Labradar and .224 bullets

rogerstv

Bought a brand new Labradar. During the maiden trip to range, it read only 1 out of 8 to 10 shots from my .22-250. I switched to a .30-06 and it read every one. I moved the radar all around in relation to the muzzle except for directly overhead. I aimed, re-aimed, and aimed the radar again. I was shooting at a 200 yard target butt.

Research is guiding me towards an external trigger from JKL.

Before buying anything else, I am considering one more trip to try aiming both the radar and firearm at a closer target butt. I am also considering building something to mount the radar over the top of the firearm. Is there anything else I should try before putting more money into an already expensive piece of equipment? I figured at $500+ the darn thing would read all of my shots. Not cause me more gray hair and cost me more money.

The .22-250 is not suppressed and does not have a brake.

I spoke with Labradar. They want me to position the .22-250 muzzle about two inches behind and six inches to the side of the unit. Blast pressure from .22-250 not enough to trigger the unit unless all are positioned perfectly. I believe I had them configured that way at one point. But, I will try again to confirm or deny.

According to LR, only place unit on top when shooting large caliber firearms with brakes. And, do not use an external trigger as it can provide false readings. I did not expect this large of a learning curve. Was hoping for....unbox it, use it, and love it. Not quite the case.

Will post results after next range trip.

Most everyone that I know who uses a LabRadar praises the external inertia trigger. I used one and it worked great. The only thing you can't do is slam the bolt home because it will trigger the LR. Even that's no big deal. The unit will just display an acquisition error. Hit "ok" and you're good to go.

I haven't been having any triggering issues lately and don't even use the inertia trigger anymore.

I shoot my 223 next to my Labradar with no issues. Usually, barrel is 6 inches to the side and just a bit infront of the unit. With all my rifles, brakes and no brakes, I might miss 1 out of every 500 shots. Make sure you have a good stand for it as the wind can move it and you will miss shots that way. BTW, my braked rifles are usually 6 to 8 inches past the unit with no problems.

Count me in the Love it group. I use mine almost every week and have had it since they were introduced and while there have been a few times I struggled to get readings it was usually alignment/ muzzle blast caused problems.

The only real problem I had was when using my 500 S&W rifle. I was working up loads with several different bullet weights and powders. I got many "failed to read" issues. As it turned out, the velocities varied from less then 1,600 ft/sec to 2,300 ft/sec. The LR must be set up for pistol velocities OR rifle velocities where 1,600 ft/sec is the breaking point. If you are shooting bullets that around 1,600 ft/sec it can be problematic to switch back and forth.

Bought a brand new Labradar. During the maiden trip to range, it read only 1 out of 8 to 10 shots from my .22-250. I switched to a .30-06 and it read every one. I moved the radar all around in relation to the muzzle except for directly overhead. I aimed, re-aimed, and aimed the radar again. I was shooting at a 200 yard target butt.

Research is guiding me towards an external trigger from JKL.

Before buying anything else, I am considering one more trip to try aiming both the radar and firearm at a closer target butt. I am also considering building something to mount the radar over the top of the firearm. Is there anything else I should try before putting more money into an already expensive piece of equipment? I figured at $500+ the darn thing would read all of my shots. Not cause me more gray hair and cost me more money.

The .22-250 is not suppressed and does not have a brake.
Yes, the https://jklprecision.com/ is the best $35 (not sure of current cost) investment I have ever made. Most of us went through learning pains at varying levels.

I have zero issues with my lab using a recoil trigger. Most everything I shoot is suppressed so I have to have it. It works so well I never use the lab with out. Running my 204 at 3800 fps it never misses a shot. I've also run my 17hmr at 2600. It has no issue picking up those small bullets.

Yes the lab will trigger with bolt slams and stuff like that but with the recoil trigger you can set the lab closer to you so you can arm and disarm or clear a false trigger easily. You can also set the sensitivity level.

I shoot 5.56, and .224 Valkyrie both suppressed and unsuppressed with no problems once I get the unit settings and aiming adjusted correctly. The smaller calibers do seem to be a little more finicky. I have found it easier since I mounted an aftermarket aiming accessory on the Labradar. I normally have the unit 6-12" to the side and about the same distance from the muzzle. As noted above, if you try it with subsonic ammo, you need to switch to pistol settings.

I use my LabRadar all the time, different rifles need different positions relative to the microphones to effectively trigger the unit. Usually I can get by with the unit being about a foot back from the muzzle and six inches to the side. this works for both braked and un-braked rifles.
One other thing, if you have a light fast round you may be faster than the 3900 fps the LabRadar limit. Done that with some 40 grain bullet loads.

If I hadn't found the JKL trigger I would have sent my LabRadar back. With it, I can actually use it as intended.

I man I know bought 3 of them and had problems with them all, until, while being the chrono man at a major pistol match, they all died.

Needless to say he wasn't happy, had them fixed (no charge IIRC) and got rid of them.