Kuiu Outter Jacket: which model?

If you're interested, I have a Kuiu DCS Guide jacket in the Valo camo that Id sell for a reasonable price. Its been worn literally once and appears as new. (XL I think, Ill check when I get home if interested).

Are you truly backpacking?

If so my choice would be super down pro over your other layers. I did a week long trip in the high sierras lows in the teens and howling wind. Wore a long sleeve merino, peloton 97 hoodie, and super down pro on top. Merino base layer, pants, and had the super down ultra bottoms. Down will keep you warmer for a much lighter and compressible package.

If you're getting horse packed in or someone is packing out the kill then it probably doesn't matter as much to be ultra light, go with the guide

I have both the guide and the axis jacket, can't go wrong with either. Both block wind really well. The axis is better in terms of blocking out water and the fit is better for my build, 6'3 210. Really can't go wrong with either, both are about the same as far as warmth
Killin: what size are you wearing on that large body?

I have the axis pants and a guide jacket in a solid I wear for a nice every day jacket. I know you ordered already I would like to hear your feedback on the axis jacket? The axis pants seem like they are warmer then what my guide jacket is.

Thats what I thought on axis too,as far as pants.I run guide,vest ,puffy,mid layer

For cold or extreme cold, I wear their Yukon jacket with a puffy jacket underneath and a fleece jacket under that. Has worked well for me...

May be a little late for your purchase, but I would go with the Guide, but I will say I have never tried the Axis. Blocks the wind pretty good. With good base layers it does well, at least with temps into the teens. A fair amount of my hunting is spent "watching" with low exertion levels.

I do wish I had a removeable hood. Normally do not use it unless a stiff wind. Plus I tend to hunt when blaze orange is required and the hood kind of defeats that.

I personally do not recommend it for eastern whitetail if noise is of concern. Much quieter options than the Guide.

I've had the DCS for several years, I'm not as athletically built as I used yo be and it's pretty tight around the middle, I'm 6-4 and 235 and bought an XL. I replaced last year with the Axis Hybrid in 2XL which fits me much better. I'm going to sell the DCS XL as the Axis is basically the same jacket with better water shedding if you get caught unexpectedly.