Kodiak DIY Bear Hunt Follow Along Thread

Tagging In! Your adventure will start on the "Beltline" and RDU ranks a pretty close second-place in comparison. :DGood luck from a fellow Kentuckian!!

After a solid year and a half of planning it has finally arrived. A childhood friend of mine drew the Red Lake/Olga Bay bear tag on Kodiak for this spring and since he is a resident, stationed there with the Coast Guard, we are going to have the opportunity to do this on our own with no guide. When he told me that he had drawn this tag I knew instantly that I had to go with him. The opportunity to be a part of a hunt like this is a once in a lifetime event for most of us and I was not about to pass it up. We are scheduled to fly out of Raleigh on Saturday and get into the bush on Monday. There will obviously be a several day break in the reports while we are in the bush but I will do my best to keep this thread updated with new pics and reports as we go along.
Right now we are still in N.C., I made the 13 hour drive out here from KY to meet up and we will fly from here to Kodiak. We are currently in the sorting and cataloguing gear, double checking weapons and ammo, map recon, BBQing ribs and having frosty refreshments phase of the operation. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics later tonight of our pre hunt operations.
After a solid year and a half of planning it has finally arrived. A childhood friend of mine drew the Red Lake/Olga Bay bear tag on Kodiak for this spring and since he is a resident, stationed there with the Coast Guard, we are going to have the opportunity to do this on our own with no guide. When he told me that he had drawn this tag I knew instantly that I had to go with him. The opportunity to be a part of a hunt like this is a once in a lifetime event for most of us and I was not about to pass it up. We are scheduled to fly out of Raleigh on Saturday and get into the bush on Monday. There will obviously be a several day break in the reports while we are in the bush but I will do my best to keep this thread updated with new pics and reports as we go along.
Right now we are still in N.C., I made the 13 hour drive out here from KY to meet up and we will fly from here to Kodiak. We are currently in the sorting and cataloguing gear, double checking weapons and ammo, map recon, BBQing ribs and having frosty refreshments phase of the operation. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics later tonight of our pre hunt operations.
It is gonna be very cool and wet this time of year. Been there, done that, the prepared.

Good luck and may your hunt be long and successful.
If I am not mistaken I believe that I am the long lost son, am I invited?
Be awaiting your posts.

My buddy is shooting a 300 win with 220 partitions and I'm packing my cz 550 in 458 Lott with 500gr soft points in case things get squirley. I've put a bit over 100 rounds through it in the last month practicing. We'll also have a 44 mag with buffalo bore 340 +p+ for general camp stuff

Those 220 gr partitions ought to put a thumping on ol mr Grizz for sure . Aim small miss small. I've always wanted to go to Kodiak and grizzly hunt to but I'd prefer stick and string. I'd either get one or wind up in a pile of bear -:;t .

My wife has always said after I'm dead someone will be like and how'd your husband die ? And her response has always been "stupidity " is what she says she will say! Lol

Let me know if y'all can see this pic.
Not too bad for free hand rapid fire at about 20yds. Pulled one but I believe any of them would have got it done in a pinch. Hopefully we won't have to find out, but best to be prepared I suppose!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.