Kimber Montana Build - .308

Hello all,

New to the forum and need to build some credit to be able to message and whatnot, so I figured should share my rifle assembly for mountain hunting.

Rifle will be used between Adirondack hunting in think timber (hard to have a shot more than 100 yards) and used home in Montana for some timber Muley and possibly even elk. The max range I am currently comfortable with is ~350 yards but we will see how this rifle is. Note that the 350 yard restriction is based on the shooter… not the rifle. I'm practicing, but still have plenty of work to do.

I bought a used Kimber Montana 84M in .308 and putting a Swaro Z3 2-10x42 BRX on with Talley Lightweight Medium rings. (Will upload picture once mounted for bolt clearance with medium height rings. Might switch to low if possible).

Hoping to shoot box ammo through this and would be ideal if it liked the Nosler Trophy Hunter 168 gr accubond LR as much as my other .308 to keep things simple. Will update with grouping as well.
Posted my reticle calc with a 200 yard zero here as well.

Also plan on getting a mountain ascent bolt handle for style points if the budget holds out. With scope, rings and rifle, I am looking for a sub 6.5 lbs rifle and am currently in for $1700

Attachments

• C8EB6161-610D-47A8-B167-579CB9AFD7BC.png
    C8EB6161-610D-47A8-B167-579CB9AFD7BC.png
    42 KB · Views: 84
Welcome from Texas- that sounds like a great light and handy rifle setup. Just remember with that reticle that it's a Second Focal Plane so the holdovers will vary based on your chosen magnification. Might help to make yourself a cheat sheet for each holdover from 2x all the way to 10x.

Welcome from Texas- that sounds like a great light and handy rifle setup. Just remember with that reticle that it's a Second Focal Plane so the holdovers will vary based on your chosen magnification. Might help to make yourself a cheat sheet for each holdover from 2x all the way to 10x.
Great feedback.
This will be my first rifle with a reticle that's not a straight cross-hair and I grew up in a hunting camp where you sight in @200yards and hold on everything less than that. Taking a step forward and working to be more accurate and set myself up for success. In theory, I'm hoping to hold on target for 200 and less, then if I'm shooting beyond that, I'll be at my max power of 10x and can just print that one reticle calc to stick to my stock. Open to feedback on other or better strategies though. New to this.