Kids rifle build suggestions

I'm wanting to build a rifle to hunt coyotes and deer for my sons to share until they can handle the bigger stuff. They are 6 and 11. I have most of the build figured out but I'm unsure which action to go with.

Stock: manners cs1
Barrel: 16" proof or hells canyon carbon fiber
Action: titanium something
Scope: vortex razor ly
Rings: tally lite

Caliber I'm not 100% on yet. 6.8 spc, 6mm br, 6.5 grendel, or maybe something with a 473 bace to make the switch when they get older.

I'm open to suggestions, thanks in advance guys.
How about 243AI? Great varmint and deer round. If you get it w/8tw can shoot heavys

I feel like what ever I build needs to be as close to 5 lbs as possible for small shooters
I'm the opposite. Most of the time a young kid isn't going to be carrying their own rifle and shooting offhand. In that case, a rifle in the 9-10 pounds all scoped up does a lot to reduce recoil and help keep the barrel steady for young shooters. If the child is sitting in a blind or stand, hiking flat country, or your willing to pack the rifle for them in steep country, no sense for a light gun. Also, I don't know about other kids and parents, but no way I'm letting my new young hunter shoot offhand at a deer with any big game rifle. Its going to be with a rest in some form like a backpack, tree, bipod, tripod, etc. Again, because if this, no need for a light rifle.

For me, LOP is much much more important than weight.

I think you are putting to much emphasis on light weight granted with kids you dont want a 12 lb rifle but some weight will reduce recoil and make the rifle easier to shoot well. I think the most important thing is to have a stock that fits them correctly

I think you are putting to much emphasis on light weight granted with kids you dont want a 12 lb rifle but some weight will reduce recoil and make the rifle easier to shoot well. I think the most important thing is to have a stock that fits them correctly
Could be, I guess I can put an Mdt chassis on this savage 6.8 spc and see how he does with it.

Be patient and make it fun for them and the rest will work its self out I wish I was back at that point in time in my life enjoy it it wont last long

Be patient and make it fun for them and the rest will work its self out I wish I was back at that point in time in my life enjoy it it wont last long
You bet it won't. You will soon find they no longer need you. Hopefully though they will still want to hunt with you. Electronic devices with ear buds, snacks, hot chocolate, and a deer feeder are all your friends. Feeder is really great bc there is always something going on and not so boring for them. Another tip. I never wore a coat hunting with the little ones. We would bundle them up with everything we had, and the kids and I would get cold about the same time. They get cold so easily. Leave when they are ready to go, and they will want to go again tomorrow. Be prepared to let a lot of animals get away that you could easily kill, and let them. It is all part of learning. I never got to shoot with them so I started taking my .17 Rem. I would put out an electronic call and play bird sounds real soft. Killed many Bobcats while the kids were hunting deer. Didn't seem to bother them. I have shot a cat and 5 min later the kid killed a deer. .17 in the deer woods is illegal here now. Shame. I really don't know to explain it, but when your child kills a deer, any deer, you will be more excited than even when you shot your first one. You will never forget it for sure.

My daughter started with a 6 BR and I think it's one of the top starter center fire chamberings out there, it's very efficient and good on barrels so they can take it plinking or shooting gophers and get a lot of gun time but you can also load it with a 105 Berger and it'll trap door anything they point it at all with little recoil, excellent brass all the good stuff, my daughter moved from there to a 6.5 Creed with a stock built for her and she's dangerous with it because of all the hundreds of round of easy center fire shooting she got out of the 6 BR.

Howa makes a mini action, so I would look into that action to run a 6 Dasher in. The Dasher will give a bit more oomph to the 6mm bullets, and with an 8 twist, you can run about a 108 grain bullet. If you can't get the action by itself, then go for the 6.5 Grendel rifle.
I have 3 Howa mini actions, 2 300BLK, and 1 6.5 Grendel. I had a 4th in 6.5 Grendel and bought a 5th in 450 Bushmaster, then sold the BM before i ever shot it. I had intended to possibly change out the barrel, but didn't feel comfortable with the smaller bolt diameter and smaller bolt lugs. Wasn't sure that the small bolt and lugs could handle full power .473 cartridges. The 450BM isn't rated near that high. I would hesitate to move beyond the 7.62x39 cartridge case in a Mini action for the same reasons that folks don't run 338 lapua in a Rem 700 (Been done, but stresses the tenon and action)

It is always possible to loose an animal and we have all had that sick feeling, but you can have that happen with any caliber. I have a friend who believes you have to have at least 30 caliber to take deer reliably. He has lost deer shot with 300 wm and 45-70, although rarely. We live I NC where the Virginia strain of Whitetail run small compared to Kansas and Northern strains. A few years ago NC took off all caliber restrictions for deer hunting. Yes that's right we can and do hunt deer with 22lr!!! I have experimented with this over the past 6 years and have found that deer shot broad side with a solid 40 grain lead or copper washed 22lr get complete pass throughs and seldom go more than 20 yds. Distances must be kept under 75 yds and you can't hit any major bones going in. The 22lr doesn't spook them so they don't tend to run, the just walk around a little and then lay down. I don't use hollow points because you want penetration and the solid bullets tumble. The lunges of the first one I cleaned after shooting this way looked like I had shot it with a high-powered rifle. I have only lost one out of a truck load I've shot with 22lr over the past 6 years. By the way one of my hunting buddies is a Wildlife Officer and he hunts deer with 22lr also!!!

Didn't say I lost animals, but I agree that can happen with any cartridge. What I said was many animals were difficult to recover because of little to no blood. Grid searching saved the day. The 243 and soft points didn't perform to my expectations with well placed (lung) shots. I'm not criticizing anyone who uses this cartridge - just sharing my experiences.
Now, back to the original question....

I'm wanting to build a rifle to hunt coyotes and deer for my sons to share until they can handle the bigger stuff. They are 6 and 11. I have most of the build figured out but I'm unsure which action to go with.

Stock: manners cs1
Barrel: 16" proof or hells canyon carbon fiber
Action: titanium something
Scope: vortex razor ly
Rings: tally lite

Caliber I'm not 100% on yet. 6.8 spc, 6mm br, 6.5 grendel, or maybe something with a 473 bace to make the switch when they get older.

I'm open to suggestions, thanks in advance guys.
Why would you want to invest money building a custom rifle for youngsters when there are so many sub zero, over the counter, available rifles. A very simple choice would be a 6.5 Creedmoor because it can handle anything on 4 feet walking in North America with proper shot placement. Recoil is very manageable for small shooters and, for the cost, you can get each one their own. Buy one that is easy to restock and they can still use it when they get older. Then, build each one of them a rifle, if you still love them when they turn 18!

6mm06
i use a 308 ruger compact youth model for my daughter we run 125-130 gr with reduced loads at about 2100 the gun is light and short and when they grow just start loading hotter no need to change guns .

Could be, I guess I can put an Mdt chassis on this savage 6.8 spc and see how he does with it.
Adjust it to fit him and you're golden. FOV trumps everything else in a scope. Keep it as low as possible. Remember how small his face is. not far between the cheek and eye.

Why would you want to invest money building a custom rifle for youngsters when there are so many sub zero, over the counter, available rifles. A very simple choice would be a 6.5 Creedmoor because it can handle anything on 4 feet walking in North America with proper shot placement. Recoil is very manageable for small shooters and, for the cost, you can get each one their own. Buy one that is easy to restock and they can still use it when they get older. Then, build each one of them a rifle, if you still love them when they turn 18!
Because if I buy all the right parts when it needs to be changed , daddy gets to keep the parts... I already have over 50, so what's one more...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.