Kill the wolf?

The American Indians were known for their ability to manage wildlife with the presence of predator's and they passed that on to the early American Settlers.

Somewhere along the way those skills have gone astray.

"When you disturb the balance of nature you create an imbalance that is hard to reverse."

It doesn't mean that introducing Predator's into a Wildlife Area works, anymore than Hunting them to point of instinction would work.

"A strong Herd will keep any Predator at bay when protecting their young."
I have watched how wolves break out cow and calf elk from a herd of over 60 head of elk. To me, this is a large herd of animals. There were 7 wolves in the pack I watched from across a canyon that were able to get 4 ahead of almost a dozen head. 3 were behind them with one on each side and one pushing them into the 4 that were lying in wait for ambush. Several of the elk managed to cut back to the herd before the one on the top managed to cut the others off. They absolutely hamstrung the seven they chased and only ate the uterus of the elk. We managed to ride up the following day and found one cow still alive that was damaged so severely she couldn't get up. As we only had bull tags we couldn't do anything.
I managed to drive to where I could call the Fish &Game and was told not to touch them and they would send field officers up to our camp for us to show them the kill site. They never showed but called me almost 2 weeks later for information to the site.
I guarantee you that wolves will penetrate any herd size they desire and safety is numbers doesn't matter. They decimated huge numbers of elk from the herds we once had and the ones left have moved into areas that they never lived before to escape them. Sadly, now they have Cougars that are preying on them in these areas.

I live in northern Utah, I'm wanting to come up to Idaho and hunt for wolves can anybody give me a area, I am planning on a Bear hunt in May. Would like to go up before then for wolves

Depending upon where at in northern Utah...they may be behind your house.....they were in Malad city 3 years ago....undocumented in Utah and now documented in Nevada.....
Find your winter herds and you'll more than likely find their tracks....take out a few cougars while you're at it

I have watched how wolves break out cow and calf elk from a herd of over 60 head of elk. To me, this is a large herd of animals. There were 7 wolves in the pack I watched from across a canyon that were able to get 4 ahead of almost a dozen head. 3 were behind them with one on each side and one pushing them into the 4 that were lying in wait for ambush. Several of the elk managed to cut back to the herd before the one on the top managed to cut the others off. They absolutely hamstrung the seven they chased and only ate the uterus of the elk. We managed to ride up the following day and found one cow still alive that was damaged so severely she couldn't get up. As we only had bull tags we couldn't do anything.
I managed to drive to where I could call the Fish &Game and was told not to touch them and they would send field officers up to our camp for us to show them the kill site. They never showed but called me almost 2 weeks later for information to the site.
I guarantee you that wolves will penetrate any herd size they desire and safety is numbers doesn't matter. They decimated huge numbers of elk from the herds we once had and the ones left have moved into areas that they never lived before to escape them. Sadly, now they have Cougars that are preying on them in these areas.
They didn't show up, because there was no money to be extorted in the form of fines. If you would have told them you shot ten wolves that were slaughtering elk, they would have been there to write tickets, steel firearms and make arrests. Guaranteed.

Y
They didn't show up, because there was no money to be extorted in the form of fines. If you would have told them you shot ten wolves that were slaughtering elk, they would have been there to write tickets, steel firearms and make arrests. Guaranteed.
Yea, they probably only followed up later just so they could keep up with locations of their pet project.

I live in northern Utah, I'm wanting to come up to Idaho and hunt for wolves can anybody give me a area, I am planning on a Bear hunt in May. Would like to go up before then for wolves
You should go shoot them in Utah. They are all over the Uinta Mts. I have them on trail cam and have seen them while I was out chasing elk with a bow. Since Utah doesnt think they have them, you are really just shooting "Big Coyotes".

You should go shoot them in Utah. They are all over the Uinta Mts. I have them on trail cam and have seen them while I was out chasing elk with a bow. Since Utah doesnt think they have them, you are really just shooting "Big Coyotes".
Last i heard in Utah they are just predators . They don't want them.

Stay north of I-84. You can also get on the Idaho Department of Fish &Game website at: www.idaho.gov
They have maps that show the pack density in all of the various hunting units in Idaho.

^^^^^^^^^^
Had simular happen...my son was 5 and a new pup yellow lab down playing in our trees....german Shepard and Rottweiler came running into yard and down into the trees right at my son and pup....luckily I was outside and had just enough time to get a hold of a chunk of firewood and beat those dogs to the kid.....i smashed the firewood into the Shepard as hard as i could...and screamed at them to get....
They didn't leave willing...but the Shepard wasn't feeling so good....
He backed off and the rot did the same....when they were gone I got my keys and went looking for them....found them back on a porch down the road......i rapped my knuckles on that door...when they answered I told them where their dogs had been and if anything would have happened to my son I would have killed all four of them......i dont think they believed me.....................people not taking care of their animals is ridiculous.......look at all the pets released on the streets these days.......and they want to tell us to let wolves alone.....
I say they can *Rule 4 Violation* off........
Back in the days I was wearing a badge we spent a lot of time responding to dog calls. Everyone had to have some sort of bull dog and when they got intimidated by it the dog was relegated to a chain and a coop. They got loose, ran the roads, killed pets, scared people etc. I shot a number of "pets" people neglected. A dog should be a family member, not an ornament. I hate shooting dogs but in the remote woods or on the farm I usually don't hesitate.

Back in the days I was wearing a badge we spent a lot of time responding to dog calls. Everyone had to have some sort of bull dog and when they got intimidated by it the dog was relegated to a chain and a coop. They got loose, ran the roads, killed pets, scared people etc. I shot a number of "pets" people neglected. A dog should be a family member, not an ornament. I hate shooting dogs but in the remote woods or on the farm I usually don't hesitate.
Don't have to shoot any here. Wolves beat you to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.