Kuiu island bear hunting

Grew up on west Kuiu Island, in Rowan Bay. Hunted spring and fall bear in Tebenkof, Bay of Pillars, and Rowan Bay. If I were hunting west side again, I'd concentrate in the headwaters of Bay of Pillars or the river/mud flats of Rowan.

Do thorough map recce...Bay of Pillars has a hidden bay way in the back through swift narrows. Be carful tide change though narrows. Many folks don't know about the back bay...great beaches/bear grass. Excellent small fishing river/lake at head.

Rowan is much bigger with great opportunities to spot/stalk...two rivers at head; massive tide flats which bears love...again, be careful of tide...spent many times as a kid stuck of flats waiting for tide change.

There is also a significant logging road network on the north side of Rowan...I've countless bear on road in the 7 yrs I lived there.

You receive plenty of equipment tips...I'd offer a safety tip: Sumner and Chatham Straights can get messy very rapidly especially with a SSW wind...I've seen blow up in matter of hours. Check your forecast before heading across Sumner and return. Bring enough camping/survival gear in the event you get stuck on Kuiu....happens all the time. Have a bail out/emergency plan...there are several Forrest Service cabin on both POW/Kuiu. If your doing a self guided hunt, make sure your transporter has solid equipment and communication...bring a SAT phone or transponder. Make sure you know how to contact Coast Guard. Let someone know your plan each day. This sounds a little grim; experienced Alaskans are lost every year.

Good luck...Kuiu can be the land of giants...7.5'-8' sq roam there.

Yes I'm staying with Calder mountain lodge at point baker. Thanks for all the help. The amount of knowledge on this site is a great resource. We are gonna have 3 people per boat so someone will stay with the boat. I've been warned about the tides. It's crazy for someone from Michigan to see the huge tide shifts.

Ya the guy I went with just about swamped us on a ferry type wave lost control of tiller.I asked about life jackets and he said dont need because the water so cold you be dead real soon.I thought I might have a 100 yrds in me to make it to shore from where he hit wave,didnt like his plan,plus the whales around would like more than a 14 ' boat.Saw 2 guys with small fiberglass,electic trolling and bear,they had about 3'' left of boat sticking out.

Yes I'm staying with Calder mountain lodge at point baker. Thanks for all the help. The amount of knowledge on this site is a great resource. We are gonna have 3 people per boat so someone will stay with the boat. I've been warned about the tides. It's crazy for someone from Michigan to see the huge tide shifts.

That's where we stayed too. Bill will set limits on how far up and down the island you can go. That's in case he has to come and get you. There's lots of underwater obstacles. Be very careful. Be prepared to be checked by the Alaska state troopers. They missed us but got everybody else in our group.
There's a big SOB still on that island.
Spent 3 days in the same bay trying to get him. Only saw him once from a distance on the boat. Thought it was a tree stump. Till it moved!!
Good luck!
The Millers are good people. They are from my town here in Idaho.
Be safe

....There's a big SOB still on that island......Spent 3 days in the same bay trying to get him. Only saw him once from a distance on the boat. Thought it was a tree stump. Till it moved!!..Good luck!

I hoped you'd weigh in!

Big, old bears have an almost mystical ability to disappear.

That's cool to hear from someone who has been there. It sounds like they have nice boats. We booked early and reserved the 2 bigger boats they have. Was it too bad crossing over to Kuiu from camp. That's my biggest concern. And I'll find that big sob and put an accubond in him.

That's cool to hear from someone who has been there. It sounds like they have nice boats. We booked early and reserved the 2 bigger boats they have. Was it too bad crossing over to Kuiu from camp. That's my biggest concern. And I'll find that big sob and put an accubond in him.

It can get bad with the wind that kicks up. Bill needs bigger motors on those big boats. Makes for slow going in the rough stuff.

Pay attention to the weather reports.
I would head to the southern part of the limits bill puts on your hunt.
Bigger bays and flats. The backs of some of the bays have flats. Grassy where the bears like. We got 3 bears in 3 days. One guy I helped had 6 stalks in a day! Finally sealed the deal on #7!

65EB3254-E30C-4386-B9E2-946646373054.jpeg
F0EF4D58-E700-4485-8DE4-C81BEDA3545C.jpeg
7110D762-FE73-4B59-A9ED-A79037AD8EF6.jpeg
0086F73C-E808-470F-A7D0-5DF01B9ECB54.jpeg

Looks great. I'm pretty excited. Thanks for the pics. Nice to see what it looks like before you get there. I appreciate the info

5 friends and I drew tags for Kuiu island black bear hunt this year we will be heading there may 17. We will be staying on prince of whales island and boating over to Kuiu. Has anyone on here done this hunt or somewhere near here. Just asking if anyone has a suggestion for hunting tactics or opinions on gear they wish they would have taken. Thanks