Kodiak brown bear rifle

In a standard weight rifle the Lott is pretty brutal to shoot from the bench. I am not particularly recoil sensitive and weigh around 210 lbs. The Lott was fired twice from the bench before I added over 1lbs. of lead to it and a 16 oz. recoil reducer. It still has over 60 lbs. of recoil, but much more tolerable than the 88 it had when it weighed 9.5 lbs. It kicked so hard it was comical. I still use the Lott when I want to lure one of my buddies into getting man card by firing it from the bench- most will only do it once lol.

An Ackley 375 is essentially a Wby without the Wby shoulder. Mine is very accurate; 300 gr. A-frames at around 2700 fps; pretty reliable 3/4 MOA rifle with a 1x 6 scope and heavy duplex reticle.
I was thinking the improved would increase brass life that was main reason.

In a standard weight rifle the Lott is pretty brutal to shoot from the bench. I am not particularly recoil sensitive and weigh around 210 lbs. The Lott was fired twice from the bench before I added over 1lbs. of lead to it and a 16 oz. recoil reducer. It still has over 60 lbs. of recoil, but much more tolerable than the 88 it had when it weighed 9.5 lbs. It kicked so hard it was comical. I still use the Lott when I want to lure one of my buddies into getting man card by firing it from the bench- most will only do it once lol.
When i hunted in Africa I checked the zero on my model 70 458 Lott off the bench. The PH said he had never had a hunter do that before. I didn't think much of it at the time.

Don't really need a rifle for the brownies. Killed one years ago with a .375 JDJ Contender charging at 30 yards. Killed this one a few years ago with a Taurus Raging Bull in .500 S&W and a 375 gr. X at 129 yds.- one shot.
If you really have to use a rifle (yecth!) a Nosler Accubond is the way to go. I've used them on black bears, kudus, moose (AK & UT) in my handguns. A superior bullet.

Attachments

• IMG0415.jpg
    IMG0415.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
While not to diminish the effort it takes to harvest a bear with a pistol.... until the guy standing next to you (guide) starts packing a pistol over a beat up winchester in 375 h&h I'll stick with the rifle.

It's fun a few pages back to see bays I'm pretty sure I recognize...

Last edited:
Accubonds are very soft, you're better off with a TSX, TBBC, A-Frame or even a Scirocco II, last thing you want on a big bear in alders is no blood trail and / or insufficient penetration. I've culled a lot of feral horses with various bullets, Accubonds are not known for great penetration. I feel the same way about Norma Oryx and Interbonds. They expand TOO much.

Guess rifle guys don't understand the abilities of handguns in capable hands. I got total penetration with Accubonds on AK moose, Shiras moose, 2 800# kudus (one at 365). Xs are very good, too. Used them on this brown bear & a 12' croc (.325 XP). Never recovered a Accubond from any animal. All total penetration.

I've watched incredibly talented pistol shots absolutely Fall Apart when we towed a life like bear Target towards them.. cops, combat vets, etc. Think the multi tour combat vet got it on the paw on the first go, I've towed the darn thing at near 50 people over the years when we had the towable one, only had a couple rifle guys make a vital hit on first try. Kinda funny since it's a plywood painted bear accelerated by a small car....

Granted a hunted bear is not a charging bear, but the conversion can be pretty quick.

Once towed two long track mountain sleds across the west with an aluminum 2x place trailer and a Honda civic hatchback. Can be done, but when speaking in general terms I'd reccomend something better suited. Same goes for the big bears, talented individual is probably good to go. Average dude should probably step up to a bigger bore rifle and practice.

Seeing a few early sign of bears coming out, wonder what the over under is on first attack of the year. My money is on hippy dippy running in spandex, since last year was servicemen on base....

Shot my 9' brown bear at about 35-40 yards through both lungs with my 8# SAKO actioned 416 Hoffman (essentially a 416 Rem Imp) using an original design Barnes 350 gr X-bullet. Lots of roaring and biting but dead in about 15 seconds. Two more shots at him before he died (1 by me and 1 by guide) but only hit a foot with one of them. When a big bear is roaring and dancing nobody can hit anything. Sooooo be very careful out there.