Known safe 338 Edge loads

midgetorama32

I am going to break-in the barrel on my Edge soon. To get to my shooting spot takes two hours so I would like to be able to spend a considerable amount of time there shooting and bring a lot of ammunition.

I understand all rifles are different, but would 90 grains of H-1000 and a 300 gr SMK be considered a "safe-in-all-rifles" type of load? The COAL is 3.790".

Thanks.

90grs, was very safe in my Edge. 2788fps. Some lots of powder have been fast, and people were getting preasure at 90gr. If you have a slow lot you should be fine. If your breaking in, just load some up starting at 88gr, and work up and you will know for sure.

For break in purposes, why not save the expensive 300 grain pills and use something like a 225 SST? These are cheap, recoil less and loaded at 90 grains or so is a very low pressure load. That said, I think I have a 'hot' lot of H1000 and I am running 89.5 of H1000 under the 300 grain bullets and the load is safe. I only know of a couple other guys running 90 grains or less.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.