Kifaru Gun Bearer

This year I used my Gun Bearer (4th hunt with it) and had my Ruger American Predator with the scope in a downward position. Also I carried the butt with the Gun Bearer butt pocket attached to my pack's hip belt as far rearward on my right side as possible.

This put the barrel further away from my head and made the rifle easier to carry. Thanks to guys on this site for that advice.

I need to use both hiking poles and the Gun Bearer has made this possible.

Eric B.

P.S. Compared to an Eberlestock type rifle pouch (between the pack and your back) the Kifaru Gun Bearer is not only lighter but far quicker to get a rifle up and on target.
The downside compared to a pack rifle pouch is that it is not protected from the elements or from falls like an Eberlestock pack pouch.

Last edited:
it wouldn't work on my friends eberlestock x2 pack. not sure if they have the same hip belt or not

I absolutely love it with my nomad, 10x better than having a sling constantly sliding off your shoulder strap.

Yeah, Tony, it's always right there ready to deploy quickly.

Like "middleofnowhere" sez, at least your hands are free. I absolutely need to use my hiking poles B/C I'm backpack hunting and I need the stability downhill and the extra push uphill.

Plus I use my hiking poles as shooting sticks. I've learned how to quickly twist and cross the handle straps for a rifle rest with the poles X'd.

Eric B.

If you're ski or snowshoe hunting a Gun Bearer is absolutely essential so you can use ski poles for stability. I've hunted both ways (with climbing skins on the skis, BTW) and you can't carry a rifle in your hands - even when snowshoeing. Climbing around obstacles requires ski poles.

The speed at which you can bring up your rifle from a Gun Bearer is Warp Speed compared to pulling it up and out of an Eberlestock pack's rifle pouch.

Eric B.

I've used one on a quad. But I run the barrel under the sternum strap instead of in the upper strap. liken dis.

GunBearer-1.jpg