Kuiu Rifle Sling Hook

brcfo_outdoors

Kuiu just dropped a new rifle sling hook for their carbon fiber frame packs which I thought looked interesting. Mounts onto the frame stay then tucks back into the pocket on the bag itself. Sort of a different take then what I have seen companies typically doing so I just order one to see. I have their quick draw gun holder which works but I wouldn't really consider it anything special. I know everyone has their favorite pack and carry set up (I can already hear you Kifaru gun bearer crowd), but for the Kuiu shills like me this seems like a simple little upgrade. Curious what you all think.

https://www.kuiu.com/products/kuiu-rifle-sling-hook-black?variant=41779753222302

ET00tI6bwDt41vbzxOgKYop_oYevPz43Ru0ydCCVnCkViJVCfTgwaAOVF_irjq6ndOyabHuRhgISNIqQMY0o5T4KALBYhz43L2rLV9Zt-4l2lraxJA8pBehFUapibXbxd_9UoMQ_xA=w1000

Kuiu just dropped a new rifle sling hook for their carbon fiber frame packs which I thought looked interesting. Mounts onto the frame stay then tucks back into the pocket on the bag itself. Sort of a different take then what I have seen companies typically doing so I just order one to see. I have their quick draw gun holder which works but I wouldn't really consider it anything special. I know everyone has their favorite pack and carry set up (I can already hear you Kifaru gun bearer crowd), but for the Kuiu shills like me this seems like a simple little upgrade. Curious what you all think.

https://www.kuiu.com/products/kuiu-rifle-sling-hook-black?variant=41779753222302

ET00tI6bwDt41vbzxOgKYop_oYevPz43Ru0ydCCVnCkViJVCfTgwaAOVF_irjq6ndOyabHuRhgISNIqQMY0o5T4KALBYhz43L2rLV9Zt-4l2lraxJA8pBehFUapibXbxd_9UoMQ_xA=w1000
It could work. I. Sure they test these things, but if you get one, carefully unwrap, definitely fuss with it beforehand and let us know. I have mobility challenges and keeping my rifle slung and not a permanent fixture to my pack has taken lots of thought and experimenting.

Have you seen these?

looks to work pretty decent.

Have you seen these?

That looks slick. I am in above knee amputee who also likes to hunt elk a couple miles Off the beaten path. I use Side Stix So I would have to look at a behind the shoulder application...
I have had the best luck with the mystery ranch sling.

Have you seen these?

If you listen to how he talks, and look at the design, that is definitely for shooting matches. Going short distances and pulling the rifle off to shoot at whatever made up obstacle they have built. Personally I don't want guns strapped in front of me for busting brush or climbing up mountains. The buttstock looks like it is going to hit your thigh every time you step, especially if you are climbing. Those would be my concerns at least in my environment and where I hunt, I would imagine people's mileage would vary greatly depending on what they are hunting and where they are hunting it.

It could work. I. Sure they test these things, but if you get one, carefully unwrap, definitely fuss with it beforehand and let us know. I have mobility challenges and keeping my rifle slung and not a permanent fixture to my pack has taken lots of thought and experimenting.
I installed it, and have been playing around with it a little, but haven't had a chance to really field it yet due to a badly sprained ankle. The install was easy, and I think it achieves what it set out to do which is just transfer the weight from your shoulder to your pack and hips. I haven't had much trouble unslinging the rifle while hooked even with the limited range of motion from wearing a pack and having my shoulder repaired. It feels more stable than just slinging the rifle on your shoulder, I find when I do that I am constantly trying to reposition it, so this hook at least seems to solve that concern. If I am really hiking in a few miles to camp, I think I would want to still strap the rifle to my pack for the out of the way for security. I typically use hiking poles so my hands are full and its just one less thing to worry about. At least at this point I see this more as an intermediate niche as opposed to and end all be all carry solution. Again, that is just for my application.

If you try it let us know. I went with Kuiu's carrier/holder for hiking in, and it works well for access if needed. I don't use it when hunting for the day simply because slung is easier.

That was quick! It was just this Summer when Kevin Wilkey of Kuiu showed the rifle hook to me as he was Beta testing it. Didn't think it would be out so quick. I've used the OBi hooks both during HRL Hunter comps and hunting. They are great when you need to place your rifle out of the way so you can use both hands. Maybe if you wanted to quickly glass, need both hands, etc. I would not carry a rifle there long term. I have a recepticle on both my left and right shoulder straps for my Kuiu pack.

Sorry for not giving any updates, turns out my ankle sprain was worse than I thought and I haven't been able to hike or hunt since the end of September. Then I was traveling and got COVID, so this part of the year has basically been a total loss hunting wise.