Kids rifle build suggestions

6mm06guy

I'm wanting to build a rifle to hunt coyotes and deer for my sons to share until they can handle the bigger stuff. They are 6 and 11. I have most of the build figured out but I'm unsure which action to go with.

Stock: manners cs1
Barrel: 16" proof or hells canyon carbon fiber
Action: titanium something
Scope: vortex razor ly
Rings: tally lite

Caliber I'm not 100% on yet. 6.8 spc, 6mm br, 6.5 grendel, or maybe something with a 473 bace to make the switch when they get older.

I'm open to suggestions, thanks in advance guys.

I have a 6.5cr with a shorter LOP for my son (11)....he killed his first deer with it two years ago. Very little recoil, accurate, not finicky at all to load for, and perfect for deer. Not a fanboi and not saying other cartridges can't do the same thing but it works well for what I was looking for.

I cut down a synthetic stock and added a slip on limbsaver pad from a tikka 270 and load 90 gr bullets with a reduced load h4895 then when they are able to hunt big game it's an easy stock swap and 140 accubonds with rl 26. Best wishes I'm sure whatever direction you go your kids will be appreciative.

FWIW you really start losing the weight advantage of carbon with such short barrels. At 16" a 4 contour is going to be close to .8" at the muzzle and I doubt is going to be much heavier than a carbon at all.

won't look as cool though.

My daughter is 12 now but big for her age, and my son is 7 going on 8-- and big for his age too...I started them both with a suppressed 300 Blackout shooting 110s in a contender with a M-4 style stock or a 6.5 Grendel in a AR--they out grew that--we shot a gun a lot like your going to build--I built it in a creedmoor (6.5) it is pretty heavy so we shot it mostly off a pig saddle...I have that gun for sale as it has not got a lot of use--it is scary accurate but almost 10lbs scoped...if I have any advice keep it light--my daughter shoots a savage lady hunter I custom barreled in a 6.5 creedmoor, and my son still shoots my light Grendel AR...as far as cartridges I like the 6.5 creedmoor, 7/08, 260, 243 win, 6mm creedmoor...we have a 7/08 steyr prohunter rifle we loan friends and family when they come and hunt on the farm..it has taken a lot of deer, hogs, and other critters. We also have a rem 700 LTR in a 6.8 that has been shot a bunch--my brother loads it with 95 grain accubonds and as far as I know he said it is a favorite. Think you are on a good track--what I have found out...is if you use a good suppressor the caliber matters a lot less--if kept reasonable the bark is a lot worse than the bite...

Attachments

• IMG_2535.JPG
    IMG_2535.JPG
    804 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2734.JPG
    IMG_2734.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3184.JPG
    IMG_3184.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 162
My daughter is 12 now but big for her age, and my son is 7 going on 8-- and big for his age too...I started them both with a suppressed 300 Blackout shooting 110s in a contender with a M-4 style stock or a 6.5 Grendel in a AR--they out grew that--we shot a gun a lot like your going to build--I built it in a creedmoor (6.5) it is pretty heavy so we shot it mostly off a pig saddle...I have that gun for sale as it has not got a lot of use--it is scary accurate but almost 10lbs scoped...if I have any advice keep it light--my daughter shoots a savage lady hunter I custom barreled in a 6.5 creedmoor, and my son still shoots my light Grendel AR...as far as cartridges I like the 6.5 creedmoor, 7/08, 260, 243 win, 6mm creedmoor...we have a 7/08 steyr prohunter rifle we loan friends and family when they come and hunt on the farm..it has taken a lot of deer, hogs, and other critters. We also have a rem 700 LTR in a 6.8 that has been shot a bunch--my brother loads it with 95 grain accubonds and as far as I know he said it is a favorite. Think you are on a good track--what I have found out...is if you use a good suppressor the caliber matters a lot less--if kept reasonable the bark is a lot worse than the bite...
What is the weight of the blue one in the picture

I cut down a synthetic stock and added a slip on limbsaver pad from a tikka 270 and load 90 gr bullets with a reduced load h4895 then when they are able to hunt big game it's an easy stock swap and 140 accubonds with rl 26. Best wishes I'm sure whatever direction you go your kids will be appreciative.
What is the speed of your reduced loads

They are 2750, we hunt big woods so shots are normally less than 100 yds. This set up I'd feel good to 250 on whitetails. Once you dig into the load data you can push those bullets upward or 3500 with different powders if your concerned with speed or energy and still maintain a light recoil

I think you would be hard to beat a 6mm arc.
It's the 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm.
Factory ammo of match quality. I have both my nieces shooting my 6.5 Grendel with 99gr hammers.
But I built them before the arc was introduced. The 6mm will give you greater distances and is about ideal for kids. Heck I do most my hunting for pigs and deer with my Grendel and never feel lacking in caliber.

Here's my recommendation for new/young shooters:

The 308 has the arguably widest variety of ammo and grows with the shooter better than most. A very drama free cartridge. its my number one recommendation for a first rifle. Ammo is cheap as well.
there's the factory 125 sst reduced recoil load and I loaded a 125 accubond at 2170fps for my daughter's first deer. barely a heartbeat in the scope.
Not a fan of the 243 for deer... have seen far too many well placed shots that left little to no blood(still recovered the animals using a grid search).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.