Kimber Montana

Ghogsniper

New guy here who has mostly Rem 700's, but am curious about the Kimber Montana for a coyote rifle. Considering a 22-250 or possibly a .243. Really like the light weight of these rifles. Does anyone have good or bad things to say about them ?

I bought a Kimber 82 in .308 made in Younkers; about 15 years ago. It went back to the factory 3 times for repairs. First, one pillar was not at 90 degrees and it was very difficult to re-mount them. Kimber put a new (but beautiful) stock on it. Then my smith found a burr in the barrel near th muzzle. Kimber put a new barrel on. Finally I got to shoot it. It will not accept my FL sized reloads, so I shoot Federal 165 grainers. Groups about 1 - 1 1/2" at 100 yds. Finally, I found that with 2 in the magazine, the floorplate sprung open when I fired it. Back to Kimber again. Dunno how they fixed that.

NO MORE KIMBERS FOR ME.

I've bought two new 6.5 CM Kimber Montana's and Won one 270 win Kimber Mountain Ascent, they all shot extremely well, I will say I did have each one bedded and the trigger adjusted before shooting them.
IMHO best lightweight factory rifle sold.
I've also built a dozen or more custom rifles on Kimber Montana platforms with great success.

I've bought two new 6.5 CM Kimber Montana's and Won one 270 win Kimber Mountain Ascent, they all shot extremely well, I will say I did have each one bedded and the trigger adjusted before shooting them.
IMHO best lightweight factory rifle sold.
I've also built a dozen or more custom rifles on Kimber Montana platforms with great success.

I like them as well. I am fortunate enough to have one of Weatherby fan's customs and it shoots great and what a wonderful light rifle to carry. In fact it shoots so good that that I've yet to equal the factory Hornady 139 GMX with my handloads. Best group with the GMX has been .224 three shots at 100 yds. Amazing accuracy from factory ammo.

I bought a Kimber Montana in 2004, getting ready to retire. It was advertised Melvin Forbes of NULA designed the Montana stock, His stocks seem to tame recoil. I bought a 300 WSM for a light high country Elk, Mule Deer rifle.
I installed a Leopold 2.5-8 VXII series scope with Kimber bases and Leopold rings, With a nylon sling and 4 Shells, Weight 7lb. 6oz.
I loaded some jacket core bullets and went to the range. At 100 yds. 150 gr. 1 1/4", 165 gr.1" and 180 gr. went in 9/16" groups. Shoots Hornady, Sierra and Nosler Partitions 180 gr. under 1".

The action seems to have it all, Pre 64 Win. Extractor and 3 position safety, Sako adjustable firing pin, Bolt release lever. The kimber bolt is unique. With the bolt in battery, Put the safety in the first safety position. Remove the bolt from the rifle, and just twist and remove the firing pin assembly for cleaning and lubing.

I read stories about bad accuracy when the Kimber Montana first hit the market. Maybe I just lucked out on this rifle.
This rifle has become my go to rifle.

Kimbers seem to be hit and miss. Which should not be the case for what you pay for them. I had a 7 wsm montana. Did a bunch of loading with every bullet and powder combination you could think of. Never would shoot sub moa. Maybe that was expecting too much from a sporter barreled rifle. There are plenty of cheaper rifles out there that will shoot as good or better than a kimber for a fraction of the price.

You roll the dice on any factory rifle. Double the risk when they r ultralight and in magnum chambering. Especially when you look at what you r getting for a heck of a price. Have you priced a 5-6 pound custom build with a top end carbon stock etc? Gets crazy fast!
Kimbers
are a good gamble in my book. You may get a lemon but usually it sounds like it an easy fix. I say go for it if you like the fit and feel. I wouldn't expect one to be a 700plus hunting rifle but it may surprise you... IF YOU can shoot it , lightweights take extra measures to shoot well. Anyway, good luck

i can tell you i know a factory kimber that anyone in 3 hots can hit a 3moa plat at 800 yards. i have a few and they have been fine if you shoot them slow. no lemons or super winners yet. most issues with kimbers can be solved easily with proper bedding and making the magazine free float.

Yep
I'd strongly recommend just buying a basic T3 in any standard boltface chambering, and screw on a Tikka prefit from Criterion for $375.
You'll for sure have an exceptional shooter, plus you can get the twist and throating of your choice

Bought an 84M Montana in 308 and immediately put a factory contour 23" Benchmark in 6.5 Creed on it - before it was available in 6.5. Bedded it myself. The thing is ridiculously accurate with a very hot load of 139 Scenar and R17. Cerakote smoothed the action. I have $1700 in it but a bargain in my eyes for what it does. You do have to drive such a lightweight with special care.

Attachments

• 2BEFAF4E-03D1-4B36-B792-FC636E7B1111.jpeg
    2BEFAF4E-03D1-4B36-B792-FC636E7B1111.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 852
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.