Knee surgery

Knees are real funny joints and sometimes you just don't know what the outcome is going to be. I had left knee meniscus surgery in 2016 and when I woke up in recovery I felt zero pain in knee. Nurse asked me if I could stand up to get into wheelchair so I did. Felt solid, felt great and walked around her freaking her out. No pain, had stability, and felt strong. Went to see surgeon on Monday and walked into office, no crutches, no pain fully stable. Office mgr is his wife and was shocked. Funny thing was couple of Notre Dame linemen were sitting in waiting room with same surgery same day as mine. They were WTH is going on I am walking and they were on crutches! They just could not believe I had same surgery on same day as them.! Doc was laughing when he saw me and told me he told his attending that he thought I would have good outcome because of my knee structure but not anything like this. The recovery nurses called him when I left there all freaking out. No swelling, no pain, could bend, could squat and return to vertical with ease. Never had PT, and like I never had surgery. I walked in pain entire hunting season putting off the surgery because told 8-10 weeks on crutches because of the tear. So go figure, who would ever think this could happen?!

I lose mine in 1964 playing football. Spent 10 days in the hospital. The doctor pull fluid off my knee for 6 months. When out for football the next season. and did just fine.
Later on in life my knee got to killing me. I wore out my inside pad on that knee. Had total knee replacement a little under 2 years ago. I then had my left shoulder replaced about 4 months after that. Then this March I had my right shoulder replaced. My right knee does need a tunnel up, but not a replacement. The shoulder you have to be a lot more careful with after surgery. I got another month or there about for PT. Even after that it still takes time to get it back.
I was almost back to pulling my bow, but now I will have to start all over again. Looking forward to that.

Was in the process of getting ready for a Colorado elk hunt this fall. Twisted wrong at work, ended up having knee surgery this past Friday. Meniscus repair, as well as repaired some old damage to a tendon. Told my surgeon about the trip. He said to be ready to work hard if I wanted to make it. I told him I've been working hard for almost 56 years, and this is a once in a lifetime trip for me! Wish me luck.

Chat with your PT about getting a brace for the bad knee, or both knees. I sustained a few similar knee injuries when I was guiding years ago and the braces help immensely when packing out animals. You still get soar, but it can be addressed with ibuprofen, stretching and hydrating; whereas without the braces the pack out might not be possible at all.

Update. Surgery went great. The damage was more severe than we thought. Two tears, and the meniscus had pulled out of the bone. Also, some old damage that got cleaned up while he was in there. Four weeks of therapy down, two to go. No pain, good range of motion. He just wants me on the crutches longer than expected, because of the extensive repairs. If I don't run out of money before he lets me go back to work, the trip is still on!

Update. Surgery went great. The damage was more severe than we thought. Two tears, and the meniscus had pulled out of the bone. Also, some old damage that got cleaned up while he was in there. Four weeks of therapy down, two to go. No pain, good range of motion. He just wants me on the crutches longer than expected, because of the extensive repairs. If I don't run out of money before he lets me go back to work, the trip is still on!
Sounds like you are doing great. Keep working!

Wishing you nothing but the best! I dislocated my knee and tore my patellar tendon and some other ligaments last summer while trying to lift up on a boat that was not centered on the trailer.

I've broken my fair share of bones, but that was the only time I've ever thrown up from pain. I did my physical therapy religiously and did the at home workouts multiple times a day. I'm 22 years old and recovery was not fun at all. This combined with having to use crutches to get back and forth to my classes on campus made for a terrible 3 months. I was out doing things like deer hunting in 3 months, but I used a walking stick and took it easy. The paranoia about it happening again is the worst part, but I have no doubt if you keep at it you will be in good shape for your hunt!

@.gacton good deal!
Sounds familiar - I'm 56 and going under the scope on August 3rd to clean up a complex tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus, and a complex tear of the entire lateral meniscus in my left knee.
Rifle elk hunt in Wyoming (guided) starts Oct 6th.
Doc says I'll be ready to go if I do my PT...

@.gacton good deal!
Sounds familiar - I'm 56 and going under the scope on August 3rd to clean up a complex tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus, and a complex tear of the entire lateral meniscus in my left knee.
Hope yours goes as well as mine has. No pain. Excellent range of motion. Quad has not come back as fast I want it to, but I'm still working on it. My surgeon had me on a very conservative therapy regimen, and it's working. I hope he releases me to return to work on the 14th. Good luck, and do what they tell you. Don't rush it, but be ready to work. Our Colorado hunt starts Oct 30. My partners are worried about me keeping up. I told them not to! I got this. Keep us posted on your progress.

@.gacton good deal!
May I suggest that you wear a good quality boot that focuses on the inner heel as that area of the meniscus will take a beating on the downhill trekking. As well doing your PT/ training with them is critical in my opinion. Good Luck.

everybody is different. had two meniscus and a tolal knee replacement the best exercise is bike of
some kind . half squats etc. go slow and steady and by November you'll be find.
you will know in a couple months after the surgery . if its a good one but even just ok you can
go a long ways on a so so knee i did. good luck buddy post pictures ..

Well, it's been a long summer. Got a good report last week on the knee. Finally allowed to get back on the treadmill. Started with 20lbs. in my pack. 2% grade, 3 mph for just over 20 minutes. I guess all the time spent on the stationary bike paid off, as I wasn't winded and the knee felt good. Monday I'll up the weight a little, as well as vary the grade and speed. The knee feels good. We leave on the 26th so time is getting short! Good luck to everyone this year.