KVD Retiring from Tournament Fishing

I can't blame him, I have a buddy that competes against him and seeing how much time they spend on the road away from family. There was is no way I could do it.
Its time. He's been doing this for over 4 decades. The new young guns are leading the pack and he's falling back more and more. His record is the best in the industry and may never get broken. Retire while your on top is my feeling. He's gonna keep fishing professionally and it's my opinion Strike King will get him his own show and keep him busy. I think him and his wife decided collectively it's time to start enjoying life together. His kids are in college and out of the nest. Next chapter is ready to be written.

Its time. He's been doing this for over 4 decades. The new young guns are leading the pack and he's falling back more and more. His record is the best in the industry and may never get broken. Retire while your on top is my feeling. He's gonna keep fishing professionally and it's my opinion Strike King will get him his own show and keep him busy. I think him and his wife decided collectively it's time to start enjoying life together. His kids are in college and out of the nest. Next chapter is ready to be written.
He may retire and get bored and go back to fishing pro or wife doesn't want him under her feet and sends him off to do some more localized tournaments. My buddy just swapped leagues now he can be home a bit more. KVD is high energy so we will see how well he does being retired I bet it won't last long, maybe he won't be a pro fisherman but he will be involved in the industry some how

He wont starve for sure.
Roland Martin is about 83 and keeps busy while charging $1000 per trip at Headwaters lake near Fellsmere.
But he does supply the shiners. lol
Lol shiner fishing just doesn't do it for me. I want to fish headwaters but I will be waiting until we get some rain so it isn't so dusty to get there

Lol shiner fishing just doesn't do it for me. I want to fish headwaters but I will be waiting until we get some rain so it isn't so dusty to get there
Well we do need rain here for sure, the water is getting very low in many of the lakes.
The road is the road, and it dosent take long after a rain for the dust to return.
I was back in there last week, and yes it was dusty, but pretty smooth also as they do keep a grader busy on it.
Ive never fished on Headwaters, not that i wouldnt like to, but im afraid id get run run over by all the (pros) in the big rigs. lol
You can drive across the dam at Stickmarsh on Thursdays and Sundays and go back into the much less populated areas.
More dusty dirt roads.
But you need to be out of there by 4 pm because they close the gate.
There are a few places you can launch boats, especially smaller ones like i have.
You can also launch at 3 Forks west of Palm Bay and work your way down to that area, but not always due to the vegetation.

Well we do need rain here for sure, the water is getting very low in many of the lakes.
The road is the road, and it dosent take long after a rain for the dust to return.
I was back in there last week, and yes it was dusty, but pretty smooth also as they do keep a grader busy on it.
Ive never fished on Headwaters, not that i wouldnt like to, but im afraid id get run run over by all the (pros) in the big rigs. lol
You can drive across the dam at Stickmarsh on Thursdays and Sundays and go back into the much less populated areas.
More dusty dirt roads.
But you need to be out of there by 4 pm because they close the gate.
There are a few places you can launch boats, especially smaller ones like i have.
You can also launch at 3 Forks west of Palm Bay and work your way down to that area, but not always due to the vegetation.
Thank you for the tips. I have a buddy did a commercial at headwaters not long ago and his dad wants to make the run over there but we haven't planned it yet. I typically fish Kissimmee, Hatch, and cypress. I'm in Lakeland so I also fish the phosphate pits sometimes, they are great for catching. Once you find the bait that works on each lake you are set

Thank you for the tips. I have a buddy did a commercial at headwaters not long ago and his dad wants to make the run over there but we haven't planned it yet. I typically fish Kissimmee, Hatch, and cypress. I'm in Lakeland so I also fish the phosphate pits sometimes, they are great for catching. Once you find the bait that works on each lake you are set
Well im not a Bass fisherman, im simply a Speck fisherman, i only use jigs and fish from a 14' jon boat.
But i still catch a fair amount of Bass on the jigs.
Its about 55 miles for me to run out rt 60 to Kissimmee, about the same to Okeechobee.
If i were you id be going to Kennansville before Headwaters.
But again an even longer dirt road, 12 miles back from 441.
You can get minnows at the farm store before going back the road.

Recent Posts