Kodiak DIY Bear Hunt Follow Along Thread

Looking forward to your write up! For many, this is as close as we'll ever get to such an awesome adventure!

Thanks!

Cross

he's got great after the winter claws. I've got one good fall one with long claws and the other has claws that look trimmed. He was a squirrel digger. Great hunt, I miss Alaska every day

Sorry about the delay guys but here it is, the long awaited details of the bear hunt.
So to begin we flew in with Andrews Air and our pilot was Willie, super dude and an awesome pilot. These guys will put you in and get you out as long as you have the cahonas to ride with them. It was a pretty sporty ride on the way in and I'll be honest with you I very seriously considered vomiting once we landed, but all was well, nothing a cold beverage couldn't settle.
Arrival on day one was around 2:00 in the afternoon and it took a couple hours to scout around and find the perfect spot to put everything and then make camp. We were all settled in by around 4:30 and decided to cook something and make a game plan for the next day. My buddy said he would get out the spotting scope and glass a little from camp just to see what he could see and no more than 5 minutes later I hear " well there's a bear" I said whatever man, but he was serious and what would turn out to be possibly the biggest bear we would see for the whole 10 day was standing about 400yds from us just hanging out on the mountain. Of course you can"t hunt same day air so we just had to set there and look at him.
Day 2 began with a little hike around to the back of the alder patch we were camping in which yielded little then a return to camp for some lunch. Don't eat chilli for lunch before you decide to go climb a bit to see what you can see from that ridge over there. The terrain was terrible but we spotted another bear, he was rubbed and small so we spent the rest of the day glassing from that ridge without much success and hiked back to camp.
Day 3 we hiked around the back of the alder patch again and found a most productive area after a short climb where we could see the gap between the mountains leading over to Frasier lake, we saw several bears in an area we later nicknamed the "Trailer Park" due to the cast of characters we saw there. There was a bear who was rubbed and had one strip of hair down his back, a large boar we named Mohawk Bear", one sow that was rubbed in such a way that it looked like she only had on a pair of low rider hip hugging furry jeans "low rider pants girl" , one bear that only had one circle of hair around her mid section " Tutu Bear" and a few others. We revisited the Trailer Park on several occasions.
Day 4 we decided to take a trip across lake and hike up to "Fern Hill" as we named it which was an excellent glassing spot. We had command of a large piece of ground from there, we could glass back towards the trailer park across the lake or up into the two valleys below us. We saw several bears from this spot on both days 4 and 5.

That will get you guys started and I'll get back with yall with the rest of the details in a few days

That's good writing and a good start to the story. The trailer park bears are great!

Thanks!

Tag bear.jpg
bear.jpg
We are dudes, we need pictures !
In the mean time, my GF feeding Tag an Oreo

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.