Knight Original Disc Rifle

Shane Lindsey

Greetings,
Anyone used Blackhorn with this?
I did some testing yesterday with it and some Barnes 285 Spitfires.
90 gr-nada
100 gr-nada
110 gr-still nada

Even mixed in some Harvester Crush Ribs to no avail.

Out of frustration I loaded up 80 gr- about an inch at 100 yards.

Still need to do some testing but curious about other experiences.

Shane

Anyone have issues shooting heavier bullets fast? Really would like to try and get some more velocity.

I have a Disc Extreme with 26" stainless barrel and I shoot 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 with 300 grain Barnes Expander MZ bullets . They shoot a little over an inch at 100 yards and their performance on deer is outstanding . I really don't know if it groups any better with more or less grains . 100 grains was where I started and where I stopped :D

Yeh. This one has been finicky with anything I load in it.
Pellets have done the same.
May have to give a lighter bullet a try.

Or just leave it alone. Got a good load now just need to see if it will repeat.

Have you tried the 300 grain Barnes Expander MZ . They don't like they could be very accurate with that big hollow tip but they are and they're devastating on deer . I shot two coyotes with them last fall and both were a mess . One of them was almost in two pieces .

The problem you have might be uneven ignition of the Blackhorn powder. I have a newer Disc Extreme that will not burn Blackhorn. I've tried different types of breech plugs they have to no avail. CCI mag primers and 2 others didn't help. I tried to contact Knight for assistance and they would not talk to me.

I fixed the problem with a CVA that shoots 2 inch groups at 200 yards with Hornady 300gr SST's and 110gr Blackhorn. The Knight sits in the safe collecting dust.

First you need to upgrade your gun you need the bare primer breech plug and the bolt nose bolt.
https://www.knightrifles.com/product/209-bare-primer-conversion-kit/
this will give you a seal around your primer and stop blow by and give the seal you need to get all the power from the primer to the powder and gets a better burn for BH209 and this will stop hang fires. and if you have a hang fire always reset the bullet it will move off the powder from the primer.

I have looked into swapoing the breech plug. Have also heard that some have not had problems with the older discs. I figured I would give it a chance before swapping. No problem yet with hang fires. They all ignited just fine.

I noticed the same issue with the heavier bullets when I shot pellets. It must not like the heavier ones moving fast. Still new rifle to me so much more experimentation to be done.
Not sold on BH yet but nice not having to clean as often.

The problem you have might be uneven ignition of the Blackhorn powder. I have a newer Disc Extreme that will not burn Blackhorn. I've tried different types of breech plugs they have to no avail. CCI mag primers and 2 others didn't help. I tried to contact Knight for assistance and they would not talk to me.

I fixed the problem with a CVA that shoots 2 inch groups at 200 yards with Hornady 300gr SST's and 110gr Blackhorn. The Knight sits in the safe collecting dust.

It may not be the breech plug. the sabot and bullet fit my be to loss and your not putting a good two handed presser when setting your bullet on the powder BH needs this to burn. like 75lbs + been shooting it every scents it first came out. what I do is set the bullet and then us both hands on the rod apply presser then you will feel the powder give a little then your good.

I shoot 3 50 cal Knights,9 I Disc Elite and 2 Disc Extremes(MH & LRH) all with Bare Primer Breech Plugs. After trying a lot of powders, bullets and sabots I've settled on Harvester's 300 gr. PT Gold bullet and Black Crush Rib Sabot, 110 gr of BH 209 and Winchester 209 regular primers. Its a very accurate load and is deadly on game. I've also had good luck with reducing the load to 100 gr. BH209. Our West Texas whitetails are not that large, but we have Axis, Fallow and Aoudad on our lease, not to mention a lot of feral hogs so I stick with the heavier bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.