Kirby built 338AM takes down 7 cows 515-1187 yards

Had some pretty sporty conditions on Friday and Saturday-----already have 2k 300 SMK's for my 338 Slowpokes (have 3) . Going to call my Smith tomorrow and let him know the bad news lol---he will be doing all of the work on the tweaking of the reamer design. Will be fun. Was going to build a 300 Jarrett as I have had the reamers, Stiller action, krieger tube, Jewell trigger, HS mag, for almost 2 years now but that is on the back burner for my non wood guns..

Last edited:
Man, this thread shouldn't have turned into this. It kind of kills me because this is one of the few websites left that is full of some of the most knowledgeable and experienced, stand-up shooters/smiths who offer honest opinions based on experience, testing and many bullets down the barrel.
Boss Hoss, I respect your opinion, I do have a bit of a problem with your approach on this but still beleive everyone has a right to his opinion and it should be taken as such. You've been one of the best posters here and I've learned a lot from you, as well as many others, EddyBo included. Let's let this tread die down and get back to learning from each other and keep passing on helpful info.
This isn't a Cabelas forum or some of the "sniper forums" full of longrange shooter wannabes.
EddyBo, good for you for putting so much time and effort into making sure other shooters hit their longerange marks. I'm sure you've brought few more LR shooters into our fold.

Well... It looks like this thread has taken a turn for the better, and I for one am glad to see it :)

I have never really had a big desire to shoot a 338 or anything more than a 300 RUM. One reason being... I HATE BRAKES :cool::D... but this thread sure has got me thinking... this 338 AM is one great cartridge!

Eddybo, kuddos for all you do for the sport... keep it up...

Mark

Last edited:
nice shooting guys. im seriously jealous of ur skills. got a deer today. only at 250yrds. but what i feel comfortable at the moment with the .308 on big game.
what i dont understand is i thought it was mentioned that you pay up to 1k for a hunt. woooooow. spend 2k, fly to nz and we can go shoot as many tahr in the most extreme country you can imagine. no tags no limits no rule no anything but fun....

Wow! that's pretty wild!!! No fees or tags or season to hunt. How do you get up there, by helicopter? I hunted Red Stag in NZ and had a great time. It's such pretty a country.

nice shooting guys. im seriously jealous of ur skills. got a deer today. only at 250yrds. but what i feel comfortable at the moment with the .308 on big game.
what i dont understand is i thought it was mentioned that you pay up to 1k for a hunt. woooooow. spend 2k, fly to nz and we can go shoot as many tahr in the most extreme country you can imagine. no tags no limits no rule no anything but fun....

Don't they get over hunted?

hey Friz
no all game species in NZ are pests as they were all introduced and they destroy the local flora. DOC (our Department of Conservation) has only one concern and that is for the well being of the native species so they actually do culls on tahr where once an area gets to around over 10 per km square (i think thats the number) they fly around in helicopters and just mow them down and leave them on the hill. The also have this thing where they want you to shoot 3 nannies for every bull you shoot. Normally when i go shooting them ill shoot a bull and then 5 or so nannies and take back legs and back steaks.
once counted over 100 animals on a face that was no bigger than 2km square.
so no theres no issue of over hunting. also considering that in the South island where i live the population is only around 1million.

hey Friz
no all game species in NZ are pests as they were all introduced and they destroy the local flora. DOC (our Department of Conservation) has only one concern and that is for the well being of the native species so they actually do culls on tahr where once an area gets to around over 10 per km square (i think thats the number) they fly around in helicopters and just mow them down and leave them on the hill. The also have this thing where they want you to shoot 3 nannies for every bull you shoot. Normally when i go shooting them ill shoot a bull and then 5 or so nannies and take back legs and back steaks.
once counted over 100 animals on a face that was no bigger than 2km square.
so no theres no issue of over hunting. also considering that in the South island where i live the population is only around 1million.

Dang, I might have to come out and visit you lol. I live just out of Washington DC and we are able to get unlimited whitetail does, but only two bucks. I mainly just donate all my meat to the homeless organizations. Of course, my freezer is full too.

sweet come on over. ill be comming over to the states in november. heading to Colorado so may have to swap a hunt with someone since i will be missing shooting while there:D

Boss Hoss,
I don't see a problem there, your stuck on who pulls the trigger, anyone who shoots a bit can pull the trigger, If you have a properly set up rifle and someone who knows how to set it up for the shot, anyone can make a long range shot.
When all the data is collected and the scope is set isn't it just a matter of putting the "X" on the desired point of aim and squeezing the trigger? So whats the big deal?
I've taken 4 guys out who had never shot beyond 250 yards and let them shoot, I go over the #'s with them and instruct them on how much elevation and windage to dial, explain to them why its done this way and act as the spotter for them, the outcome, 4 shots, 4 dead deer at the ranges of 567,575,575, and 722 yards. get off the high horse, other folks can shoot, they just don't know ballistics as intricately as others.
RR

People who have long distance shooting skills know that almost anyone can pull the trigger and make 1,000 yard hits. This skill is not in the trigger! The skill is in the prep. Doping the wind and the elevation and telling the shooter when to pull the trigger is the hard part. Im sure a skilled shooter like Edybo can take 8 out of 10 beginning shooters and have them hitting targets at similar ranges.

This summer I took my 15 lb 338 edge in the mountains near my home and had 3 out of 4 children hit the 1,000 yard target with first round hits. 3 out of 4 of them never touched a rifle bigger than a 22 cal.

I set up the gun on a sand bag and bi-pod, I dialed the scope in on the elevation and changed the windage according to what the wind was doing at the time. I gave them specific instruction on how to hold, how to breathe and lastly, I told them not to squeeze until the wind agreed with the dope (I told them when to shoot).

My 10 yr old who weighs 75 lbs hit the 1,000 yard target first hit, my 13 yr old hit it frist hit, and my 14 yr old hit it first hit and 4 successive hits. The second 10 yr old missed 1st shot and hit it near dead center second shot.

So, when Edybo tells his story, its clear to me that he was doing all the work and the shooters simply squeezed the trigger.

Before people start spouting off negative about other peoples accomplishments, it wuold be wise to understand more about how others are occomplishing such stunning results in the shooting world.

trip054.jpg

Thought I had posted some pics. I was more interested in getting some meat, cant eat photos. Well here is one that I had handy and already hosted.

Best thing about long range hunting is the camo or lack there of. Eddybo is dressed like he has been to this rodeo before.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.