Lab Radar calibration

lhp63190

Guys — shot 3 guns and a total of 5 different loads at the indoor 100 yard range tonight. Across all guns/load combos, my lab radar gave me results 50-75 FPS slower than expected.

One gun was new load development, but the other two guns (3 loads) have been verified and reverified numerous times on the radar and at distance. On the two guns with historical data, SD, ES, and group size were in line previous data.

As an example, my 28 nosler shoots the 180 Berger at 3060 w 77.5 grains of H1000. This is a gunwerks gun and I have verified it myself to 1000 yards and previously on the lab radar on numerous occasions. Tonight I was sub 3000 (see pic ). I also have a verified load w the 169 hammer from this gun @3126 amd tonight I got 3065.

Again, saw the same thing across 3 guns. Is there a way to calibrate the radar? Obviously I'll go verify at long range ASAP but I'm curious what's going on here. Any ideas?

CFB83A04-81C3-4696-9596-5639A751D843.jpeg

Check the fps readings at the 10 yard increments, maybe you weren't picking them up until 50 yards or something.

I shot at a 50 yard indoor range and couldn't get any readings so it might have something to do with the distance.

Last edited:
Guys — shot 3 guns and a total of 5 different loads at the indoor 100 yard range tonight. Across all guns/load combos, my lab radar gave me results 50-75 FPS slower than expected.

One gun was new load development, but the other two guns (3 loads) have been verified and reverified numerous times on the radar and at distance. On the two guns with historical data, SD, ES, and group size were in line previous data.

As an example, my 28 nosler shoots the 180 Berger at 3060 w 77.5 grains of H1000. This is a gunwerks gun and I have verified it myself to 1000 yards and previously on the lab radar on numerous occasions. Tonight I was sub 3000 (see pic ). I also have a verified load w the 169 hammer from this gun @3126 amd tonight I got 3065.

Again, saw the same thing across 3 guns. Is there a way to calibrate the radar? Obviously I'll go verify at long range ASAP but I'm curious what's going on here. Any ideas?

View attachment 310553
Have you contacted LabRadar directly with your specific issue? It is just my WAG, but environmental differences, i.e., the temperature, might be affecting your latest indoor range velocity readings vs. previous confirmed outdoor range velocity readings.

A quick read on outside temperature vs. velocity >>> https://www.americanhunter.org/arti...ature,be expected to increase theMV by 34 fps.

Good luck!

Have you contacted LabRadar directly with your specific issue? It is just my WAG, but environmental differences, i.e., the temperature, might be affecting your latest indoor range velocity readings vs. previous confirmed outdoor range velocity readings.

A quick read on outside temperature vs. velocity >>> https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2011/11/29/can-outside-temperature-affect-cartridge-velocity/#:~:text=Especially does temperature affect pressure....The matter of temperature,be expected to increase theMV by 34 fps.

Good luck!
Def planning to call lab radar today. I've shot w/ the radar at this indoor range before and see slightly lower velocities (15-20 FPS), but nothing like I saw last night.

Talked to lab radar today. As we walked through my process, they seem to think that the slow velocity may have been caused by using a remote 3rd party trigger. This was not the microphone that they sell. They asked me to go back to the same indoor range and shoot again without the trigger to see if that helps. Earliest I can get out is next week but I'll update the this thread as soon as I have some additional data.

View attachment 310553
I am betting being in an indoor range could be causing issues with the readings you are getting. I think I recall reading something in my owners manual about having plenty of distance when you are shooting to prevent errors.

Talked to lab radar today. As we walked through my process, they seem to think that the slow velocity may have been caused by using a remote 3rd party trigger. This was not the microphone that they sell. They asked me to go back to the same indoor range and shoot again without the trigger to see if that helps. Earliest I can get out is next week but I'll update the this thread as soon as I have some additional data.
Which trigger? JKL, Piet Recoil, or other?

Was the radar lined up well with the line of fire? Shooting across the radars path with drop the velocities.
I have never used mine on an indoor range, but I would think there is enough interference downrange to cause issues as well.

They said that the remote triggers can have an impact based on where they are positioned. According to them, the best results when using a remote trigger occur when the trigger is positioned on the barrel near the end of the muzzle. I didn't want anything on my barrel affecting accuracy so I was mounted on the stock hear the action.

When I go back, I'm going to shoot without the trigger and with the trigger mounted at the end of the barrel to compare data.

They said that the remote triggers can have an impact based on where they are positioned. According to them, the best results when using a remote trigger occur when the trigger is positioned on the barrel near the end of the muzzle. I didn't want anything on my barrel affecting accuracy so I was mounted on the stock hear the action.

When I go back, I'm going to shoot without the trigger and with the trigger mounted at the end of the barrel to compare data.
Interesting! My JKL is also mounted on the stock, .not on the barrel.