KUIU down repellency

Litehiker

Looking at KUIU's website and their down products they show the very significant improvement of their TORAY "QUIXDOWN" down durable water repellant (DWR) over the next best down DWR available.

I'm impressed that KUIU took the time to search out the best down DWR instead of just going with a common product like Dri-Down, etc. TORAY is a well known Japanese outdoor fabric company with much experience in breathable water proof products. I do trust the quality of TORAY products.

So I suggest you take a close look at KUIU's down garments - spendy but "Buy once, cry once" when you pay for quality clothing, guns, etc.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I am also a believer in Kuiu products but their videos of their down is marketing.....I wonder how well it really does. Any first hand experience would be awesome because I am shopping for a new down jacket too

I have down garments with Dri-Down and Down Tech DWRs and both work VERY well.

But the TORAY graphs show their "QUIXDOWN" as being far better than these American DWRs are. And I don't think TORAY is into false marketing. They have been too reputable over the decades to do that.

I have their midweight hooded down jacket. I think its around 13oz ? It was pricey but is my favorite hunting jacket I've ever owned. They run small though and the outer shell is not very durable. I took it on one trip to Wyoming and I have a number of small tears with down pushing out. If your on stand or walking where its relatively open probably not a problem.

I would love a down jacket with wool on the outside. That would be perfect!

I've got a few down pieces from Kuiu. One of the ultralight jackets, one of the heavier pro jackets, and the ultralight pants. They've seen a lot of use backpacking over the last few seasons as well as casual wear.

I can tell you the down waterproofing is truly excellent and prevents the loss of loft when things get moist. If you've ever had an untreated down jacket wet out, you know how much warmth is lost and how long it takes to dry it out!

september 2019 I did a rifle mule deer backpacking trip solo and had pretty nasty weather..cold into the teens at night, extreme winds at times, and some precipitation. I was deep from the trailhead and pretty ultralight in order to be able to bring a deer out of that country in one trip. My Kuiu down was the only insulation and despite getting wet multiple times it never lost its loft or warmth. If you are a backpacker, this is top notch gear that is worth the coin IMO. Otherwise it's a little pricey for hunting from the truck. It's expensive because of the weight savings more than anything else..which is substantial.

thanks for all the input on the kuiu down coat i been looking very hard at there down coats my question is how loud are the pro down?

thanks for all the input on the kuiu down coat i been looking very hard at there down coats my question is how loud are the pro down?
I wouldn't hunt whitetail wearing it unless it was shooting across a field or something. But it's a little quieter than other down jackets out there. The fabric is a little less "swishy" if you will.

I wouldn't hunt whitetail wearing it unless it was shooting across a field or something. But it's a little quieter than other down jackets out there. The fabric is a little less "swishy" if you will.
That was what I was wondering. I will be hunting whitetail and was wanting something warm but not alot of layers

The Kuiu products I have seem a lot quieter than several I've had. I really like the mobility with Kuiu. Like several posts I've read buy a size larger because Kuiu definitely runs smaller than many others. I'll surely add more.

That was what I was wondering. I will be hunting whitetail and was wanting something warm but not alot of layers
Ive used Kuiu stuff whitetail hunting, but more because I think it's really helpful for western hunting. It's truly not the best gear for whitetail...it's too breathable and not the warmest for stationary hunting. But it does the trick. Just not worth the $$ to use it for whitetail when there's cheaper, warmer stuff out there

Ive used Kuiu stuff whitetail hunting, but more because I think it's really helpful for western hunting. It's truly not the best gear for whitetail...it's too breathable and not the warmest for stationary hunting. But it does the trick. Just not worth the $$ to use it for whitetail when there's cheaper, warmer stuff out there
thanks for the input

I bought the lighter weight Kuiu "ultra" down jacket and it's nice and light weight. Thinking about the "pro" which looks more like a jacket made exclusively for sitting in the cold glassing. My layers are long sleeve merino or synthetic, light weight down "ultra" jacket and the Axis outer jacket. Just wondering if those that wear Kuiu gear think this is good for temps in the teens to the 20 degree whether.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.