Kowa spotter case??

emmagator

What do you guys prefer for packing your scope into the field? Do you just use a regular case, then remove scope for use? Or are the stay on cases a good choice, where you just leave the case on at all times? The stay on cases seem significantly more expensive. I want a compact fitted case that provides ample protection. Thanks

I leave my scope attached to a compact tripod with the stay on style case. I slide the tripod into the webbing on my pack, and it is easily accessible for glassing. The case keeps the scope decently protected from the elements and tree branches.

If I take a big fall, inside or outside of my pack I figure that the scope is probably toast.

My scope is in a fitted soft padded case that I remove even though its not needed....and my wife's scope is in a hard plastic case made for it....like a molded handgun case is..

I leave my scope attached to a compact tripod with the stay on style case. I slide the tripod into the webbing on my pack, and it is easily accessible for glassing. The case keeps the scope decently protected from the elements and tree branches.

If I take a big fall, inside or outside of my pack I figure that the scope is probably toast.
Yea i cant afford for my scope to get damaged. I was thinking those stay on cases look a little thin and provided only minimal protection.

just wrap an extra sweater, light jacket or other extra clothing around it and put it in your pack.
i use twin kowas in a bracket and thats how i handle those wether in the vehicle or on my back.

How is Kowa warranty? I like the look of there 77mm.I have a old Leo,that I have run for 10+ years in a thin or no case,rig,back,horse.Doesnt have rubber on eye piece but no problem, they would fix ,have good warranty

I used an older Kowa spotter this summer and I really liked it.

As mentioned I would take a good look at warranty. I was ready to buy a spotter this spring and I looked thru them all. Warranty did become an issue as I use my stuff.

If I was only doing bench shooting a Kowa would certainly be my choice.

As for case, carrying in the field I would go with the manufacturer's snug fit.

Kowa doesn't advertise the same level of warranty as Leupold or Zeiss, etc. They only warranty manufacturer defects according to their literature.

Past that, I have no idea how their service is. I have had a TSN-664 for several years and have not had to find out.

If you can live with the warranty, IMHO, you will not find a better price versus optical quality scope. It is light weight, sturdy, and very bright/sharp up to 50X (20-60 eyepiece). At 60X, the 66mm objective is limiting.

If damage is a major concern, get the fitted case, and keep it in your pack as suggested by others. But this goes for any scope.

I have the kowa highlanders and use the pelican case. Little pain being 13 lbs but if it is out there i can spot it.
mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.