Kreiger, Hart or Lija ??

Roddy

I am going to get a 6.5-284 put together and want opinions on barrels. I like the fact Kreiger cuts the rifling supposed to be less stressful and we can use that
shocked.gif
. Lija has a 3 groove option that has been talked about longer life and easier cleaning and I thought I would throw Hart in the mix because they are so popular.
Thanks

Roddy, I was looking at the same ones you are and after post which type of rifling I decided to go with polygonal from Tac-Ord using a PacNor barrel. The poly is suppose to increase the speed somewhat. Now I'm going with a larger calibers than you( a 30 and a 338). That's just another option. Dave King has one and it shoots from what he and others say.

Mike Rock also makes cut-rifled barrels that are superb shooters, they are available from George Gardner at GA-Precision. I have one now that is great, partner shoots one also and it is amazing. Another good cut-rifled barrel that I have personally shot a lot is from H-S Precision.
Dan Lilja makes incredible button-rifled barrels as are Harts. Dan is a very nice person to deal with.
Good luck with your selection.

I use Border Barrel ( cut rifled ) and PAC NOR barrel ( button rifled ) both can delivery long barrel ( over 30 inch ) in custom pitch /cailber/number of grooves /diam up to 2 inches
and make very good barrels for long range PAC NOR make amazing good 3 grooves barrel

Mike ROCK is a kind guy but very strange and I have never get news from him since now ,following our meet at the Shot SHOW several years ago .His barrel look as a clone of the Obermayer barrel 5 grooves .

HS are good varmint barrels but not amazing and I am not sure the goal of HS is long range barrel with lenght over 30 inch , I have shoot some but never find a real tack driver barrel from HS .

G SCHNEIDER from SCOTTDALE ( AZ ) make very good barrel too ( button rifled ) .

Good Shooting

DAN TEC

Any custom barrel has the potential to shoot very well. I tend to lean towards the cut rifling process due to the lower stress factor as they take many shallow cuts. Cut rifling usually has a more true rate of twist. Krieger barrels are excellent and mine all shoot under 1/2 moa with little tweaking. I've read lots of good things about Mike Rock barrels and plan on using his next. He uses the same method as Krieger but is a much smaller operation, hence the potential for higher quality. He goes one step further than most, hand lapping his barrels before and after rifling.
Good shooting

Might want to look at Clay Spencers barrels here in Va. Just put one on a heavy gun in 300 WSM and is the fastest cleaning up barrel I have ever seen. Quite a few guys are using his barrels now and love them and say they shoot and clean up quicker than any other barrel. Also shoots very accurately. The Army SOF guys tested his barrels and found they got the best accuracy compared with all the others. They have got 18' barrels for SR25s doing 1/2 MOA in combat configs. They just dropped a lot of $ to him to expand his shop and equipment to build barrels for the Special Ops guys. Heard Krieger and K&P have had a batch of not so good barrels lately and 1000 yd guys have had to change them out.

Roddy, if you looked on his web-sight, you probably saw nothing on his barrels. You`ll need to call and talk to him to get your information other than what others can tell you. From my understanding his barrels are top notch.

I just got my 6.5/284 I have a hart 28.5" barrel on it.. Very nice barrel I have Kriegers and K&P on others... They all shoot great and I can't say if one actually shoots better than the other. They all clean in just a few stokes. My feeelings are that any custom barrel will shoot good if kept well...

Looked up Clay Spencer and he recommends Hart Lija or Shilen barrels no info on his own barrels.

My brother and I have had 15 or more Hart barrels made up over the past years and everyone would group 5 shots in .250 to .275" groups. In calibers from 223 to 30cal, the .223rem
I got last year 28" 1/7twist that shot .200"at 100 and .600" at 300y, biggest I have made is 7mmwsm again just stunning results.
but I am sure most the others will do likewise

pay the extra for Premuim Stainless match grade, it only a few dollars more

Recently, I read a thread in this site, where one of the more well known and respected LR smiths said it was much more important as to who and how well the barrel was fitted to the receiver/action than the barrel itself. I was taliking to a guy locally the other day who got a 1.5" group out of a factory 300 RUM Sendero with factory ammo @ 350 yds. There are many, many variables in the accuracy equation. The better barrels tend to clean easier and shoot well, but from what I read, top line barrels are good, so pick one and pick a good smith to put it together and dont look back... much of the rest is up to you.

Last edited:
Hard to believe no one mentioned Bartlein - maybe the best of the cut rifled barrels. I just received my second Bartlein yesterday, and wish I could order a few more. I have tried them all (except Lilja) and I believe they are on top of the pile.

Clay Spencer retired due to medical reasons; do not know whether the new owner will produce barrels. But - definitely good gunsmithing is the key to fine accuracy. Start with a good barrel, have the best one you can find fit it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.