Krieger barrels

Siso,

If you don't let the entire brush leave the crown, as to let the rod ride on it, it shouldn't damage the crown. If it does,, a re-crown is like $35,, how much was your barrel and chambering compared to that $35??

FatBoy...

I got a new Krieger barrel (.308 Win) awhile ago and love it. I have around 700 rounds threw it and I've noticed that the inside of the barrel is looking less polished, and the carbon is getting more difficult to remove. When it was new, after 20 shots 10 patchs did the job. Now I don't even bother counting all of them. But it is getting to the point were even JB bore paste will take a loooong time to get all of it out. Krieger told me they recommend NOT using a bore brush, because it will round off the crown. I've tried brushing, and 4 strokes will get all the carbon out. I have 2 questions.

1)am I doing something wrong to cause this increase in cleaning?
2)Do you guys use a bore brush for accurate shooting?

Thank you for the replys. FatBoy, Krieger said that they don't recommend brushing because the bristles will round off the crown. Simular to pulling JB over it. I don't mind the $35 for the recrown. I just don't want to loose and inch off ANYTHING I have!
grin.gif

Has anyone used the crown protector made
by Upper Chesapeake Precision that sells for about $35. It looks like it will protect the crown, but I'd like to hear some comments about this product before I buy one.

(www.ucprecision.com)

Thanks,
jack1k

Siso,

I have 467 rounds down the tube of my 6.5x284. The throat has moved a bit over .03" since round #1. If I'm lucky I'll get 1400 rounds before I make this tube into a 22" hunting rifle barrel.

I scrub the crap out of it, with a copper brush, after each match. If I didn't, it would have so much copper it I doubt it would shoot. 308win, you're not likely to have the same kind of copper fouling issues as a hot 6.5x284.

If I could clean my bore by pushing patches though on a push style jag I would, but that's just not an option.

I do not use a Krieger on this rifle,and my caliber is different, so your results will obviously vary but I'd use the brush sparingly and not let it exit the crown. I assume you've read Kriegers cleaning recommnedations http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/break_in_and_cleaning.html . I can't see a copper brush causing wear and damage to the crown, so long as you don't allow the rod to slide on the botton, much like the throat.

If Krieger believes JB's abrasive cleaner is fine for the barrel, a brush should be alright,,, and when you recrown, you only need to remove about .025" worth of material around the muzzle. Just enought to clean it up. Brownells sells kits to do it yourself,, and I've heard of some brave souls (NOT ME!!!) doing it with a stone tip on a dremel. It would depend on how far back in the bore the damage exsists.

FatBoy...

[ 10-10-2002: Message edited by: FatBoy... ]

Is it reasonable to think that something that's "softer" than the crown (I'm assuming a SS barrel) will be able to damage it? I'm thinking about plastic bristle brushes, bronze bristle brushes, coated gun rods, etc. I CAN understand the possibility of damage if you're using a stainless UNCOATED rod. Am I not thinking about this correctly?

Interesting topic, perhaps I can muddy the waters a bit. Wear between two dissimilar metals would normally expected to sacrifice the softer of the two and often does. But not always. As an aviation accident investigator in the Army I had the unwelcome task of convincing "superior" officers that one crash caused by loss of control had in fact been caused by a .015" thick aluminum tab wearing through a 3/16" 19 strand stainless control cable after a nylon bushing had fallen free. Tough sell but an indisputible fact. Sometimes softer metal become embedded with abrasive materials and causes wear. The example above...I know what happend and am clueless as to why.
I use brushes, nylon and bronze. I use patches, and when I feel the need, JB Borecleaner. I don't at this time have rifles that shoot bugholes at 800 yards, but when the day comes I suspect it will have similar responses to fouling as my pathetic 1/2 to 3/4 MOA shooters do today. When it gets bad enough, accuracy goes south. Then I gotta do what I gotta do...regardless of who made the barrel and what kind of air they were blowing out of what hole, measured by what gauge.

There are others with the borescope/tv screen rigs that proclaim bronze bristles do harm stainless barrels and they have seen it. Look at Speedy's writings on the subject

Back to your cleaning thing. My Kreiger 30" barrel was streaking something fierce when new and Butches/JB just was not doing it.
I ran a cotton mop with 10%industrial ammonia through it and the copper was foaming BIGTIME. In 10min I had a clean barrel without any brushing at all. Now it is all I use. At $5.00/gallon I just don't get why others are not using this. One tip though. DO NOT USE THIS STUFF INDOORS.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.