KNEE PADS

Lpart

I would like to know if anyone on this forum has managed to find knee pads that stay in place. I have tried several pads over the last few years and haven't yet managed to find a set that works for me. They either don't stay in place or are very uncomfortable. Have tried the built-in pant variety as well but didn't like those either. I have one artificial knee and the other is very sensitive. I am beginning if the right solution for me actually exists.

I buy Propper ATACS-au or similar military style trousers with the built in knee pad pockets. I never could find pads that suited me so I made my own out of heavy leather cemented to 1/4" foam pad like used in tool boxes. I cut them to fit perfectly in the pad pockets and they work great.
I did cut two "v" notches in each side to aid in flexibility. These things are a life saver when antelope hunting and are always there when I need them. I assumed you were inquiring for hunting or similar.

Last edited:
5.11 makes nylon tactical pants with sewn-in knee pad pockets and they sell "shaped" (scalloped on the sides so they bend and conform well) neoprene knee pads that actually work nicely.

I use them with my 5.11 pants when scrambling on rocky hikes but yes, I think now I'll use them on my next backpack hunt. Warm and DRY knees! What an idea.

Eric B.

I have a friend who owns and guides for a sheep hunting outfit in Kirg'stan and he swears by the knee pads made by Arteryx.

McDavid knee pads. They are made for basketball but work well for hunting. They don't slip. Not only are the comfortable they feel good. I use the leg sleeves. They also provide support for my knees. I don't hunt without them.

Last edited:
The neoprene pads won't provide protection for cactus. I am sure they would work okay for some form of protection. I have antelope hunting on the brain when it comes to talking knee pads. :)

OP, hands down the best knee pads I've ever used were the Crye Precision pads that were inserted into my combat pants. The whole setup is pretty pricey, but they never moved, provide awesome protection, and the pants have a cinch on the back of the calf to keep the pads in place.

You didn't mention what brand on pants you tried with knee pad pockets. For me the Sitka pants work great. Every time I kneel down they are under my knees, don't even think about them. I also have a knee replacement and another one coming in the future.

My son has the Sitka pants/knee pads. Likes them. I suspect their are less costly alternatives.

I've hunted 50yrs now, 40 in Alaska mountains. I've never taken a harsh impact to my knees. Know a guy on Kodiak that did two years ago on the beach rocks. I expect my time is coming as I get older, weaker, and clumsy. I started wearing some cheapo strap on knee pads two seasons ago. Ok in the wide open country. Not good in brush. I do use them when field dressing and working on game. Pull them from the backpack and they're nice for skinning & field processing of animals. Very light. A little bulky but cushiony. Throwaways really. They cost about $7.
I should probably find something better for wear while hiking. Only a matter of time before my time is up, and I injure a kneecap on a rock. Cheap protection compared to corrective surgery, for certain.

I have some built in to most of my hunting pants (Sitka, kryptex, etc), and they work very well for most stalking situations. For areas with sharp rocks and cactus I use a decent pair of work gel knee pads. They are heavy but give very good protection and are very comfortable.

I would like to know if anyone on this forum has managed to find knee pads that stay in place. I have tried several pads over the last few years and haven't yet managed to find a set that works for me. They either don't stay in place or are very uncomfortable. Have tried the built-in pant variety as well but didn't like those either. I have one artificial knee and the other is very sensitive. I am beginning if the right solution for me actually exists.

I have the Kryptek dalibor ii pants. I find them to be comfortable in a range of temperatures and exertion levels. Not to mention the built in but removable knee pads. They stay in place and are perfect IMO. The only downside is that they make my knees hot on the warm days. Overall the pant system is very nice and water shedding too. Runs you about $150 for a pair.

I got a pair of the McDavid model 6440X and they are great. Very light and do not slip! Thin but very effective for me when crawling around on my hands and knees. Put them on under any pant and you don't even know they are there. I have three or four others I have tried and they are all going in the trash.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.