Kifaru Packs

rowen99

So got my Montana Elk Tags in the mail - first elk/mule deer hunt and looking for a comfortable pack that i can use for both hunting and tactical shooting. Combo i suppose... (if that exists)...

Also say that I ordered a gunslinger II but it didn't seem to fit very well and felt uncomfortable ( 6'2" tall but with wide shoulders and long torso)

After further research - I am really interested in Kifaru packs... wondering if any guys are running them for hunting and which are their "favorites" ...

thanks

I use a bikini frame with a long pocket across the btm for my gear then use the genII meat bag to hold my coat and to hold my quarters when packing meat out. I'll probably use the rambler bag in Wyoming as I'll be doing some spotting and maybe stay out. The spotter pockets and scabbard should fit that hunt pretty well.

I have a Kifaru duplex frame, Mountain Warrior pack with a guide lid. A few small/med belt pouches plus the gun bearer. Absolutely love the pack. From how well it carries weight to how modular the entire system is. They are not cheap, but you certainly get what you pay for.

Rowen99, looks like you are pretty tall too... I am 6'4" and have wide shoulders and the Kifaru fits perfectly. When you order the pack you have to put your height, waste and inseam plus your back profile. They set up the pack to fit your measurments and they certainly got mine perfect.

Call them and ask for Aron Snyder. He'll gladly answer any questions. There's a lot of good information and discussion over on Rokslide.com. Other packs that are popular there are from Stone Glacier, Exo Hunting and Seek Outside.

I'm running a Duplex frame and an EMR II this fall. Just got the EMR II but I had the Timberline 1 for the last couple years on my Duplex frame. The advice to call Aron Snyder and talk is spot on. Kifaru wants you as a customer for life and not just what they can sell you today. Don't wait too long as it takes a while to get one. They make them to order right here in the USA and they are Berry compliant. As it gets closer to season the wait gets longer usually. There is nothing more comfortable imo than a Duplex frame when under a load.

I used the duplex frame with emrII bag and guide lid, two front pouches. It will hold a rediculous amount of gear! The number of strap points makes awkward loads easier. I like the load sling for full 1/4s.

So you guys are taking the pack off the duplex frame to haul quarters? This will be the first year I've hauled quarters with my kifaru. In the past I just shoved quarters into my internal frame pack.

The duplex is the best suspension system on earth! I pretty much always haul quarters inside the pack. I am using the mountain rambelr this year so I will try the load shelf out. Plus Kifaru is pro long range, Eberlestock is not! Then again the Eberle is a joke with over 40 pound in it!!

I used the bag for front 1/4s but moose hind 1/4s will not fit. Removing the bag also keeps it clean while you bloody the sling up. The sling also has many more strap attach options and that really helps with the heavy weight. With the bag you can't move the weight around as well or hold it as secure.

I just opened the box today, got a AMR bag, guide lid, and some small pockets too. I was actually able to try one on ahead of time too. small local shop carrying them. as far as I know not many others have this option. it was my final deciding factor when getting a new pack, being some cant be fitted to you just send measurements. be loading it this weekend for trial run. cant wait!

You won't be disappointed with Kifaru! There are some G1 Late Seasons for sale now on Rockslide. The Eberlestock is the most uncomfortable packs I have ever carried when like said over 40-lbs!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.