Labradar not reading

I used my son-in-law's Labradar at a local range testing loads at the 100 yd range. I was at one end near a wall to my right and there were 3 beams above and across all lanes 25 yds apart (I guess used for placing closer targets, but have never seen it used for this purpose). I could not get the Labradar to record my shots regardless of what I did to the settings. As a matter of fact, it recorded things not related to my rifle (echoes??). A few weeks later I used it again at a long-range location with open space around me. Worked like a charm. Reading the manual I found warnings about the surrounding conditions when you use the unit. I have to accept that this may have been the issue at the 100 yd range.

FEENIX,
No offense taken...could very well be SOMETHING I'm doing wrong, but I have followed the LR instructions to the "T" and set as per some of the suggestions mention here. I will mess with it a little bit more.
They are not perfect (esp. the instructions that came with it) but are very good, but like most LR owners, we had varying learning curves. My first two outings were very frustrating and unproductive. I did many YouTube searches, and that's when I ran into JKL trigger, quadpod set-up (I built my own), and other lessons shared by others. Believe me, I still have plenty to learn, but previous frustrations are now a thing of the past. Good luck!

I do appreciate what you are saying and will keep working with it. Hopefully I can get it to working.
Has it ever recorded any bullet velocity?

If not, good chance it's in need of factory inspection and repair.

If so, maybe worth putting more effort into it using some cheap ammo. I've used .22LR in the past to confirm proper function of both optical chronographs and the LabRadar unit. Sessions soley devoted to chronograph function and operation. That way you can test the unit without fretting about ammo cost or groups on target.

I've been running the LabRadar since shortly after they became available. It's been reliable for me. Then last week mine wouldn't record bullet speed in the backyard from a location near the greenhouse. Relocated it 10 feet as a last resort and then no further problems. Not sure why that one setup location was problematic. That's the only quirky incident I can recall over the past several years.

I have never used mine at a gun range with other guns going off next to me. Just as soon go to the dentist.

Yesterday I ran it with the JKL trigger device for the first time, and it worked well. Only headache was working the bolt could cause false triggers from the JKL, which would require that I push the enter button on the Labradar.

Last edited:
Ordered one for mine. Ships tomorrow. They just came back in stock. Tired of others triggering it on noisy days

Yes...it has recorded 2 shots.
I'd be bummed too at $400 per recorded bullet velocity. Odds are good you have a defect.

The two causes of the majority of my failed captures are the wrong velocity (rifle versus pistol) setting after recording some pistol rounds, and... failing to arm the radar (blue LED not switched over to orange prior to shot being fired).

Might set it to pistol velocity (<1,400fps) and try a number of .22 LR bullets. If no velocities are captured, time to cry Uncle. Call the factory Rep and send it in for inspection and repair.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with contacting Labradar, and sending it in for evaluation.

I've had a loose wire resoldered, and they replaced a cracked rear cover.

I've considered buying one in the past.
But....
That's a lot of money for a product that seems to be finicky.
I really don't find them finicky. It just has some limitations. They just need a stable non moving platform. As it's Doppler chronograph there are some situations where it's difficult to aim. The best example is on a range with walls; whether side or frontal walls. It's a wide beam. I love mine and see it as having more positive then negative aspects.

Mine didn't record this past weekend. I reset the settings and then it worked fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts