Knight ultralight 45, never handled a muzzleloader, what now?

Jakeweb09

Okay so a buddy convinced me to buy a muzzleloader for a hunt coming up. I've got it in hand, now what? Lol. What bullets do you recommend? Do I need sabots? I honestly have no clue. I was able to grab a pound of 777 and some Winchester 209 777 primers. But confused by all the bullet selections. Looking at the power belt per 280s but do they require a sabot? Also how do you load them with the huge plastic tip?

Powerbelts do not need a sabot. They have a gas seal on the rear. I would think the next step would be to work up a load. I personally prefer to use a pistol bullet and a sabot,but my best friend loves his powerbelts. To each their own. I believe that powerbelt makes ramrod ends that match their profile. We just use a jag on the ramrod.

Read everything you can find. They are quite simple and once you get the hang of them are addicting.

I used to shoot a bullet called "Dead Centers" in my knight back when i used to muzzleloader. Best bullet I ever used in a muzzleloader. Not sure if they're still made or not.

This guy is a great source of info and inspiration.

Okay so a buddy convinced me to buy a muzzleloader for a hunt coming up. I've got it in hand, now what? Lol. What bullets do you recommend? Do I need sabots? I honestly have no clue. I was able to grab a pound of 777 and some Winchester 209 777 primers. But confused by all the bullet selections. Looking at the power belt per 280s but do they require a sabot? Also how do you load them with the huge plastic tip?
Give me a call 8133952290 Bill

I used to shoot a bullet called "Dead Centers" in my knight back when i used to muzzleloader. Best bullet I ever used in a muzzleloader. Not sure if they're still made or not.
Yes, they are still available and they come with the sabot. They work great in my Remington ML especially with Blackhorn 209 powder which has become scarce and extremely expensive .e.g., 8 ounces for $65; 8 pounces is equivalent to 3500 grains so at 90 grains (by weight) for each shot that's about 35 loads per 8 oz container or about $1.80 per shot just got powder. I have been in touch with Hodgdon's about this ridiculous situation and they claim that other powders have greater priority, that's why supply is so limited
Still available and they work great; I use the 220 gr. for whitetails.

Good info here as well. https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/

Knight Bloodlines may be an option as well. Muzzleloaders can be a finicky as smokeless rifles or as easy. My Knight is finicky, but once you find the combo, it should ring em out.

Cutting Edge Bullets in the 50 cal took my last deer. 250gr with 73gr BH209.

With your 777, I would suggest taking cleaning gear with you to the range. At least those type of powders in mine got tough to load after about 4 shots. Looked like stalagmites in the bore.

Best of luck. I find more folks tend to overload muzzleloaders than a lot of stuff. The old 45/70 loads used 70 grains of blackpowder. Enjoy it should be a nice rifle.

Best of luck. I find more folks tend to overload muzzleloaders than a lot of stuff. The old 45/70 loads used 70 grains of blackpowder. Enjoy it should be a nice rifle.
My marlin 45-70 is putting a rem 405 gn, at 1855fps. I have had great luck with this load for near 25 years...
*** Grove depth is not talked about much. Micro-grove is great for jacketed, lead---- not so much. **Sabot and a .358 200gn may out perform full 45cal loads