTube that has something similar. I decided to go with the no drill method. Little more expensive.

I'll add a list of parts and prices tomorrow.

The finished product. Sturdy and stable. 👍

Attachments

• 20210427_183007.jpg
    20210427_183007.jpg
    969.8 KB · Views: 79