LabRadar question

Not to change the subject too much...where is the best place to find the best price on a Labradar? I have a Magneto Speed, but would liike to try the Labradar. Thanks.
Get on Optics Planet's mailing list for frequent emails with %Off codes...as high as 14% sometimes. They don't charge sales tax (outside of Illinois, where they are located) and shipping is typically free for orders over a small amount...never an issue with gun related items. I have always had quick ship and great buying experiences with them.

Just a quick follow up on my week end with my new LabRadar and Springfield Range Officer 45acp Target. The good first. The RO Target shot very well. My only complaint is the 4lb 11.6oz on average, trigger. To fix that problem I'm going to do a trigger job on it and I should be able to get it down to at least 3.5lbs. If I'm lucky:)
The not so good was with the LabRadar. "Probably a lot of me rather than it." Sense I was breaking in a new pistol I used the LabRadar to chrono the shots at 30ft. With the distances set at 5, 10, 20, 25, 30ft. " I know, first time user. "
All was going well, with the chrono, except a missed shot here and there. The problem came in when I introduced my Samsung Android tablet, running the LabRadar App. and Bluetooth into the mix. I was told by the Tech at Bymylabradar, who I talked to before making my purchase. One of my questions that I asked him was about the Bluetooth and App support. He did not hesitate to tell me that the App worked very well with the Apple Iphone IOS
operating systems. As far as the Android operating systems goes, It was not working properly. It had something to do with the Android systems Bluetooth using Low voltage Bluetooth signals. He stated that they were working on it and expected the update to be out around August. The problem that was accruing with my unit after using the app for about 15 minutes,,, "and at this time I still don't know if it is caused by the App." My Labradar REBOOTED. "TURNED OFF AND BACK ON AGAIN. At that point I only wanted to focus on getting 150 more rounds down range with the new 1911.
After about an hour later we move on to the Weatherby Vanguard 223 bolt rifle. We set up at 100yds. We set up the Coldwell chrono at 18ft from the muzzle and set the Labradar up next to the muzzle, 12in offset. I programed in the distances at 6, 40, 60, 80, 100yds. I did not use the App and tablet during this shoot. Other than 3 missed shots the LabRadar worked as it should. Now After all that bla, bla, bla, hear is my findings on the question of will the Labradar track a 223 bullet out to 100yds. YES IT WILL. We were shooting Sierra 65gn SBT GameKing #1395. And gentlemen, out of this rifle it is a Bug eye hole in hole just about every time with my 85 year old father in law manning the trigger. I'm sure glad he loves me, I sure wouldn't want to end up in his cross hairs.
Now the readings from the Coldwell chrono and the LabRadar showed a consistent 42fps to 44fps difference in velocity at 6yds, with the Coldwell chrono reading the highest and the LabRadar reading the lowest, and the LabRadar tracked the bullet all the way out to 100yds to the target on every shot that it picked up. The data was consistent all the way out to 100yds. ONE thing that we did to these 15 bullets was, we colored the tail end of the bullet with a black scripty.
I DO NOT BELEIVE THAT THIS HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE LABRADAR TRACKING THESE SHOTS. The reason being is that the LabRadar uses Doppler or X-Rays to track bullets, arrows, pellets, ect. The coloring of the tail of the bullets would only help the optical Chronos in theory. " The coloring of the bullets started as a joke an in the end we said, what the heck and went with it." I will end this Novel with a Question of my own.
Has any one that owns a LabRadar out there had any problems with their unit as I stated above, with mine???
PLEASE SHARE!!!

Patriot007, with the Labradar and the optical being so close in measured FPS, what did the SD and ES show between the two? Did all shots registered on the optical? I read where some were missed on the Labradar?

Patriot007, with the Labradar and the optical being so close in measured FPS, what did the SD and ES show between the two? Did all shots registered on the optical? I read where some were missed on the Labradar?
Yes, all shots did register on the Coldwell, And on the 223 set, the Labradar missed 3 shots out of 15. I have deleted the data out of the LabRadar, " I consider the data inconclusive for that day at the range. LOL, I was more focused on the Range officer 1911 in getting it broke in, and tracking the 223 rounds down range with the Labradar at 100yds.
In the next day or 2 I'm going to take the LabRadar back out and focus on it, and work out my bugs. My JKL trigger should be in here by Saturday. I hope that makes a big difference with the Doppler missing shots..

Frustrated!

I ordered my new Labradar last week, been tracking it all week long to make sure it arrives timely.

I went one step further in the tracking page and was shocked to find it has been shipped to my old address in CA. 🥵

I thought I changed my shipping address when it was ordered, but apparently not.

Tried to get UPS to redirect, but it is too late. They handed it off to the Post Office to deliver.

So not, I get to have one of my buddies run by the old house, pick it up and reship it to me..... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to wake up in the morning.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Got my new Labradar in Thursday....went through the menu and set up all the correct numbers, yds, fps, etc. and watched a couple of Youtube videos...all set for the range next week. Can't wait to compare it to the Manetospeed and see how close the numbers are. The Labradar wasn't that hard to configure at all. Hope it's not raining!

I've read that it looses tracking on the 233 at about 50yds. I will know more about it by Sunday afternoon.

i get tracking out to 90 yds pretty consistently. That is my farthest reading.

The greatest thing about the Lab Radar is you never have to worry about shooting any bullets that are affected by the Labradar.. Personally I don't want any wasted bullets with POI change..

i really like that part too and the ability to use with pistols.

@Patriot007 ....forget the app for now. It doesn't really work with IOS well either. It is not a live connection is the failure point. That has everything to do with their programming. It is setup to connect, disconnect, reconnect. It always gets lost in about 2 min when it should reconnect...total pain in my ***.

Yep, That's what the tech said at Buymylabradar before I ordered it. The low power Bluetooth that the androids uses is the problem. He stated that the new revised app for android should be out by August. I have my JKL trigger now in hand and look forward to testing it tomorrow. My wife knows I'm dyeing to use it and she keeps adding to the savoring the moment. When I got up this morning I only had 2 things I had to get done today. Now, thanks to her I have a full work day and then some. Oh well, every thing is normal.

Last edited:
i get tracking out to 90 yds pretty consistently. That is my farthest reading.

i really like that part too and the ability to use with pistols.

@Patriot007 ....forget the app for now. It doesn't really work with IOS well either. It is not a live connection is the failure point. That has everything to do with their programming. It is setup to connect, disconnect, reconnect. It always gets lost in about 2 min when it should reconnect...total pain in my ***.

Did the App cause your LabRadar to reboot it's self ???? <Turn off and Back on again?>

No, just lost connection alot
That's, what worries me about mine. The rebooting part. Things were working great, then it started missing shots. The tablet was showing a message stating that it had lost connection, and the LabRadar rebooted. It did not loose any data and it started off at the last shot in the series that it recorded Also we were shooting pistols with out an external trigger.
Add in the fact that is was our first time using it and I was more focused on my new R O 1911 Target.,,, The 223, shoot I did not use the App and the LabRadar worked as it should, but it missed 3 shots in a 15 shot series. I'm happy to say, it did not reboot, and it tracked the shots out to 100yds. If I'm lucky, it's the app causing the problem. I now have a JKL external trigger, so the missed shots should go away. I will know more tomorrow afternoon if it doesn't rain.

My feeling is, that's a whole bunch of money to get the same thing the Magneto speed is already giving you. I have heard all of the stories about having something strapped on your barrel will ruin you're groups, I personally find this not to be true. POI can shift a little bit depending on the thickness of the barrel but who cares, sight in once you have found what you need to know. After spending $600 bucks on a LR, I shouldn't have to rig up a special stand or buy another $35 dollar part to make sure all my shots record. Strapped the MS onto the barrel on day one and have never had a shot not record or appear to be way off from what I know the load should approx. be at. This is just my personal experience and if you really feel the need for a Lab Radar, go for it, you're the guy who's putting his hard earned dollars out there. For me that's two more fresh barrels. :)

I thought long and hard about getting a Lab radar and watched others fight the really fast,small bullets and also pick up other peoples shots at the range so I decided against it for those and other reasons. I cant personally give a good opinion, because I haven't owned one. I have an Oehler 35 P That is very accurate, but difficult to set up at a busy range. (You have to shut the range down in order to jet it out front of your muzzle. The Magneto speed has solved these problems and I use it more than the Oehler because of than convenience.

The plus side of the Magneto speed is the accurate muzzle velocity it gives. I don't attach it when I am accuracy testing or sighting in but I have not found accuracy loss when using it to work up loads because of its minimum weight. I have occasionally set the Oehler up In front of the target, and placed the Magneto speed on the muzzle just to find the total loss in velocity for 100 yards for really good ballistic input for longer shots where I didn't believe the published Bullet BC's.

Easy to use and set up and also inexpensive make the Magneto speed a winner in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

That's, what worries me about mine. The rebooting part. Things were working great, then it started missing shots. The tablet was showing a message stating that it had lost connection, and the LabRadar rebooted.

I would run without the app and see if the "rebooting" issue goes away. I think that has to be figured out. Maybe you have a faulty unit??

I thought long and hard about getting a Lab radar and watched others fight the really fast,small bullets and also pick up other peoples shots at the range so I decided against it for those and other reasons. I cant personally give a good opinion, because I haven't owned one. I have an Oehler 35 P That is very accurate, but difficult to set up at a busy range. (You have to shut the range down in order to jet it out front of your muzzle. The Magneto speed has solved these problems and I use it more than the Oehler because of than convenience.

The plus side of the Magneto speed is the accurate muzzle velocity it gives. I don't attach it when I am accuracy testing or sighting in but I have not found accuracy loss when using it to work up loads because of its minimum weight.

The Oehler 35 P is a great product, I hear, but yes.....hard to setup. The magneto speed fixes the setup issues, but creates issues related to accuracy, poi with it attached.

My Labradar has been great. I focus on distance from bore, height and aim on target. I adjust forward and backward to get it away from brake blast.

I haven't needed add on sights, triggers, or anything other than a desktop tripod, battery and 90 deg USB Cable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.