Kirby built 338AM takes down 7 cows 515-1187 yards

Good shooting by all, and what a great representation of what LongRange Hunting should be and how it should be done.
Laying down 7 elk like that is using the right stuff and knowing how to use it, not taking pot shots!!!
Again great shooting and can't wait for the Pics:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the lucid thoughts on the subject. I do not feel I did anything or need to justify myself to anyone and do not even know why I responded earlier, other than for clarification.

Ethics do not play into it, in my mind. In the grand scheme of things I think the man up yonder is going to be more concerned with how I treat my fellow man than how I decide to gather groceries. I do find that by and large that long range hunters are the guys who are the most prepared for a hunt.

This was a fast and nasty meat hunting trip in an area where population reduction is needed, this was not a trophy hunting trip. The faster we filled tags the faster we got home to our families. We did not purposefully set up for long shots, but we did not waste any time on long stalks either. We also did not pass any short shots. We passed several several long shots because I was not confident that I had a good wind read. My windage threshold for a shot over 600 yards is probably lower than most use. Luckily on this trip for the most part we were blessed with very calm conditions.

I say if anyone wants to fuss about my hunting let them first confront every guy that goes afield having shot less than a box of bullets before season. Or at least hammer on the guy who took his bore sighted only rifle to the field. We all know the guys who do not even verify their rifle is zeroed between seasons, fuss at them and leave me alone.

Eddybo i would like to know more about the hunt and if there is a spot open for next year I am definitely interested. I will have my 338 AM by then and would enjoy learning from you and others who know lots more then i do. Send me a PM if you get a chance thanks.

Good story as usual. When I come down for some cerakote maybe we can grill some elk steaks. I'm trying to think of anything that I may have that I could trade you for some of the elk meat...... all I have in great supply is BS. Nobody wants that. :cool:

The processor may be busy for a few days. His walk in cooler was empty when we arrived, completely full when we left. You know I enjoy BS as much as anyone.....come up with a good story and I will send some butterflied elk tenderloins home with you.

Good story as usual. When I come down for some cerakote maybe we can grill some elk steaks. I'm trying to think of anything that I may have that I could trade you for some of the elk meat...... all I have in great supply is BS. Nobody wants that. :cool:

I could have taken up to ten people on this hunt, but because of the incident that happened last year when the hunt got canceled I did not offer anyone any spots this year. If it turns out that everything remains stable with the ranch I will definitely spread the word.

Good story and some nice shots!! keep the posts coming becuase they are what this site is all about! I hope that one day i will be making shots like the ones you guys make and that one day i will have a kirby built 338AM!! Have a good season and dont listen to people who dont know **** about you.

This tread makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I hate to see anyone sling crap at each other, especially on this site.

Eddybo, good work, good shooting and good for you for helping/coaching the other huntiers with thier shots. Can't wait to see the pictures!

I Think the ones that have the biggest problem with shooting game at long range are the ones that can't do it. You can give anyone a rifle and tell them to shoot a target or animal at 100, 200 or even 300 yards and they will make a hit without any practice. Tell that same shooter to hit a target at 1000+ yards and they can't do it. It takes practice, practice, practice and even more practice. Anyone who is willing to spend that much money on a custom rifle with a custom caliber is going to practice. I had a .375 Cheytac built by Lawton and put over 300 rounds through it before i went hunting with it. I was able to shoot 3 shot groups at 1.5 inches at 1000 yards cross canyon in in western Oregon. I didn't have a chance to shoot an elk this year but i feel my skills are good enough to take an elk at 1000 yards and plan to do so next year. And thats what i have to say about that.

Jeeper....

What kind of bullets are you shooting? I was worried about availability in .375 for an accurate hunting bullet. Good shooting the NBRSA record is 1.473.

Last edited:
I shoot 350 gr Sierra match kings. I think you can get them from Lawton or from Cheytac. I am also going to try a 300 gr Nosler accubond. I am not sure how the accubonds will shoot yet but the Sierra's shoot awsome. They where a $1.25 a bullet when i bought them. Rocky mountian bullet company also has an aluminum tiped 370 gr bullet. they say the bc is .948 and they are $245.00 for 100. Hope that helps.

Eddybo,
Congrats on your great hunting trip!!! Looking forward to see the pictures.
Wish I was there as one of your friends shooting long range, would have been great to have you as a spotter, that would have made me feel very comfortable. Nobody can argue your success, just ignore the negative comments. Keep on posting and on teaching with tips and hunting stories, so we the guys who dont know as much about LRH can keep on learning!!!

Eddybo, as the other members have said, keep the posts coming. I'm sure we all agree that ethics are important and we should only take the shots that we are comfortable and 100 % sure of. You obviously have the equipment and knowledge that allows a greater comfort level than others. Great job on your hunt and for introducing others to the sport. Honestly, if it weren't for guys such as yourself taking time to share your knowledge and experience, most of us wouldn't be half as far along as we are. Keep up the good work!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.