Kimber Montana .30-06

Kimba, thank you for the in depth explanation of he to bed a rifle. I'm sure that'll come in handy. I'd really like to learn. My buddy just got a 300WSM that he's planning on skim bedding, so I'm going to ask him if I can take part in that. You make it sound very easy... And I do a lot of wood working, so I'm at least moderately capable of using my brain and hands. I'm sure I could do it. With Kimber saying that they'll do it for free, I think I'll let them take a crack at it first. Even if they say it'll take 6-8 weeks, grr.

The Montana was designed to have a free floating barrel, so I am going to give it a chance with a truly free floated barrel. If there are still fliers, I will try to bed the barrel all the way down the stock to see if that helps.

Speaking of woodworking, I've been making rifle display cases recently. People who've had, "special" guns that they want to display of the wall have really liked them. If anyone is interested, let me know. I love doing it. Not really a business more just a hobby.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 108
Kimba, thank you for the in depth explanation of he to bed a rifle. I'm sure that'll come in handy. I'd really like to learn. My buddy just got a 300WSM that he's planning on skim bedding, so I'm going to ask him if I can take part in that. You make it sound very easy... And I do a lot of wood working, so I'm at least moderately capable of using my brain and hands. I'm sure I could do it. With Kimber saying that they'll do it for free, I think I'll let them take a crack at it first. Even if they say it'll take 6-8 weeks, grr.

The Montana was designed to have a free floating barrel, so I am going to give it a chance with a truly free floated barrel. If there are still fliers, I will try to bed the barrel all the way down the stock to see if that helps.

Speaking of woodworking, I've been making rifle display cases recently. People who've had, "special" guns that they want to display of the wall have really liked them. If anyone is interested, let me know. I love doing it. Not really a business more just a hobby.

I am interested in your display boxes. I have scoped rifle that I have retired and an old but beautiful double gun I want to display in my game room. What is the best way to discuss? Many thanks.

lloydsmale,

Yes I believe it is pillar bedded and glass bedded. Am I missing a nuance to your question? I don't mean that as a smart *** remark, but I'm new to this so it's quite possible.

Jason

my 308 is both action bedded and pillar bedded. I was just curious when bedding is even a discussion with a montana? By the way mine was free floated from the factory too. Most times when one wont shoot its barrel quality (some bad ones snuck out of there) and a gun that's so light that it really takes concentration on the bags to shoot small groups and lots of paitients letting that pencil thin barrel cool between shots.

I have a Kimber Montana 300 WSM that would should 2" groups at 100 yards, and after doing some research, here is the list of things that I found that helped. Now this rifle consistently shoots under an inch at 300 yards.

• Kimber beds their stocks with slave actions, so in my opinion, you need to have someone other than Kimber bed the action. The barrel should be free floating from the recoil lug forward.
  • You need to make sure that the magazine isn't binding between the action and the stock. If you install the stock without the follower and spring, you should be able to feel the magazine move up and down freely.
  • Replace the Leupold rings and bases with the Talley.
  • Follow Kimbers torque sequence when tightening the action screws, the front first then the rear.
  • The Kimber Trigger is adjustable, and you should probably have the pull reduced. I have mine set at 1 1/2 lbs, but I don't chamber a round until I'm ready to shoot.
  • Like you have already done, polishing the barrel helps. Kimber recommended JB bore past to me in the past.
  • Kimbers are known to shoot the Barnes TSX, T-TSX and Nosler Accubonds (Original) are known to shoot really well out of
  • If you feel you need to have your hand on the gun to control the recoil, try placing your hand lightly on top of the scope.
Hope this helps.

azgutpile,

Where have you been all my life? lol.

Thank you. I've been doing a lot of thinking, and still haven't sent the rifle back to Kimber. I asked around and found some well recommended gunsmiths in my area (not guys that work at a gun store lol). I think I'll take your list and one list of a guy I found on another forum that said he owns some obscene amount of Montana's and he's done basically what you've said plus another few things to each of them. Like you've said they all shot great after he did that procedure.

Unfortunately I'm not smart enough to do it all myself, and I don't have enough time to learn myself on it. I very much appreciate your post.

I've heard that Kimber uses a slave action to form the stock, but uses the actual action to bed the stock after. Apparently you've heard differently?

Jason

Kimber might not use slave actions, its something I read while doing the same research your doing. But what I can say is that once I re bedded the stock and shortened the magazine, the accuracy improved significantly. The original bedding in my stock was cracking, flacking and was painted over at the same time they painted my stock.

Also, If you're capable of making the rifle boxes you posted, you are more than capable of bedding the stock yourself. Just make sure you use a release agent and mask or fill any areas you don't want bedding compound. If you mess up, just start over.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.