Kimber Montana 8400 300 WSM....re-barrel or sell?

lhp63190

I've got a Kimber Montana 8400 300 WSM that I just don't like that much. It was given to me as a gift...and it shoots great for a production rifle approx 3/4 moa. It's been with w/ me to Alaska for a Black Bear Hunt and New Mexico for an elk hunt the year that I got it and I came home empty handed both times, but its pretty much been in the safe ever since. Advantages -- lightweight and accurate. Disadvantage -- not fun to shoot much and I much prefer my 28 Nosler and 300 PRC.

I've been thinking about selling it for a while but I generally hate selling guns. It occurred to me that since it already has a magnum bolt face, it would potentially be a good candidate for a re-barrel to 6.5 PRC. It would become a Texas Whitetail gun for my wife and son....after i take it for a test drive. Anyone have any thoughts/advice on re-barreling kimbers? Here are my questions concerns:
  • Barrel Contour -- anybody know what the barrel contour is on factory Kimbers? Also, what is the largest contour the montana stock will accept without modification?
  • Mag Box/Bullet Selection -- looks like the mag box is 3" on the 8400. Based on what i can find, seem like it would be fine to run the berger 140s, ELD-X 143, but might be tight or short on the Berger 156? Thoughts?
  • I guess i could also look at running it in a 6.5 CM but that seems kinda boring for a dedicated hunting rig.
So what say you, convert it or sell it and put the money to a new project?

So I guess it depends on what you think of the gift. I will tell you my wife bought me my first rifle amd it didn't shoot well so I sold it... I feel bad everytime I think about it.

If you don't like the 300 wsm I would say convert, but keep it. I find myself trying to go lighter and lighter with each rifle. I think I am done with the heavies. Kimber makes a light rifle. Even better if they shoot well.

Last edited:
It was is a wedding present from someone that I haven't spoken to since the wedding....business colleague from 15 years ago. I'm not emotionally attached.

I have the same rifle. I picked it up cheap with the intention to Rebarrel it to a 25 PRC. Finding a fast twist barrel to run the 131 blackjack or 128 hammer has been tough. What I've learned in my research is if you send your barrel into Bartlien they will make you a barrel and contour it to the Kimber spec so it'll match up perfect. Hart barrels already have the Kimber contour spec so there is an option. I believe a bartlien 2b will fit the Montana stock without modification.

6.5 prc is a great round. My 6.5 PRC handloads with a 140 vld are at 2.950 so the Kimber will have enough room. @Kimber7man has a Montana rebarreled to 6.5PRC and has had good results.

I really like the Montana rifles and your right the 300 wsm isn't a ton of fun to shoot. A built Kimber would just be cool too in my opinion.

Ideally, I'd really like to run the Berger 156 and it seems like those are landing around 3.050. Possible to drop in a bigger box into factory stock or should i rethink?

I think a 6.5 PRC with a 156 berger would be best in a long action

agree. If you can live with it at 3.00" you can fling it in a Kimber. I have some to load up and see how they fly but my Gunsmith had the virus and it hasn't been clear to go there to shoot. I also am going to see how the 144 hybrids do in the Kimber and my 6.5 SAUM.

Assuming the 156 is too long. What are the thoughts on the 140 vld vs 140 EH?

I run the eld-x in my creedmoor but I don't care for them at PRC velocities.

Ideally, I'd really like to run the Berger 156 and it seems like those are landing around 3.050. Possible to drop in a bigger box into factory stock or should i rethink?

What's max COAL the box will accommodate? The 156 EOL tolerate a good jump. Some have reported 0.130" jump and shooting fine. I'm loading to 2.950" in a short action Savage and they shoot great.

In my opinion if you don't like the rifle already you probably won't like it later( after the honeymoon faze wears off)is the recoil the only thing you don't like about it?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.