Kodiak brown bear rifle

Guess rifle guys don't understand the abilities of handguns in capable hands. I got total penetration with Accubonds on AK moose, Shiras moose, 2 800# kudus (one at 365). Xs are very good, too. Used them on this brown bear & a 12' croc (.325 XP). Never recovered a Accubond from any animal. All total penetration.

While I have tremendous respect for you and your accomplishments as a handgunner…. many bullets pushed to rifle velocities act much differently than when used at handgun velocities! memtb

Don't really need a rifle for the brownies. Killed one years ago with a .375 JDJ Contender charging at 30 yards. Killed this one a few years ago with a Taurus Raging Bull in .500 S&W and a 375 gr. X at 129 yds.- one shot.
If you really have to use a rifle (yecth!) a Nosler Accubond is the way to go. I've used them on black bears, kudus, moose (AK & UT) in my handguns. A superior bullet.
WV Hitman is probably the most accomplished handgun hunter who posts on various forums. He is a deadly (pun intended) serious handgun hunter.

I've had one grizzly tag go un filled. My partner got a BC bear on that one,I've had them in camp, met them on the trail, and I've seen a few good black bears taken.

You've been here long enough and often enough, so you know the pro's and cons, as well as I do.

The .375 Ruger should be a great choice, pick a good bullet and go.

If somebody told me be here in the next couple of days, I've got 2 choices in the safe, a ,338 RUM with the 275 Swift A-frame, or my .375 H&H with a 300 Swift A-frame. I'm kind of short on 30 magnums right now, but a 220 Nosler partition would be where I start thinking minimum.

Frankly always tickled to hear someone is going, take pictures for us arm chair quarterbacks.
The people that hunted after I did had a 375 Ruger I believe is the Caliber the guy was afraid of the kick and it took seven shots to bring the bear down from the guides and him I guess that gun really kicks from what I understand so he made a bad shot . I wasn't there. I just talked to them after the hunt they told me the story

The people that hunted after I did had a 375 Ruger I believe is the Caliber the guy was afraid of the kick and it took seven shots to bring the bear down from the guides and him I guess that gun really kicks from what I understand so he made a bad shot . I wasn't there. I just talked to them after the hunt they told me the story

Very likely the rifle's kick making him a a ****-poor shot or a bad choice of bullets…..possibly both! memtb

Effective muzzle brakes make a HUGE difference in shootability of magnum-class rifles.

My Win M70 featherweight (without muzzle brake) .280 RCBS Improved, kicks notably harsher than my 338 Lapua Improved equipped with a 5-port brake.

I have a brake on my 22 Creedmoor, and it's a pea shooter.

I like the idea of a suppressor. Some (less) recoil reduction and huge reduction in muzzle blast. Just haven't gone there yet, due to their added length and weight. I'm backpack hunting 95% of the time, and can't quite commit to the added length and weight of a suppressor.

As far as rifle selection for Kodiak brown bear, the bigger the better. No fun following up after bears in the brush after they've been shot. Hit'em with enough firepower to drop'em and stop'em.

If a big one's coming after you, no rifle will feel like too much firepower at that moment in time.

Last edited:
Effective muzzle brakes make a HUGE difference in shootability of magnum-class rifles.

My Win M70 featherweight (without muzzle brake) .280 RCBS Improved, kicks notably harsher than my 338 Lapua Improved equipped with a 5-port brake.

I have a brake on my 22 Creedmoor, and it's a pea shooter.

I like the idea of a suppressor. Some (less) recoil reduction and huge reduction in muzzle blast. Just haven't gone there yet, due to their added length and weight. I'm backpack hunting 95% of the time, and can't quite commit to the added length and weigh of a suppressor.

As far as rifle selection for Kodiak brown bear, the bigger the better. No fun following up after bears in the brush after they've been shot. Hit'em with enough firepower to drop'em and stop'em.

If a big one's coming after you, no rifle will feel like too much firepower at that moment in time.
Agreed. Ive got a .280 in the featherweight as well. She bites for sure. Has the original red pad which wasnt much at the start and has only gotten harder. Brakes or cans are great.

I load the heck out of my ruger and people always comment how it isnt nearly what they thought it would be like. Just a big concussion and push. Full disclosure, ive never tried it without the brake 😉

Unless it's 8# or less (scoped, loaded, slung) it should be pretty mild…..assuming that the rifle fits properly! Brake is not needed, unless the shooter has eye problems (detached cornea) or a shoulder injury!

Also, the hard rubber butt pads are a "no-no"! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
Unless it's 8# or less (scoped, loaded, slung) it should be pretty mild…..assuming that the rifle fits properly! Brake is not needed, unless the shooter has eye problems (detached cornea) or a shoulder injury!

Also, the hard rubber butt pads are a "no-no"! 😉 memtb
Depends on the shooter. Each one is different. I've seen a fair bit of shooters and it's a personal thing for them. Me too!
Brakes can be very effective at recoil mitigation. Hard on the ears. If it helps the shot/shooter make the kill I'm not going to say anything.
Simple thought process for me
If it helps you use it. If you can be just as effective without out and you choose not to use it that's great.
I personally won't be pushing one way over another

It is kinda funny, but predictable, that this thread has gone so long, so many pages, while so few of us actually hunt grizzly, particularly Kodiak...

But bears, especially big bears, attract our attention. :)

My interior grizzly, Brooks Range, not a Kodiak. He squares a bit over 8' and the skull missed B&C by about an inch. Wonderful hunt in 2017. Taken with my 30-06, all shots at 50 yards and closing. :)

Once he was down the second time, I started to reload my now-empty Remington. The guide handed me his 338 Win Mag and I finished him with that. Hunting the great bears is an incredible experience. I doubt I'll ever be able to do so again, but it was well worth the expense and effort. What a hunt!

Regards, Guy

Attachments

• Brooks Range Grizz 2017.jpg
    Brooks Range Grizz 2017.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • Alaska Fording Stream.jpg
    Alaska Fording Stream.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 67
It is kinda funny, but predictable, that this thread has gone so long, so many pages, while so few of us actually hunt grizzly, particularly Kodiak...

But bears, especially big bears, attract our attention. :)

My interior grizzly, Brooks Range, not a Kodiak. He squares a bit over 8' and the skull missed B&C by about an inch. Wonderful hunt in 2017. Taken with my 30-06, all shots at 50 yards and closing. :)

Once he was down the second time, I started to reload my now-empty Remington. The guide handed me his 338 Win Mag and I finished him with that. Hunting the great bears is an incredible experience. I doubt I'll ever be able to do so again, but it was well worth the expense and effort. What a hunt!

Regards, Guy
I'm pretty sure you hunted with us in the Brooks for that bear
8 foot bear in the Brooks is a great bear!

Recent Posts