Lab Radar calibration

They said that the remote triggers can have an impact based on where they are positioned. According to them, the best resultswhen using a remote trigger occur when the trigger is positioned on the barrel near the end of the muzzle. I didn't want anything on my barrel affecting accuracy so I was mounted on the stock hear the action.

When I go back, I'm going to shoot without the trigger and with the trigger mounted at the end of the barrel to compare data.
It would be very interesting to strap a Magnetospeed on the next time you run the radar.
agreed. Unfortunately, I don't have one.

I have used my Labradar in an indoor lane with the JKL trigger. I've read that you need to set it at a lower power which was fine for a 458 Lott but would not clock a 300 Weatherby. In my indoor range (50m btw) I found it was the side baffles between benches that was the issue. I placed my Labradar more to the centre of the lane and got readings each time.

Also in terms of mounting I velcro my JKL trigger to a sling swivel and just attach that when I shoot. Never fails to trigger.

My readings have not varied between indoor and outdoor.

Without the JKL it was a bit hit or miss to get reading with muzzle brakes guns although I think it's the way the range is set up that creates the problems.

Hope this helps.

I have used my Labradar in an indoor lane with the JKL trigger. I've read that you need to set it at a lower power which was fine for a 458 Lott but would not clock a 300 Weatherby. In my indoor range (50m btw) I found it was the side baffles between benches that was the issue. I placed my Labradar more to the centre of the lane and got readings each time.

Also in terms of mounting I velcro my JKL trigger to a sling swivel and just attach that when I shoot. Never fails to trigger.

My readings have not varied between indoor and outdoor.

Without the JKL it was a bit hit or miss to get reading with muzzle brakes guns although I think it's the way the range is set up that creates the problems.

Hope this helps.
I'm getting readings, they're just slow. One gun/load I wouldn't be focused on the radar. 3 guns w 5 loads and all 50-75 FPS slower than expected….kinda hard to not think something is going on.

I don't buy that it's the fault of the trigger. Mechanically, either the trigger will "trigger" or it won't. I don't see how it could "sort of" trigger in a way that would affect the velocity reading. Maybe I'm wrong; following to see what you learn.

Last edited:
I routinely check my LabRadar against my Magnetospeed. I do this when shooting foulers, then remove the Magnetospeed and shoot the loads I am testing using just the LabRadar. The co-measurements usually agree to within the stated accuracy of the units, which is about 0.1% under good conditions, e.g. 3 fps for a 3000 fps load.

Last edited: