Kid shooting with bi focal glasses help

I have bifocals and shoot much better with a scope. I can still shoot pretty well with iron sights provided the rear one is a peep sight. I can't focus on it but I can find the center of it. I focus on the front post and put it on the target.

I wear progressive glasses , need about 3X readers up close and my old 1.5X readers work great for non reading distance. I hunt and shoot with my 1.5X's because progressive's muddle up my vision. I have not shot a lot of open sights with my old readers but it did help.

Last edited:
Hi guys my son is turning 5 and loves to shoot. He was diagnosed and had cataract surgery last year now has implants and wears glasses with bi focal. So we have been shooting a lot with mostly open site 22 rifles a Henry cricket and win 94 22. With the open sites he has really struggled to be able to hit targets consistently and I think the main trouble is that either the target or the sites are out of focus. So for his 5th birthday coming up soon purchased a CZ 457 with the Boyd's full adjustable stock on it it has a cheek riser and LOP adjustments and I think he should be able to do well with it. My thinking is that if he could start shooting a optic it might help him hit far more consistently. I have considered a full on high end scope with good paralax adjustment or a red dot to get him going with no eye relief. I was hoping some one else has been through something similar or maybe an older shooter that has bi focal glasses could give me some insight on how to help my son out. Thanks
Solved similar problem by changing my bifocal glasses for progressive lens.

I have been wearing bi-focals for at least 20 years and I shoot both red dot and regular scopes. I can still shoot iron sights if it's a peep and a fibre optic, although I need green dots because I also have astigmatism in one eye and it won't focus red very well. Bi-focals aren't a problem shooting from a bench but off your hind legs it's tough to get a clear view with the reading part of the glasses so I had to find optics with enough adjustment so I could use the top end of my glasses. Most actually do adjust but you end up almost unscrewing the back end and I worry about the integrity of the tube being reduced. So far it hasn't been a big problem.

Or spend the money on a separate set of single vision shooting glasses.....
They may have put the bifocals right where he needs to see thru his glasses at the sights.....
After cataract surgery, his eyes are fixed focus. Iron sights will be a challenge. A scope will allow him to clearly see the target. Keep the bifocals so he has near and far vision, but for shooting, he may need a pair with the bifocal positioned differently.

I was going to reply that it was best to actually ask the cataract surgeon. An ophthalmologist/cataract surgeon has replied to this if you read the posts. Thanks EyeDoc2020.

Last edited:
My son has amblyopia + strabismus from birth. His prescription was a +7.5!! Been wearing glasses since 18 months old. Tomorrow he'll be 34! Loves to hunt & fish. He went into contacts at about 16 years old, prescript now is a +6.5. He is an excellent shot! But not much on open sights. Like the Dr said above, "get him into a good optic"! He will do fine!!

20191209_121213.jpg
600 yds.

I require bifocals and find the regular configuration difficult to shoot with using open sights. I was able to resolve the problem by having my eye doctor customize the orientation of the bifocals to bring focus to the front sight and target.

I wear progressives, but I also had a pair of shooting bifocals made. The top is for distancae, and is not very wide at the top. The rest is the near focus. With a scope or iron sights, I tilt up a bit to look thru the top get "on target" and then tilt back down to look thru the bottom so I focus on the cross hairs or front sight. That made a huge difference for me. Good luck!!!

You sir are an extremely good father and DAD. There is no doubt that your son will do just fine with your guidance. With all that is going on in the country these days general population we see in the news could learn a great deal from you however I doubt they would be willing to listen.

I WEAR BIFOCALS AND USING RED DOT SIGHT I HAVE MAKE SURE I AM LOOKING THROUGH TH TOP *** BOTTOM MAKES DOT BLURRY. I ALSO PUT MY BIFOCAL AS FAR DOWN AS I COULD THAT WAY I CAN USE SCOPE. They can make single vision glasses for shooting as well.

Last edited:
Or spend the money on a separate set of single vision shooting glasses.....
They may have put the bifocals right where he needs to see thru his glasses at the sights.....
I myself have tri vocals...was a bear to get used to.....i shoot much better with my single lense prescription sunglasses....
Could also tint them for him...cuts out some of the glare...and maybe polarized.....
I feel your pain I wear trifocals as well they are a little tough to get comfortable and see properly but it can be done

Hi guys my son is turning 5 and loves to shoot. He was diagnosed and had cataract surgery last year now has implants and wears glasses with bi focal. So we have been shooting a lot with mostly open site 22 rifles a Henry cricket and win 94 22. With the open sites he has really struggled to be able to hit targets consistently and I think the main trouble is that either the target or the sites are out of focus. So for his 5th birthday coming up soon purchased a CZ 457 with the Boyd's full adjustable stock on it it has a cheek riser and LOP adjustments and I think he should be able to do well with it. My thinking is that if he could start shooting a optic it might help him hit far more consistently. I have considered a full on high end scope with good paralax adjustment or a red dot to get him going with no eye relief. I was hoping some one else has been through something similar or maybe an older shooter that has bi focal glasses could give me some insight on how to help my son out. Thanks
I have shot with bifocals for years, plus far correction in the upper part of the glasses. Even $200-300 scopes have an eyepiece adjustment so he can view thru the scope using the upper part of his glasses.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.