Kill the wolf?

I see this issue never ending. The tree-hugging wolf lovers outnumber big game hunters. The anti hunters are just fine with predator reducing huntable game populations.

A fair amount of hunters are favorable to higher wolf numbers. Why would an IL deer hunter care about wolves, no problem there.

I don't have a problem with a few, many States are above the earlier 'recovery numbers'. When numbers get high, they bump up against the 'social carrying capacity', which is fine with me.

Simply put. Most hunters have never watched the devastating effects of wolves on the ungulates populations. Most hunters don't live were wolves are. Wolves have decimated the elk, deer and moose populations in northern Idaho and Montana. It's easy to sit in your livening room and comment but entail you've watched the effects of wolves first hand your just spouting liberal talking points. The native hunters from these locations were wolves were introduced have been speaking till their blue for years about the first hand Vew of the devastation. Old subject the damage is done. The hunters from Elsewhere who all along have ridiculed us and never stood up for their fellow out of state hunters are finely getting a first hand perspective.

Don't forget the devastation in Canada, they're trying to reduce the numbers also. Apparently the caribou herds have been completely wiped out in some areas.

The govt brought them in, and they appear to want more of them

Ask anyone who has spent time near Gardiner, Mt.

The elk herd there has been DECIMATED by the wolves, yet MT FWP is considering CUTTING the hunt area quota from 2 to ONE. That is not per person- that is one wolf killed in the entire hunt area and the season closes!

The next zone over is being considered for the same cut.

This is arguably the most overpopulated area we have yet they want more of them? We already are not keeping up with pup production!

With some of the things FWP puts out, it's getting harder and harder to believe what they say. They also still claim that those same hunt areas are WAAAAYYYY above their elk population goals, yet ask anyone who hunts there- there are no tags and even fewer elk!
I'm about 40 miles north of Gardiner. You are correct. There is a reason MT requires the game wardens to have a 4 year university degree. So the minimum amount of brainwashing is present prior to hiring. The system is broken/rigged against logic.
There is only agenda. And that agenda does not support freedom, liberty, and hunters rights. Once again it is time for the people to do what needs be done. The legislation, badges, politicians, and biologists had their chance.
Matter of fact I could copy and paste that last paragraph to the end of pretty much any problem in the USA rite now. Time to pick a team and get in the fight?

It would be stupid to think the wolves can exist without the great herds of bison. Without a check and balance the wolves eat themselves out of food. Why are elk populations falling in wolf areas? I would not trust a biologist , they are paid by the people wanting the wolves. To introduce a WOLF that never existed in this area? The big greys they brought from Canada and Alaska never lived in a lot of the areas they transplanted them into, it was a smaller redwolf. So how to correct the problem? You can have only 1 apex preditor. If you sell elk tags and deer tags to people then the people are the apex preditor, but if you want the wolves to be the apex preditor then all hunting as we know it will end. And ranching will suffer, not just in BLM lands but every where the greys migrate. So what becomes more important the sustainable income of the people or the bunny huggers who never live in these areas. Wolves will always be a problem without bison. The whole story about reintroduction of the wolf is a JOKE always has been. Can they exist in parks? That is even questionable.

I hear all sides of this. If you listen to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, the wolves are the epitome of a threat to the whole ecosystem. Western sheep and cattle ranchers will pretty much back that up. We must maintain a balance in the population, or we stand a chance to have another animal go extinct. That cannot happen. I seriously doubt the wolves in the west, will get to the problems caused by feral hogs and coyotes in Texas.
If we don't take out 80% of the wolfs out of Yellowstone now the only animals you will see there in 2 years is starving wolfs. Man thinks he knows how to handle nature all the time and all we do is screw up the natural order of things. They even put brown trout in Yellowstone lake and they are eating all the rainbow trout and cut throats another screw up. And yes if you read the surveys coming out of there everything is great FAKE NEWS.!!!!

I am not only a avid hunter but a trapper certified wolf trapper in the state of Mt.

Wolves don't understand the concept of ecology. When food runs out, they move. Forty miles in a night is not unheard of. In our state, they are now on the east side. In the turn of century, some prolific trappers came from S Dakota.

A big issue is the money. Here is how this now works. A state is thrown into court to fight a endangered listing of the wolf be people such as Sierra Club. It costs all taxpayers to fight the action. The states defense is to have a proven survivability pair number to warrant the argument that listing need to not take place. Its now the only defense the state ( hunters) have.

Yes, with this said, the wolf is here to say. In years gone by it was not the gun or the trap that rid the land of wolves. Structure and 1088 were the poison of choice. Those days are gone to.

The states promote the capture and radio tagging of wolves for release. A single will run back to the family and in the case of livestock predation, the state employs the USDA. That's when the fly boy's come in and take care of the entire issue. They don't do this when your elk heard is decimated.

In the last hundred years or more there has been some reversals in where our wildlife existed. Elk were a plains animal were chance of escape was real. The coyote was more or less a Western animal. Not anymore.

The wolf also finances more government money through allocation and grants. Hunters don't hear about this. Until those issues are are shown sunlight, the problem will remain.

A wolf is a canine with over 20 per cent more brain than the coyote. We have seen the migration of the coyote over throughout the country in the last 50 years. It's my expectation that you will see the same with the wolf now.

Here is somthing that can be done. Trappers cull more wolf than the hunters. Support the trapping industry, wear wolf on your jacket. Turn the tide and denounce the tree huggers that act on emotion.

Sorry gentleman, as said, I love big game, I see the damage to wildlife and the emotional and financial damage to our livestock producers. But as long as the eco lawyers and governmental agencies can make money the wolf is here to stay.

If we don't take out 80% of the wolfs out of Yellowstone now the only animals you will see there in 2 years is starving wolfs. Man thinks he knows how to handle nature all the time and all we do is screw up the natural order of things. They even put brown trout in Yellowstone lake and they are eating all the rainbow trout and cut throats another screw up. And yes if you read the surveys coming out of there everything is great FAKE NEWS.!!!!

Over-population of any breed will cause problems.

When was the last time man really managed or solved anything? There is no way we can control or manage wildlife successfully. Our problem is simple ourselves. Nature will & can take care of herself if we just stay out of her way. It's tough all the way around & I'm sorry for all involved.

The way these invasive species wolves were illegally forced upon us was unconstitutional, illegal, and involved embezzlement for millions of taxpayer dollars. Research it yourself. And the way to deal with the wolf threat is equally as devious and one sided. It's just our turn at batt.

This from Forbes

33,715 views|May 6, 2016,12:29 pm
Why Wolves Are The Unsung Heroes Of Healthy Ecosystems
QuoraContributor
Consumer Tech

This article is more than 2 years old.

What should everyone know about wolves in the wild?

Answer by Oliver Starr, wolf handler and wilds advocate, on Quora:

Wolves are critical to healthy ecosystems – we need wolves more than wolves need us! Please watch this amazing video that helps put in perspective the role wolves play in restoring a damaging ecosystem back to health.

Unlike human trophy hunters, wolves take targets of opportunity – the young, the sick, the injured, the invisibly genetically inferior – in so doing they maintain the health of their prey species. Human hunters kill the fittest animals because they can – wolves improve the strength of their prey, humans consistently diminish it.

Wolves are considered both an apex predator and a keystone species. This means they are at the top of the food chain with no natural other animals that prey upon them for food.

Their reputation as dangerous animals or creatures that kill for enjoyment is simply inaccurate. As predators, wolves consume the flesh of other creatures. Unlike humans, their biology dictates a diet that consists almost entirely of meat. Wolves are the largest of all wild canids and they typically require large prey or a very high density of smaller prey to maintain their presence in an area.

Wolves have been known to eat moose, elk, deer, caribou, bison, musk ox, and virtually every other ungulate species that shares their range. Wolves will also eat smaller animals such as beavers, rabbits, squirrels, mice and, unfortunately, sometimes domestic livestock and pets.

Some people claim that wolves "decimate" they populations of the species they prey upon; however the facts do not bear this out. In the United States we've been documenting wolf recovery in the Northern Rockies for 25 years. We've also been documenting ungulate populations, particularly elk, for even longer.

While it is true that there are a few management units across the whole of the wolf recovery area that do show some reductions in elk numbers, by and large the presence of wolves has resulted in increases in elk populations nearly everywhere they've returned.

Wolves form very close social bonds.
Wolf "packs" are actually families that typically consist of one or more breeding pairs, siblings of the breeders, and the offspring from one or more previous litters.

Lone wolves –perhaps the worst of all the mischaracterizations and vilifications heaped upon wolves is the idea that "lone wolves" are particularly killers or out to cause harm.

Nothing could be further from the truth! Lone wolves are technically known as dispersers and they're not looking for trouble, they're looking for love!

Not all wolves have the makeup to leave their natal group and set off on their own. It's a tremendously risky undertaking that very often results in the dispersing wolf dying in his or her effort to find a mate and start a family of their own.
good job troll, look at your source. Wolves will wipe out an entire herd often partially consuming the fetuses from cows while the cows are still alive.

Well my trolling post didn't stop the chaos from ensuing. Here we are at page 14 calling each other morons.
Lol, way too much passion with the against side to carry on an open dialog, like Berger bullet threads.
I am not going to go as far as calling the op a moRon, but it sure seemed like he was seeking attention, which he got.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.