Kill the wolf?

You really need to read a book called "Alaska Wolf Man", by Jim Rearden. It is very informative and educational about a man that lived with wolves for 40 years. They kill for reasons other than hunger. Good read for anyone on this thread.
Yea they kill just because they can. Saw to many bull elk dead

I have a hard time understanding how people that don't live in the area - without seeing real time, whats happening to the deer and elk populations- can sit their and logically think that they can make concrete choices on how to manage them.
I agree wholeheartedly.

I also believe that those surrounded by armed men should not restrict or remove my 2nd amendment rights, keep me from hunting game in the mountains I live in. They state the game is not there, yet have probably never scouted more than a few feet from the road. The deer, big horn sheep, coyotes and bear are a lot closer to towns and in great densities than the california dept. of wildlife suspect. I was forced to retire so I have time to scout.

And on the light side, I am a better quarterback from my armchair than those million dollar clowns in the NFL.

Just this last week a wolf was hit by a car less then 2 miles from post falls idaho.

fish and game has not released a statement, haven't seen any news on this from the Cda press.

wolves have finally made it to the low land - I imagine news will hit Facebook quick when one of the wolves plucks a couple pets!
We have been in luck out here as facebook has not been notified. Every fall & spring pets, goats and such are removed from back yards by mountain lions and coyotes. Warnings go to all parents about protecting your children and pets.
Oh, according to officials we don't have mountain lions in our mountains except a 'long' ways from homes.

I recently listened to this podcast and found it very interesting and insightful on the topic of wolves. It's a little slow to start but if you stick with it you'll hear some very interesting info. I live in NW Montana and it is a predator pit like he discusses. Odd concept nowadays given our current social and political climate, but this guys experiences and also what I have seen show that nature doesn't always know best... Ungulate populations around where I live are low enough to where I've seen a decline in wolf numbers. We still have too many but we've exceeded our carrying capacity for wolves and frankly there's not much left even for the wolves. With active predator and forestry management we could have better biodiversity across the board. Some would say that's not natural, but quite frankly nature sucks at regulating itself. Give this a listen, it's good for people to hear on both sides of the fence.

https://www.themeateater.com/listen...e-north-american-model-with-dr-valerius-geist

Just this last week a wolf was hit by a car less then 2 miles from post falls idaho.

fish and game has not released a statement, haven't seen any news on this from the Cda press.

wolves have finally made it to the low land - I imagine news will hit Facebook quick when one of the wolves plucks a couple pets!
Or some greenie's brats.

Wow, Dave, that's a lot to swallow.

I know much of it sounds like over dramatization to some, but when you sit back and look at the changes that have come about just in the last 20 years it starts to look pretty legit.
The Yellowstone to Yukon Corridor also caught my attention because right now in Montana, National Geographic is part of a group buying up huge ranches with the intention of returning them to non-ranching (and non-hunting, of course) use. I think it's called the American Prairie Reserve, or something like that. It kind of goes right along with with the Y2Y Corridor...

Scary stuff, no doubt about it!

The podcast was long.... but good also and definately relates to the predator pits,where I live and hunt.It use to be outstanding,now it sucks,and its a wilderness area,no roads etc.Hard to believe

On another note, now that the Holidays are over let's all contact the MT FWP Commission to demand that they NOT lower the quota in 313 and 316. The deadline for public comment is fast approaching, so PLEASE let your opinion be known!

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/publicComments/2019/biennialSeasonSetting.html

It hasn't been publicized why they want to reduce the quota, but MtMuley posted an article that claims the number of wolves in the Park is dropping. Doesn't take much to imagine that is their reasoning.
The problem is the population is not dropping due to hunting OUTSIDE the park- it's dropping because of disease and infighting among the wolves themselves. THIS IS A NATURAL PHENOMENON WHEN PREY SPECIES HAVE BEEN REDUCED AS DRASTICALLY AS THE ELK HAVE BEEN WITHIN THE PARK!
In other words- leave it alone!
The wolf hugging crowd is constantly chanting "Let Nature do her thing" so why don't they?

what time,is a general meeting? Whats on agenda.They heard alot of us at last meeting at Red Lion.Could tell they where frustrated too

On another note, now that the Holidays are over let's all contact the MT FWP Commission to demand that they NOT lower the quota in 313 and 316. The deadline for public comment is fast approaching, so PLEASE let your opinion be known!

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/publicComments/2019/biennialSeasonSetting.html

It hasn't been publicized why they want to reduce the quota, but MtMuley posted an article that claims the number of wolves in the Park is dropping. Doesn't take much to imagine that is their reasoning.
The problem is the population is not dropping due to hunting OUTSIDE the park- it's dropping because of disease and infighting among the wolves themselves. THIS IS A NATURAL PHENOMENON WHEN PREY SPECIES HAVE BEEN REDUCED AS DRASTICALLY AS THE ELK HAVE BEEN WITHIN THE PARK!
In other words- leave it alone!
The wolf hugging crowd is constantly chanting "Let Nature do her thing" so why don't they?

Natural selection does work very well, yes I agree with you as best I can as I do not live there.
Here in our mountains and the local deserts when we have an extra wet winter there is an abundance of jays, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, coons, lizards and the rest the coming spring. This abundance of food is followed by a corresponding increase in predators. Which also falls off when dry winters hit as there is no food. Too many dry winters and disease arises to remove the weak and unhealthy.
One of our biggest problems is tree huggers. Old growth means no undergrowth, no food for the small fry or the deer. Bark beetle comes in, trees die, storm comes in, flash fires. Five years later our forest is renewed.

Hey Elkaholic Hunter,previous Elknut.
IMG_1338.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.