Kodiak DIY Bear Hunt Follow Along Thread

Good luck with the weather. It's pretty nasty in the ANC area and South Central AK right now. Kodiak looks like it will be clearing up Monday sometime. So you should be able to get out. Then the weather looks good for most of the week, which is a rarity...........

After a solid year and a half of planning it has finally arrived. A childhood friend of mine drew the Red Lake/Olga Bay bear tag on Kodiak for this spring and since he is a resident, stationed there with the Coast Guard, we are going to have the opportunity to do this on our own with no guide. When he told me that he had drawn this tag I knew instantly that I had to go with him. The opportunity to be a part of a hunt like this is a once in a lifetime event for most of us and I was not about to pass it up. We are scheduled to fly out of Raleigh on Saturday and get into the bush on Monday. There will obviously be a several day break in the reports while we are in the bush but I will do my best to keep this thread updated with new pics and reports as we go along.
Right now we are still in N.C., I made the 13 hour drive out here from KY to meet up and we will fly from here to Kodiak. We are currently in the sorting and cataloguing gear, double checking weapons and ammo, map recon, BBQing ribs and having frosty refreshments phase of the operation. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics later tonight of our pre hunt operations.
Good luck and stay safe. A kodiak bear hunt is number 2 on my bucket list, only hunt it's behind is a Bighorn Sheep hunt. Looking forward to updates.

After a solid year and a half of planning it has finally arrived. A childhood friend of mine drew the Red Lake/Olga Bay bear tag on Kodiak for this spring and since he is a resident, stationed there with the Coast Guard, we are going to have the opportunity to do this on our own with no guide. When he told me that he had drawn this tag I knew instantly that I had to go with him. The opportunity to be a part of a hunt like this is a once in a lifetime event for most of us and I was not about to pass it up. We are scheduled to fly out of Raleigh on Saturday and get into the bush on Monday. There will obviously be a several day break in the reports while we are in the bush but I will do my best to keep this thread updated with new pics and reports as we go along.
Right now we are still in N.C., I made the 13 hour drive out here from KY to meet up and we will fly from here to Kodiak. We are currently in the sorting and cataloguing gear, double checking weapons and ammo, map recon, BBQing ribs and having frosty refreshments phase of the operation. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics later tonight of our pre hunt operations.
What caliber of rifle are you taking ? Whatever your choice is, I wish you luck .

Please keep us posted. This is about as close as I will get to a hunt like this.

I have a 458 Lott and you do know when it goes off! I had planned to take that trip also but haven't made it yet and getting to old now. Good Luck and be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.