Kimber Montana 8400 300 WSM....re-barrel or sell?

Can't make any barrel/cartridge recommendations for ya as it will be YOU who ultimately makes that decision but..
My .02......and I hate the idea of selling ANY gun like you......you have it for free now, didn't cost ya a dime. What can ya get for it? $1000?? Will that grand make you happy or rich? Do you REALLY need the $$?
In my experience, money has been easier to obtain than guns, so I'd keep it and try and make it something I'd be happy with in the interim and leave it to the kid(s) who can say, "My dad, your Grandfather, got this for a wedding present and he rebuilt it and gave it to me, and now I'm giving it to you". IMO, THAT'S priceless. YMVMV. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I agree with rebarreling.

You're gonna end up with a sweet shooting, easy to carry lightweight rifle for essentially the cost of a rebarrel. Do it.

I have one, Cut 4 inches off the barrel to make it handy with a suppressor. I only shoot to 400m max anyway.
Yes it does have a bit of a recoil "punch" so you have to pay attention when shooting but its a hunting rifle not a range/bench rifle. Chopping the barrel best move I made.

So I guess it depends on what you think of the gift. I will tell you my wife bought me my first rifle amd it didn't shoot well so I sold it... I feel bad everytime I think about it.

If you don't like the 300 wsm I would say convert, but keep it. I find myself trying to go lighter and lighter with each rifle. I think I am done with the heavies. Kimber makes a light rifle. Even better if they shoot well.

I think I too am getting there. I have a Kimber Hunter 84L in .30-06 (being chambered to .30 Gibbs) and is my first light rifle ever.

The .300 WSM with a MB propelling the 215 Berger in the 2800 FPS is no slouch.

I have one, Cut 4 inches off the barrel to make it handy with a suppressor. I only shoot to 400m max anyway.
Yes it does have a bit of a recoil "punch" so you have to pay attention when shooting but its a hunting rifle not a range/bench rifle. Chopping the barrel best move I made.

I think I'm going to do the same with mine. Chop down to 20" and thread 1/2x28. muzzle diameter will be about 0.62" at that spot.

mine was threaded M14x1 (since I live in a metric country :D )
I will be shooting either the 175TLR's or 200ELD-X
the 300wsm has enough power to do what I need out to 4-500m I don't need a longer barrel to get caught up BUT also it just makes it all point so much better when the suppressor is fitted. Same length with suppressor fitted as with factory barrel and no suppressor

I love Kimber Montana's
I'd say rebarrel it to 6.5 PRC or 270 WSM. Of course I've always been a 270 WSM junky

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.