Lab radar opinions

One of the guys on here helped sort me out with the display on metric. If you touch the LabRadar icon at the top left of the screen a menu will appear, the display settings are in there. If that doesn't work put your finger on the left hand edge of the screen and swipe right. My phone (andriod) doesn't disconnect so I can't help with that sorry.
Swiping from the left works, thanks. I tried using the icon on the upper left many times last week when using it, and nothing happens.

Settings changed. Will see if I can figure out the disconnect now.

Called Labradar...they said that if it is fighting to connect to other devices then that can throw a disconnect. It has been hot enough recently where I leave my truck on at the range with the AC on and switch rifles and cool the resting one off in the truck. So that may be my issue. Will ensure the stereo is turned off at the range.

Vette - hopefully that helps you.

Thanks. Truck is off, but it may be trying to go between the phone and iPad. Will be sure to only have one of those on the bench at a time and see if that helps.

Anyone know how to create/start a new Series/string using the LabRadar App from their Bluetooth connected device? I couldn't figure it out... A new Series was created for me once while I was fumbling with my Android, but I couldn't figure out how to start a new Series or string again... :confused:

I'm looking for experiences and reviews on the lab radar chrono. Do you own one? How is it to work with? Would you recommend it?
Thanks guys
I have had one for about a year now and i am very pleased with it. I upgraded from the magnetospeed which i always had problems with. The Labradar i find is easy to set up and is easy to use. I have the bench mount plate and i also purchased the usb battery bank so i do not have to buy batteries for it.

Anyone know how to create/start a new Series/string using the LabRadar App from their Bluetooth connected device? I couldn't figure it out... A new Series was created for me once while I was fumbling with my Android, but I couldn't figure out how to start a new Series or string again... :confused:
From series list tag the + in the top bar.

Last weekend I learned the LabRadar will detect 357 Magnum and .454 Casull bullets on the far side of a 4'x4' cardboard target.

I had the cardboard target set 33yds from the the muzzle and the LabRadar. I had the LabRadar set to read bullet velocities @ 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25yds. After 4 shots, the Bluetooth connection was lost to my Android tablet. I turned the LabRadar off, and back on again, and regained a Bluetooth connection. I then shot another 14 times thinking the range settings were still 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25yds. After loading the bullet velocity data to my desktop computer and printing out on 11"x17" paper, I saw that the data for those last 14 shots was skewed compared to the first 4 shots.

I eventually realized the LabRadar range settings had reverted back to the settings I use when recording rifle bullet velocities, which are 15, 30, 45, 60, and 75yds. In 13 of those last 14 shots fired, the bullet velocities were recorded all the way out to 75yds. There was one bullet with bullet speed recorded to 30yds, but no farther.
The other 13 bullet velocities were recorded on the far side of my 33yd cardboard target at 45, 60, and 75yds.

Magic! Go figure. Evidently, radar function was not impeded by the thickness of my cardboard target. So you can teach an old dog new tricks after all.

Have you all tested speeds collected by your lab radars vs speeds collected from other chronos? I ran a parallel test with a magneto speed and was getting between 10 and 25 FPS faster on the lab radar.

I have also always wondered if it truly was reading bullet speeds at the various distances to just doing the ballistic math. Stories of rounds being tracked behind targets really makes me wonder.

If ultrasound can see inside of a human and identify the sex of fetuses in the womb, is it a huge leap of faith that radar could transmit thru a 1/4" sheet of cardboard?

I believe radar uses electromagnetic waves in the radio and microwave lengths. Radio transmission penetrates much more than cardboard.

I'd believe a LabRadar MV over the MagnetoSpeed.

But that's just me. Everyone can believe what they want. We've got one member on here that uses a stop watch to record his MVs. Was good enough for him. Or maybe it was a $25 chronograph. One and the same.

Last edited:
That's a good point. I should repeat the test with a stop watch...

I was just curious which people were trusting more. I need to get out to 600 and see which matches the best and I can go from there.

600 isn't far enough to refine or confirm MV and/or a BC value by measuring bullet drops, IMO.
And I'm full of them today.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.